Remington 700 ADL Varmint
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Remington 700 ADL Varmint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 700 ADL Varmint

Just got a new 700 just wondering I want to upgrade the scope it came with a piece of crap chinese scope but I dont want to spend much more than $200on a scope. I want a good long range scope but I dont want to give up quality for magnification, I know you can get a 6x600 for 50 bucks but dont really want to go that route. If someone know of a scope the has both quality and long range performance at a good price I could use the advise Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3574 Times on 1836 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Optics planet seems to have some nice scopes in your price range. When in doubt, spend more. Many folks will not bat an eye at spending as much or more for a scope than they did for the rifle.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

vortex crossfire 4-12x40mm

Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #4

Spent a little more than I was planning got a Nikon Coyote 4.5x14x40 seems like a pretty nice scope had some good reviews on the web, the only problem people seemed to have with it was that BDC reticle but I already have one of there scopes with that reticle and I really like the BDC what do you guys think?

Old 03-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #5

Been doin quite a bit of shooting with this rifle, no complants but havent got a chance to try it past 200yrds, I keep reading that the only real downfall to this rifle is the stock being that it isnt bedded and not free floating. Just wondering could a gunsmith bed it and make it free floating. Havent ever done alot of long range shooting but I'd like to start. Theres not many opions on replacment stocks and to be honest I really like the look and feel of the one thats on it now

Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
Spent a little more than I was planning got a Nikon Coyote 4.5x14x40 seems like a pretty nice scope had some good reviews on the web, the only problem people seemed to have with it was that BDC reticle but I already have one of there scopes with that reticle and I really like the BDC what do you guys think?
bdc dials came about for handing out to third rate snipers to get as many shooters in the field as possible to harrass enemy troops. it is a substitute for training and actual shooter skill that really doesnt work that great. my long range scope has mildots and adjustable target turrets with those i can use the dots to allow for changing conditions and different loads via cheat sheets. i know where various loads fall in a given range and can quickly turn the dials to allow for it. you can do it with a bdc turret but its not as easy.

Quote:
Been doin quite a bit of shooting with this rifle, no complants but havent got a chance to try it past 200yrds, I keep reading that the only real downfall to this rifle is the stock being that it isnt bedded and not free floating. Just wondering could a gunsmith bed it and make it free floating. Havent ever done alot of long range shooting but I'd like to start. Theres not many opions on replacment stocks and to be honest I really like the look and feel of the one thats on it now
a decent smith can bed and free float but the real limiting factor is the type of barrel, trigger, and ammo your using. if you got a hunting profiled barrel as in thin diameter you see on a hunting rifle heat warping after a shot or three is you real limiting factor. thats why you see heavier barrels on target style rifles more barrel material greatly offsets and prevents a LOT of the warping that destroys the accuracy of your typical hunting barrel.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #7

Liked 164 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 54

It would be a simple matter for your local smith to bed/free float your rifle.

Quote:

Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #8

Would it be a cost effective alternative to a whole new stock like I said I like the stock but dont want to spend alot of money that could be used to by ammo and practice, what would a round about cost be for this work?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #9

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Would it be a cost effective alternative to a whole new stock like I said I like the stock but dont want to spend alot of money that could be used to by ammo and practice, what would a round about cost be for this work?
Nope it won't be. The factory synthetic stock on the Varmint ADLs is a good starter stock just to get the gun shooting but even bedded and free floated there is too much flex on the factory stock to make it a serious contender for long range use so at some point you'll want an upgrade so you'll be spending the money twice.

For a little more than what the gunsmith will charge to pillar bed (regular bedding is useless in this stock) and free float you can pick up a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock which is a world class stock for that gun. Even with the aluminum bedding block you shoud still bed the recoil lug area (cheap or you can do it yourself) but once you do that I can almost guarantee you the rifle will outshoot your capabilities for a while.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #10

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if you got a hunting profiled barrel as in thin diameter you see on a hunting rifle heat warping after a shot or three is you real limiting factor. thats why you see heavier barrels on target style rifles more barrel material greatly offsets and prevents a LOT of the warping that destroys the accuracy of your typical hunting barrel.
He said he got a Varmint ADL. That gun comes with a Remington varmint profile barrel. Not quite a target barrel but heavier than sporter weight. All the ones I've tried have been more than acceptable shooters from the factory.