Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 adl 308 stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Remington 700 adl 308 stock

Hi, all

I got myself a 308 700 adl, it's a fantastic rifle to shoot and really enjoy taking it to the range and reaching out and touching long range targets.

First thing I noticed is the stock scope that came with it is rubbish, it won't hold zero, there are no numbers on the elevation or windage dials (combine that with the fact that the 'up' arrow on the elevation actually lowers the cross hairs lol)...I've since replaced the scope with a Virtex Diamondback 3.5x10x50, fantastic scope, lifetime warranty and well worth the price.

The next thing I am considering is getting a Choate Ultimate Sniper Scope (picture of the stock is attached below)...my question to you guys is, does anyone out there have on (or shot one)? A lot of the reviews out there seem mostly positive, with the main con seems to be the weight...now since I shoot mostly at a range or if I'm hunting with it, I hunt from a blind, in either prone or with a rest, so I like the idea of a heavier stock.

So what are you opinions, likes, dislikes?

image-4276688669.jpg   image-2642206894.jpg   image-3482933309.jpg  

Glaine ár gcroí, neart ár ngéag agus beart de réir ár mbriathar - ARW
(The cleanliness of our hearts, the strength of our limbs and our commitment to our promise)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Heavier is always better for a rest rifle. Plus it looks sweet. Lol

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

That's what I was thinking regarding the weight (lol and looks)...it has an adjustable cheek rest, shoulder pad and a rough finish for gloved shooting....all this for only $190

(The cleanliness of our hearts, the strength of our limbs and our commitment to our promise)

Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #4

Liked 694 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Does your rifle shoot good groups now? Any changes to your rifle will effect accuracy (for better or worse). If your rifle shoots good now, why mess with it?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

My groupings are 'ok' now...but the majority if that was due to an ineffective scope, the new one is giving ms much better groupings but still not what I would consider to be amazing...part of that tho is user error, mistakes I've been making that I am aware of and working to correct...but one thing I do find is the standard rifle grip in the prone position does become uncomfortable after awhile...I'm thinking the pistol grip, combined with the added weight will ease that discomfort, allowing me to shoot for longer and tighten up my groupings even more

That's the logic behind my thinking at any rate

Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebo

First thing I noticed is the stock scope that came with it is rubbish, it won't hold zero, there are no numbers on the elevation or windage dials (combine that with the fact that the 'up' arrow on the elevation actually lowers the cross hairs lol)...
I know most pkg deals don't come with high end scopes but FYI... "up" indicates the direction the point of impact will move, moving the POI up requires the reticle to move down, so there was not actually a problem in that regard. I also find many new owners try a different brand or grain of bullet with each range visit and then complain the scope won't hold zero when the change in poi is due to the ammo change. In any case the Vortex should treat you well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebo
....The next thing I am considering is getting a Choate Ultimate Sniper Scope (picture of the stock is attached below)...my question to you guys is, does anyone out there have on (or shot one)? A lot of the reviews out there seem mostly positive, with the main con seems to be the weight...now since I shoot mostly at a range or if I'm hunting with it, I hunt from a blind, in either prone or with a rest, so I like the idea of a heavier stock.

So what are you opinions, likes, dislikes?
Due to issues with my grip hand, I prefer a pistol grip although I'm not a fan of the way the Choate looks ... for the money it is a decent stock, I prefer McMillan but you will pay more to go that way.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

The ammo point is a very good point, I am quite new to rifle shooting and didn't consider that...I usually shoot Winchester or Remington brands, but you are correct, I gave been switching brands. As for the reticle point, that makes sense, I didn't think about that...although that being said I will say the stock scope is still a pos, when I removed it to put on the vortex I noticed deep gouges on the side if the scope where the rings were biting into it with the recoil of standard factory loads. Those McMillans look very nice, just a little out of my price range atm...but it might be something I consider down the line.

Thanks for your input mate

Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #8

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

The up arrow is supposed to lower the crosshair when you turn it in the direction of the arrow. When you lower the crosshair you have to raise the muzzle to raise POA.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Aye TCH2FLY already explained that...I'm new to rifles and didn't realize that