Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Remington 700 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-700-a-61961/)

elfmdl 04-06-2012 02:33 PM

Remington 700

WHat is the most out of the box accurate .308 Remington 700 for under $1,000?

Sniper03 04-06-2012 02:52 PM

Elf,

I guess I would ask! Are you speaking about a hunting rifle?
If so I purchased a Model 700 CDL four years ago. Had a trigger job done on it at 3.5 lbs. And it has grouped a five shot group averaging under 1/2 inch at 100 yards when sighting it in with less than 25 rounds through the barrel. This was done with Remington 150 grain Accu-Tips. It is in 7 MM Rem. Mag. Cal. My sniper rifle which I still have is a Remington 40X in (7.62X51) 308 cal. which is also a fantastic shooter but a little more than $1000 but worth every penny. I have shot it on several occasions out to 1000 yards.
Forgot to mention Remington builds one of the police models in the 700 PSS or TWS what ever they call it today. It is a very accurate rifle right out of the box. I a little heavy for hunting but great for target and obviously LE Sniper work!

As far as very accurate 308 rounds. Federal GM308M 168 grain BT-HP are the most accurate I have ever shot!

blucoondawg 04-06-2012 02:56 PM

I haven't personally seen a 700 that wasn't accurate, there are some Remington haters on here who will state otherwise but there are also people who will tell you chocolate milk comes from a brown cow:rolleyes:. I have a 700 ADL in .243 I am not particularly fond of it because I don't really like the "cheap" synthetic stock they have on these nowdays and it doesn't have a trapdoor to unload the magazine, but it will put 5 shots touching one another at 100 yards, it is very accurate, I say get whichever one you like and you won't be disappointed, I like the look of the CDL personally.

Model70 04-06-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg
I haven't personally seen a 700 that wasn't accurate, there are some Remington haters on here who will state otherwise but there are also people who will tell you chocolate milk comes from a brown cow:rolleyes:. I have a 700 ADL in .243 I am not particularly fond of it because I don't really like the "cheap" synthetic stock they have on these nowdays and it doesn't have a trapdoor to unload the magazine, but it will put 5 shots touching one another at 100 yards, it is very accurate, I say get whichever one you like and you won't be disappointed, I like the look of the CDL personally.

I'm a Remington hater. Grrrrr!!

Were does chocolate milk come from then? LOL!

I couldn't say what ones are the most accurate out of the box, I think most are supposed to be MOA capable with quality ammo. I always liked the BDL & CDL's best, but I'm a blued and walnut guy.

cbibb 04-06-2012 03:47 PM

I have both 700rem a 40x and savage rifles they are all good and the700 has allot of accessories out there on the market the biggest thing is if you buy a factory rifle bed it and float the barrel and get the trigger tuned on it you cant go wrong

elfmdl 04-06-2012 03:47 PM

It would mainly be a target gun, but I would occassionaly take it coyote hunting.

Axxe55 04-06-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elfmdl (Post 763560)
It would mainly be a target gun, but I would occassionaly take it coyote hunting.

several models of the M700 might be of interest to you. the SPS Varmint in 308, MSRP of $732, the VLS, MSRP of $1045, the VTR, MSRP of $825. of course thes prices should be lower at the gun dealer. i really like the looks of the VLS, with it's laminated stock. the SPS Varmint and the VLS both have 26" heavy barrels and the VTR has the newer Remington 22" triangular barrel.

blucoondawg 04-06-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model70 (Post 763556)
I'm a Remington hater. Grrrrr!!

Were does chocolate milk come from then? LOL!

I couldn't say what ones are the most accurate out of the box, I think most are supposed to be MOA capable with quality ammo. I always liked the BDL & CDL's best, but I'm a blued and walnut guy.

You are the latest hater I has thinking about lol. I too prefer the blued walnut look, I'll take laminated if I have to, synthetic isn't my thing, I only have that ADL cuz my dad bought it cheap, I would've gotten a wood one.

elfmdl 04-06-2012 04:27 PM

Will the .308 sps varment shoot at least .5 moa groups at 100 yards?

Axxe55 04-06-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg (Post 763588)
You are the latest hater I has thinking about lol. I too prefer the blued walnut look, I'll take laminated if I have to, synthetic isn't my thing, I only have that ADL cuz my dad bought it cheap, I would've gotten a wood one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elfmdl (Post 763602)
Will the .308 sps varment shoot at least .5 moa groups at 100 yards?

Blu, check into Boyd's Gunstocks. they carry some very nice laminated stocks that would be perfect for that ADL. i have bought two of their stocks so far, and am very pleased with them. i also have an ADL in 204 Ruger that i am going to restock in a Boyd's laminate stock. their prices are very reasonable too.

elfmdl, i don't know for a fact that it will deliver that, but don't see why not if you find an ammo selection it likes or if you handload, you could certainly work up some very accurate loads.