Remington 700 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Dillianger how about taking a break from bad mouthing the 700 we all know you think we should trow them in the river and buy your best of the best Jap rifle.
When last I checked, you were the only one taking this so personally. This is a forum for learning things when questions are asked. As has been stated, ad nauseum, from my very first review of three rifle actions - there isn't any malice or stone throwing, it's all facts. Nothing that has been posted can't be backed up with pictures provided and with cold hard facts direct from the history books themselves.

We keep hearing all these stories about the great untouched Remington rifles that roll off the presses and shoot 1,000 yard groups the size of quarters, get even the newest of shooters their very own trophy bucks and Hog's Tooth necklaces from the Murder Inc. set.

So many stories of so and so did this and that with their Remington 700. That's great. Stories make for great entertainment, but there are still facts about ALL WEAPONS discussed on this very forum that people in the know find fault with. Glocks, SKS's, 1911's, and even the mighty Remington 700.

Stop taking the sharing of information, and one person's opinion, on this one subject so personally. I rechecked the question of the thread starter and it didn't say I couldn't answer with my opinion, the same way you could answer with yours, because it's still a free country - at least for now.

Unless your name happens to be Remington, you don't have anything to worry about.

And for the record, I never said anyone should throw any weapon in the river - that would be a waste of a perfectly good gun. I am here to help provide information and insight just like, I would suspect, you are.

For Christ's sweet sake - It's still the internet. If any one person was making a life altering decision or major purchase based on the information gleamed from one forum board response, I would say what rifle to buy would be the LEAST of their problems.

Can we safely agree to disagree on this one lone topic? Or do we need to drag this debate from thread to thread whenever the subject comes up?

JD

Old 05-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #22

[QUOTE=Dillinger;24796]When last I checked, you were the only one taking this so personally. This is a forum for learning things when questions are asked. As has been stated, ad nauseum, from my very first review of three rifle actions - there isn't any malice or stone throwing, it's all facts. Nothing that has been posted can't be backed up with pictures provided and with cold hard facts direct from the history books themselves.

We keep hearing all these stories about the great untouched Remington rifles that roll off the presses and shoot 1,000 yard groups the size of quarters, get even the newest of shooters their very own trophy bucks and Hog's Tooth necklaces from the Murder Inc. set.

So many stories of so and so did this and that with their Remington 700. That's great. Stories make for great entertainment, but there are still facts about ALL WEAPONS discussed on this very forum that people in the know find fault with. Glocks, SKS's, 1911's, and even the mighty Remington 700.

Stop taking the sharing of information, and one person's opinion, on this one subject so personally. I rechecked the question of the thread starter and it didn't say I couldn't answer with my opinion, the same way you could answer with yours, because it's still a free country - at least for now.

Unless your name happens to be Remington, you don't have anything to worry about.

And for the record, I never said anyone should throw any weapon in the river - that would be a waste of a perfectly good gun. I am here to help provide information and insight just like, I would suspect, you are.

For Christ's sweet sake - It's still the internet. If any one person was making a life altering decision or major purchase based on the information gleamed from one forum board response, I would say what rifle to buy would be the LEAST of their problems.

Can we safely agree to disagree on this one lone topic? Or do we need to drag this debate from thread to thread whenever the subject comes up?

JD[/QUOT

I agree but anyone feels the need to hurl a Remmington in the drink, I have a 710 behind the water closet in the atic you can have.......hate it!.........

Old 05-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #23

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I was not trying to dredge up old threads. I was just givin ya some ribbin there Dillinger. You can like what ever you want. I will still like the best out there.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #24

I have two. One is 33 years old. My favorite rifle,chambered in 270 win. I have a short action one too in 7mm saum. I'm thinking of selling it. Nothing wrong with it I'm just thinking of simplifing.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #25

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have Remington 700 rifles that shot small groups out of the box but I also had new a Rem 700 rifle which required glass bedding the action ,free floating the barrel, adjusting the trigger pull from 6 1/2 pounds down to 3 pounds, and had a gunsmith lapp the bolt locking lugs and re crown the muzzel to get it to shoot groups under one inch. I may get an other Remington but I know that I may have to give it a tune up to be accurate. Good luck

Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #26

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
Triggers on some are terrible as far as weight goes. I measured a friend's at 7.3 lbs once. caused him to miss a whole deer at 60 yards!
If your friend missed a buck at 60 yards, I'd hazard a guess that was not the trigger that caused him to miss, but that may be his excuse.

I own a Remington 700 in .270 win, and love it. There is a reason they were / are the basic platform for military sniper rifles.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 06-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #27

i have a rem 700 LTR (.308 win) with leupold mark 4 PR on a Precision Reflex rail. oh yea, the optic is mounted on mark 4 rings. i'm still doing a barrel break in. can't find time to go to the range. i should get a divorce. lol. every arsenal needs a good accurate bolt gun.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #28

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4 View Post
every arsenal needs a good accurate bolt gun.
Truer words have never been spoken.... Although I would add the words "At Least One"

JD

Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

The quality, perfomance and fairly low price of Rem 700s put Winchester M 70s out of business and a lot of other competitors too. No, it's never been quality competitor to custom Holland and Hollands, etc, but the price is significantly lower.

The only factory rifles I would prefer are the Sakos but the pretty ones also sell at much higher prices.