Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkeith View Post
Anyone here own, owned or shoot a 700?

What are your opinions on it overall?
I did a write up for the forum on comparisons of three popular production actions. It would be worth your time to read through so you can make an informed decision.

I personally don't own any Remingtons, for reasons you will see in the write up, but that does not mean they can't be made to shoot. They have some flaws, one of which is the bolt handle mentioned above and one of which is the shell extractor.

Remington is a fine marketing company that happens to make firearms.

JD

Old 05-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #12

Default my experience

As a former U.S. Army marksman observer, I have nothing but positive things to say about the Remington product. There are several reasons why the military puts the Remington M-24 in the hands of their best shooters; accuracy, reliability, durability, and cost. Without dropping thousands an a milspec rifle, you can pick up an exceptional firearm in the 700 SPS or VTR. These are the same rifles used by many tac teams in the law enforcement community. The VTR in particular is an amazing gun for the price. Take a look at Bud's gun shop and save yourself a couple of hundred dollars.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #13

Remington has been around for a very long time and make some very nice rifles

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlfry View Post
There are several reasons why the military puts the Remington M-24 in the hands of their best shooters
Actually if you look into the background of the weapon you will see that when the military was shopping for a new boltgun, they wanted a short action, of which there were only two true production short actions on the market at the time. One of which was Sako, a foreign company, and the only other true manufacturer of a short action was Remington, at the time, a US owned company.

As I have stated over and over again, a good gunsmith can make any rifle action shoot bug holes all day long - but everyone should do their research and know what they are getting.

After all, can you honestly say that our Armed Forces are truly given the best overall products out there? Or are they given what is available on a production scale, at a price the military is wishing to pay?

JD

Old 05-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #15

Default a soldier's letter.

Dear Mon and Dad,

Here I am six thousand miles away from home in a hostile war torn country and I am armed with a rifle made by the lowest bidder.

Anyone ever felt that way?

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbwbass View Post
Dear Mon and Dad,

Here I am six thousand miles away from home in a hostile war torn country and I am armed with a rifle made by the lowest bidder.

Anyone ever felt that way?
Okay, that was funy, but it was sad at the same time. How about the fact that you are wearing Interceptor Ceramic and not allowed to field, even if funded by your family, DragonSkin Body Armor. Not cool.....

JD

Old 05-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #17

Default one reason

That was supposed to be sad. And it was true in my case. My M16 was junk and I carried several things else instead.

Todays policies by both our government and some of its military leaders is one reason I changed careers. My heart and support is with those who serve our country more than you can imagine, but my own stubbornness and inability to follow stupid orders would make me a commander's nightmare. I didn't want brig time for having that character flaw.

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #18

have one in 3006 ADL bare bones model and I like it I like my dads 788 better tho and its cheaper and I believe everything is pretty much the same.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Dillianger how about taking a break from bad mouthing the 700 we all know you think we should trow them in the river and buy your best of the best Jap rifle.

The 700 is a great rifle and great action. My 700 shoot .411" groups with no gunsmithing at all (700 VLS). I bought and installed a Timney trigger in it. When I get the money it is going to get a match barrel installed on it in either 223 rem (What it is chambered for now) or a 223 AI.

You can buy a Savage or a Remington and get a quality rifle made in the USA. Or you can buy a HOWA and get a good rifle made in JAPAN. If I were buying a Remington 700 I would not buy a SPS model as they have a cheap chineese injection molded hollow stock go with a bit of a higher grade model with a better stock like the VLS or VSSF VSSF-II.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbwbass View Post
That was supposed to be sad. And it was true in my case. My M16 was junk and I carried several things else instead.

Todays policies by both our government and some of its military leaders is one reason I changed careers. My heart and support is with those who serve our country more than you can imagine, but my own stubbornness and inability to follow stupid orders would make me a commander's nightmare. I didn't want brig time for having that character flaw.
Could have been worse you could have been armed with an SA80! About the only good things to say are the magazines are a lot better than the M4....