Remington 700 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
Maybe 50-60 years ago bench rifles
It seems to me if you are going to making statements as to a certain type of gun being junk that you should site some legitimate examples which can be proven otherwise you sound like someone who simply has an ax to grind with Remington. I for one don't believe the products of a whole company have went to hell just because you say so when plenty of proof and user experience says otherwise

Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #22

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
What caliber do you have that in?
It is a .308

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #23

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg

It seems to me if you are going to making statements as to a certain type of gun being junk that you should site some legitimate examples which can be proven otherwise you sound like someone who simply has an ax to grind with Remington. I for one don't believe the products of a whole company have went to hell just because you say so when plenty of proof and user experience says otherwise
Kenny jarrett, John Lazzeroni , as well as other custom builders stopped using Remington action. Their quality is not what it was 15-20 years ago. I love my Remington 700s which I own many. Look in a gun mag ad see how many product recalls they have.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #24

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

All I find online about the 700 is some probem with the trigger mechanism and safety which could cause accidental discharge? This was on the older 700s they apparently changed the design recently to eliminate the part that caused the issue.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #25

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg
All I find online about the 700 is some probem with the trigger mechanism and safety which could cause accidental discharge? This was on the older 700s they apparently changed the design recently to eliminate the part that caused the issue.
I'm saying as a company they have their problems and the 700 is not what it used to be. Not a bad rifle, just not what it once was.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I just picked up an M700 SPS Varmint 308 and I've gotta say the fit and finish on this rifle is great and I am VERY picky about quality fit and finish.

Yes it's a cheap polymer stock (which I'll likely replace in a year or so) but it's not noticeably flexible like I've heard online, fits the action snug and has even gaps along the barrel.

The mat black coating on the action and barrel is very even and clean. Of course the action is not smoothest out there but this is a $550 rifle so I don't expect it to feel like a custom $2000+ rifle.

The ****ty X-mark Pro trigger I've read so many negative things about also doesn't feel bad at all. No it's not a Jewell but there is no take up and seems to break clean. We'll see if that feeling lasts through some use though. The one thing I really don't like about the x-mark trigger is that at the lowest setting the screw sticks out far and hits your finger.

I expect it will be an accurate rifle after a careful break-in. Can't wait to get to the range!

I mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MRAD in Burris Signature Zee rings on a Nightforce 20MOA base. The Nightforce base is awesome, feels like it's bedded to the action when it's just sitting on top with no screws, and has a built in recoil lug. Also mounted a Harris bi-pod. Next on the short list is a tactical bolt knob. Down the road I'll upgrade the stock and trigger.

Here's a crappy iphone pic...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 03-18-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #27

Liked 413 Times on 227 Posts

When it comes time for a new stock you may look into Choat stocks I have a few of them and couldn't be happier with the price and quality.

image-2616027110.jpg

play the victim, be the victim

Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin81 View Post
When it comes time for a new stock you may look into Choat stocks I have a few of them and couldn't be happier with the price and quality.

Attachment 41844

play the victim, be the victim
Thanks man i'll check 'em out. That looks great!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2624 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

I think they are like all other manufacturers. There are various grades = quality of various models a company produces.
Like the bargain barrel rifles most all of them make for Wal-Mart and gun shops who have the customer that has limited funds. This level of rifle certainly does not have the TLC or the top quality of parts in it to and including the cost of the stock and fitting compared to their upper level production quality.
I have a few Remington Rifles from old to newer. An Older 700 ADL a 40X Remington LE Sniper Rifle and the latest purchase three years ago which is a Remington 700 CDL which is a fantastic rifle and extremely accurate at sub 1/2 MOA groups on occasion. It is in 7mm Rem Mag. So I would have to say it depends on the model level of the rifle. From the Bargain Basement Models to the CDL and the 40X at the top.
So generally I think their quality is still one of the best! However for a hunting rifle SAKO is way up there!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 03-18-2012 at 10:38 PM.