Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 700

I think that the new Remington 700 rifles have really gone down in quality and have started to lean more towards quantity produced. There nothing like the older 700. Is there anyone out there that thinks the same way as I do or feel differently about it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16875 Times on 9779 Posts
Likes Given: 43998

so do you actually own one or actually shot one, or just going by a bunch of internet trash talk? i own several Remington M700's, but i haven't bought a new one in several years. at my LGS, a couple of weeks ago, a gentleman i know, took delivery of three M700's he had ordered, and i handled them, and looked them over, one was the 50th Anniversary model BDL, another was a CDL SF and the other was a SPS Long Range. i didn't see any slippage in quality, fit or finish. the only thing that persuades me into buying them used vs. new is the high price. but then again, Weatherby, Rugar and others are not cheap either for a nice quality rifle. so i will ask, what is your basis for your assumptions that their quality has slipped from past products?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #3

Yea I own a older one and I have shot quite a few of newer ones my buddys have and they all seemed to have dropped in quality I believe

Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

The craftsmanship in the wood wasn't there and it seemed after they heated up a little they lose there accuracy more than the older ones. I could be mistaken but that's what I saw happening. That's why I started this thread.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

i am not sure as to what you are seeing, but as i stated earlier, i saw three brand new ones come out of the boxes and there was any slippage in craftsmanship of fit and finish. looked every bit as good as many i bought new many years ago. i think you are buying into this internet hype that many are spreading about something they don't really have first hand knowledge of. i also own three Marlin X7 series rifles, two have Marlin proof marks on the barrel and the last one with the Remington proof mark, and there is no difference in the quality in any of them. another internet myth, that Marlin slipped in quality when they moved operations to the Remington plant.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #6

First post here. I felt as though I could provide some insight. Some of the R700s have made a distinct drop in quality. The difference is that they sell several models made to order for big box retailers. The materials used in these models are inferior to the other 700s because the stores want the most profit margin, so the big green makes them with less durable materials. As a general rule, if you want time honored quality in any firearm, you should buy from small shops that do not sell compromised items. These differences are subtle and would not be noticed by someone who is a first time buyer ie: sloppy bolt movement, tarnished barrel, lower quality stocks, etc. Hope this helped.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #7

Liked 200 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Some years ago my dad picked up a 700 from Walmart, it is a 243 with the matte 870 express type finish and a synthetic stock, which seems pretty cheap compared to some of the other synthetics I have seen, also this 700 doesn't have the door on the bottom of the mag to unload it, you have to bolt all the ammo out the action, I will say that this 700 doesnt seem the quality of the nicer BDLs and older models, but it sure shoots as good as any of them. I think it is a matter of you get what you pay for, if you want a beautiful accurate 700 go to a gun shop and buy a high end model, if you want something cheap that you don't have to worry about scratchin it up but it still shoots good, buy a cheap model.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenalphaone View Post
First post here. I felt as though I could provide some insight. Some of the R700s have made a distinct drop in quality. The difference is that they sell several models made to order for big box retailers. The materials used in these models are inferior to the other 700s because the stores want the most profit margin, so the big green makes them with less durable materials. As a general rule, if you want time honored quality in any firearm, you should buy from small shops that do not sell compromised items. These differences are subtle and would not be noticed by someone who is a first time buyer ie: sloppy bolt movement, tarnished barrel, lower quality stocks, etc. Hope this helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
Some years ago my dad picked up a 700 from Walmart, it is a 243 with the matte 870 express type finish and a synthetic stock, which seems pretty cheap compared to some of the other synthetics I have seen, also this 700 doesn't have the door on the bottom of the mag to unload it, you have to bolt all the ammo out the action, I will say that this 700 doesnt seem the quality of the nicer BDLs and older models, but it sure shoots as good as any of them. I think it is a matter of you get what you pay for, if you want a beautiful accurate 700 go to a gun shop and buy a high end model, if you want something cheap that you don't have to worry about scratchin it up but it still shoots good, buy a cheap model.
are you sure you're not mistaking the M770 for the M700? as the M770 is a very cheaply made Remington bolt action. these were made cheaply as entry level rifles, usually with a scope as a combo to sell in the chain stores very cheap.

the one your dad has is an older ADL synthetic stocked rifle, and the stocks are the cheapest part of the rifle. the SPS took the place of the ADL. the ADL years ago had wood stocks, just like the BDL, but had blind magazines, instead of a dropping floorplate. not for sure when, but the ADL went to synthetic stocks, then became the SPS which the stocks are somewhat better, but these are the economy version of the M700 rifles.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #9

Liked 200 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

the one your dad has is an older ADL synthetic stocked rifle, and the stocks are the cheapest part of the rifle. the SPS took the place of the ADL. the ADL years ago had wood stocks, just like the BDL, but had blind magazines, instead of a dropping floorplate. not for sure when, but the ADL went to synthetic stocks, then became the SPS which the stocks are somewhat better, but these are the economy version of the M700 rifles.
Ya I know, like I said you get what you pay for, myself when and if I pick up a 700, I been wanting to replace a 22-250 I sold years ago, I'll get the high quality BDL or whatever they call the good one nowadays simply because I like the looks of a nice wood bolt action rifle, I won't worry about quality or accuracy out of any rifle or shotgun from Remington, other than the 22 autos as I have never had luck with the actions on them.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just recently bought a new 700 sps tactical in .308. New model with the x mark trigger system and I have not had any problems. The stock I dont care much for but that's not what I paid for and I can always replace it. With the proper ammo I shoot .5 moa with it all day. Even with the barrel getting hot but I think that might have something to do with it being a heavy barrel. Idk Ive always been a fan of Remington.
Just my .2 cents