Remington 700
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 700

Just to clear the fog, im inexperienced, just about as inexperienced as you can get, and was just wondering whether this was a good gun, (308-ish size caliber), i have read and read about it and other guns but living where i do (ireland) it has been piecemeal info, i just want peoples opinions as hopefully i will be buying my first firearm (other than an air rifle) as soon as i move over to the US. I dont know, maybe this is a ridiculous gun to propose (and suggest others if you think of them) but please shed some light, wikipedia etc can only do so much...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That was on tv a few nights ago here about the gun going off without touching the trigger.I would pass on it and buy a SAVAGE.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #3

Thanks, much appreciated, will have a better look at the site

Old 08-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

well i was actually leaning towards a rem, 700 as my next purchase. if there is a problem. a trigger job can fix that. but i doubt it great thing about the 700 is its one of the more customizable bolt rifles. and you are looking at a great caliber in .308. its a nice heavy hitting round that has lots of ammo and versatility. i would def go with it.. but to add to the choice. savage, tikka and winchester also make great rifles.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #5

Haha you see id never heard of tikka before so thanks ill have a nice drool over their websites n stuff n plan and i do actually like the idea of building or even just tweaking your rifle....

Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
That was on tv a few nights ago here about the gun going off without touching the trigger.I would pass on it and buy a SAVAGE.
those were maladjusted on purpose to do that for the msnbc special to vilefile remington.

remington 700 do NOT misfire just by wiggling the bolt unless the sear adjusting screw has been turned past its stop.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #7

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

308 is a good caliber and the 700r is a great gun.if all you have ever shot is a pellet rifle you may want to shoot a few different calibers before choosing one on hearsay. It would also depend on what you intend to use the gun for.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #8

I've owned a Remington 700 in .243 for about 15 years and I love it. A few years ago, I bought a Browning Micro Hunter in 7mm-08 and I'm very fond of that as well. I have a Savage 111 in .30-06 and I have to say, I don't like it all that much. It doesn't handle nice, it isn't as accurate as you would expect a Savage to be, and the felt recoil is worse than other rifles I have shot in that caliber.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #9

Haha there seems ta be a lot up to personal preference :P but thank you all for your input its good to have first hand opinions

Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #10

Likes Given: 1

I have a remington 700 in 30-06 that is a very nice rifle .accuracy is great, bolt is smooth, wood is pretty. there is no problem with the trigger