Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 700

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but Im having troubles for the specific answer im looking for.

I'm looking into buying a Remington 700 for target shooting purposes only. From a range of 100-1000. I want it in .308.

My question is, with there being a billion different remington 700 models which ones are specifically or were somewhat made for the target shooter. Which model should I look into. Ive seen people say sps tactical or sps Varmint, is this information correct? Why are there a billion different models like this?

Once again I apologize for this being asked over and over, but if someone could just explain briefly some differences that would help.

Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #2

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Tactical will have a shorter barrel for less weight and more mobility.

While varmint guns have the longer barrel, as they're not intended to be run around in the field. This gives the greater accuracy at distance.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #3

Liked 182 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 296

on the contrary....tactical rifles DO have shorter barrels...BUT they are thicker and add MORE weight to the gun. this is to keep down wear on the barrel during frequent shooting and to lessen the recoil

Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
on the contrary....tactical rifles DO have shorter barrels...BUT they are thicker and add MORE weight to the gun. this is to keep down wear on the barrel during frequent shooting and to lessen the recoil
A tactical barrel might be heavier than that of a sporting or hunting rifle, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to be no heavier than a varmint barrel...

Old 01-15-2011, 05:38 AM   #5

If you're going to be shooting targets out to 1000, then get the SPS Varmint 26". If you want the best in accuracy, then get a new stock for it. I opted for a Bell& Carlson Medalist. It helped dramatically. Get decent optics, the minimum would be one of the SWFA Super Sinpers with Burris Signature Zee rings. You'll have a decent set-up that will allow you to learn on a minimum of funds.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #6

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
A tactical barrel might be heavier than that of a sporting or hunting rifle, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to be no heavier than a varmint barrel...
Thanks mate.

Apparently he thinks pencil barrels make varmint guns! My 13 pound setup would blow his mind!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

OK First welcome to the board. Please feel free to jump over to the Introduction section and tell us a little about your self.

Now my good man There is a HUGE difference in shooting at 100 yards to shooting at 600 yards. That difference gets even bigger at 1k. 1k yards is over 1/2 Mile you get this right?

I do believe that both the 20" and 26" barrels have the same controur I might be mistaken on this.

Now accuracy is not the only thing determined by barrel length. Muzzle velocity is also drastically changed with a barrel 6" shorter. In the 308 your going to lose about 20 FPS for every inch you lose off the barrel so you are already being the 8 ball losing 120 fps by going from a 26" to 20" barrel. As far as not packing a 26" barrel around a field if that was not to happen then where are there sling swivel studs on my Remington VLS? I packed that thing all over god creation ground hog hunting. I rig total is 13+# that is VLS Nikon Monarch scope sling and 13-27" bipod 6 rounds of 223 in the mag and chamber and 6 more on the but. But I digress.... The 308 while capable at targets at 1000 yards is not the be all end all 1000 yard shooting cartridge. There are tons of different calibers out there that are much better suited to shooting long distance. The big thing in shooting 1000 yards is to make sure your bullet stays super sonic all the way to the target. A 308 has a very hard time doing that even with a 175 gr bullet. You should have a 10" twist barrel on a 308 for shooting 1k this is to allow for shooting 175 gr and up bullets to help keep it going super sonic out to 1k. What are you talking about keeping it super sonic. When a bullet exits the barrel it is going faster than the speed of sound. As it travels to the target it slows down. When we get to 1140 fps (Roughly the speed of sound at sea level). It transitions to sub sonic and can be come unstable from that.

Shooting a 308 at 1k requires many things. Good rifle, great scope, and a great shooter. How long have you been shooting? How far do you shoot? Do you have access to 1000 yard range? Not many people do.....

If your stuck on a Remington get a 700P with 5r rifling. If you are not then get the better rifle in the savage LRPV or F-class rifles.

Now if we can stop acting like a bunch of kids fighting over the last cupcake I think we can still salvage this thread.

PS I have a buddy that is shooting a 6mm dasher and hitting a 18" steel at 1 mile.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #8

Ive been shooting awhile, though have been just recently trying to learn all the variables in shooting long distances. I have shot before around 700yards with someones rifle and really enjoyed it. The range I would be shooting at goes to 800, 900 yards if i remember correctly. Im not trying to achieve shooting as long as possible I just want to go out to start out with and shoot for fun probably between 100 and 600 yards, and if i get the chance to try and shoot beyond that.

From what I have heard 308 is a good starting round. I understand there a vast amount of properties that affect the outcome, twist, bullet grain, etc. etc. etc. Ive had good luck with Remington, and of course there are far superior rifles out there, but I dont need that right now.

There are just so many 700's its confusing. If the savage LRPV is a better riffle I will look into that, I have just had good luck with Remington in the past, however if thats the case I would imagine there are a billion different Savage rifles in that class too.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just out of curiosity at some point in the last week or two have you seen the movie Shooter?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #10

actually I haven't heard of that movie, but it would be nicer if you would be helpful instead of flaming me, and thus probably closing this thread.