Remington 700 7mm Mag - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 7mm Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 57

You guys are correct, I do have a good studet, and a life long shooting partner. Too bad my 10 year old only likes the 22. Maybe I can get him to come around?

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #62

Since I have gotten the 7 Mag back from the smith, I have not been completely confident in my ability with it. It(me) would seem to shoot fine one day, and totally buger up the next day. I had to call the barrel manufacture to find out what twist rate my barrel is. Comes to find out it is a 1:10, where as my stock barrel was a 1:9.5. So I have been trying different ammo, and bullet weights. So far this is the best group I have been able to pull off. As you can see, there is 1 cold bore shot, 1 screwup, and then a 1" 5 shot group. I am going to continue try out different ammo, and see if I can get the group size down. Also a good friend of mine, who can out shoot anyone I have ever seen, is comming in town next weekend. I will put him behind the 7 and see if it is just me, or the gun. I will let you know how that goes.

101_1440s1.jpg  

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #63

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm betting it'll really wake up when you handload and work up a pet load for it. A rifle like that is just begging for a pet load to be worked up for it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #64

Bear, I know. I just don't have the money for the equipment, or the time to learn a whole new science, just yet. I will get into it one day, I just can't do it now. Another good friend of mine is going to work up some loads and send them to me, but for now I am stuck with factory ammo.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:46 AM   #65

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
Bear, I know. I just don't have the money for the equipment, or the time to learn a whole new science, just yet. I will get into it one day, I just can't do it now. Another good friend of mine is going to work up some loads and send them to me, but for now I am stuck with factory ammo.
Like Bear said a great rifle like that one is begging for handloads or factory Match ammo which unfurtunately no one loads commercially in your caliber that I know off. Try some Black Hills Gold ammo in her, probably the closest you'll get to factory match.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 AM   #66

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Don't shoot the barrel out before you devolope your own loads.

In my case, I've got about 1200 rounds or so before I have to rebarrel. I already have used up over 10% of the pre determined barrel life of my rifle.

I've already ordered another barrel to have some time before the end of the year.

This, as I have found out, is part of the game if you intend to compete with the big dogs.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #67

I learned a vaulable lesson this weekend,,,,trust no one, not even the best gunsmith in the Houston area. As some of you know, who have been following this thread, I have been having trouble getting this awsome custom rifle to shoot consistant groups. I have tried different ammo, different positions, and even different shooters. I have checked and tightened ring screws, loctighted them and all. It comes to find out, the problem the whole time, was the smith did not loctight the screws on the base. All 4 screws on the scope base were so lose that the easily turned by hand... I checked these screws when I first got the rifle back from the smith, and they were tight. Then I mounted the scope, and well I never checked them again, because I didnt want to have to remove the scope. Oh well, lesson learned, check everything when something is just not right. Like I have written in the past, one time the rifle would shoot a 1" group, and the next thing you know it is shooting a 3" group. I tried everything, but I should have started at the base and worked my way up. I guess I am still learning.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #68

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Can't blame you. I probably would have taken that for granted too. WOW! Glad you found out. That rifle is way too nice not to be shooting as well as it looks.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #69

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
I learned a vaulable lesson this weekend,,,,trust no one, not even the best gunsmith in the Houston area. As some of you know, who have been following this thread, I have been having trouble getting this awsome custom rifle to shoot consistant groups. I have tried different ammo, different positions, and even different shooters. I have checked and tightened ring screws, loctighted them and all. It comes to find out, the problem the whole time, was the smith did not loctight the screws on the base. All 4 screws on the scope base were so lose that the easily turned by hand... I checked these screws when I first got the rifle back from the smith, and they were tight. Then I mounted the scope, and well I never checked them again, because I didnt want to have to remove the scope. Oh well, lesson learned, check everything when something is just not right. Like I have written in the past, one time the rifle would shoot a 1" group, and the next thing you know it is shooting a 3" group. I tried everything, but I should have started at the base and worked my way up. I guess I am still learning.
Hopefully you used blue locktite (medieim strength) as you may want to remove it some time down the road. I not only used blue locktite on my mount but, I also torqued it down to 50 Inch lbs. torque. (NOT FOOT LBS.)

Old 05-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #70

Yes, blue locktite and 50 inch pounds, also blue locktite and 35 inch pounds on the ring screws. I hope that keeps everything together. I will try to shoot another group this comming weekend.