remington 700 .30-06 moa help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

remington 700 .30-06 moa help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1322 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyx28 View Post
Thank you all for the info. This is not a hunting gun, its for long range target shooting. Being that I like the look of the 20moa mount better and it seems that it will serve my purpose better as well I think that's what I'm going with.
What type of ranges are you planning on shooting?
With most quality 30mm tube scopes,you can shoot pretty far without the need in a 20moa base,most have a decent amount of vertical adjustment.
If you plan on shooting past 600,then they come in handy,but it will depend on the choice of optics that you plan to use.
All of my LR scopes have 100moa of adjustment,most hunting style scopes have around 50moa of adjustment.You have to remember that number is from top to bottom adjustment of the reticle,so if the crosshair is centered in the reticle you have half as much adjustment available for adjusting your scope for long range shots

For example,If you shot a Hornady 165gr SST bullet that had a velocity of 2960 fps you would need to adjust your scope an estimated 12.5moa at 600 yards with a 100 yard zero,and an estimated 31.1 moa if you were shooting at 1000 yards.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.1.cgi

With most hunting style scopes,adjusting it for a 600 yard shot is possible without using a 20moa rail or rings,but shooting farther will need a scope with more adjustability or a 20moa rail.

Gunnut07 listed some good bases,I prefer to use Ken Ferrell bases but also use EGW and Weaver's picatinny style rail's on all of my rifles.
I will only use Burris Signature Zee rings with any of my scopes.You can use the inserts to get 0moa,10moa,or 20moa without having a 20moa rail on your rifle.These rings will also keep your scopes from getting marked/scratched from the rings.

If you are really wanting to shoot at longer ranges,you really don't want to cheap out on the optics for your rifle.My cheaper ones start in the $750-800 range and go up to the $2k range.You can't shoot,what you can't see!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I don't shoot at typical ranges. My family owns 300 acres in a very rural town and also 85 acres in another more mountainous rural town. I shoot at both pieces of property. I'm not a competitive shooter, I do it with friends and family for my own enjoyment....and to get a few hours away from the wife and kids. Ultimately I would like to be able to hit a man sized target @1000 yards but I'm a ways away from that both in experience and money. I'm currently saving for a scope, don't know what kind yet because I won't even start looking till I have at least $500 saved up. The only thing I do know is that I want a 50mm objective. No particular reason other then I like the looks of a big beefy scope. The reason I want a 20moa base is like I said, I plan on eventually shooting longer distances and I really just like the looks of it better due to the fact that the gun is going to be sitting in an xlr chassis and I need the clearance for the hand guard with a 50mm objective.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have an XLR and a 20MOA base reduces your clearance over the hand guard. You will most likely need to have it trimmed to fit as well so the looks shouldn't be a big part of the decision. You will need to get the proper ring height to clear the guard.
That being said I think a 20 MOA base is a good choice for your needs

Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I was gonna go with high ring. I figured I would need them. The xlr comes with the adjustable cheek piece, so I figured I would be able to get the proper height. What size rings do you use with your rifle and the xlr?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #15

Quote:
I was gonna go with high ring. I figured I would need them. The xlr comes with the adjustable cheek piece, so I figured I would be able to get the proper height. What size rings do you use with your rifle and the xlr?
The ring height will vary slightly based on the measurements of the action and size of the scope tube. I would suggest you choose the height based on the actual measurement not just "high" or "medium" etc. (One manufacturer's "high" is another's "medium" or "extra-high").

I have a Savage action and a 34mm scope tube with 50mm objective (with an actual outside dimension of 57mm) I use Badger 1.125 high rings and have 1/4" gap between the lense caps and the guard.
remington 700 .30-06 moa help - General Rifle Discussion

Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I ordered a vortex viper 6.5-20x50, paid $459 with free shipping. I also found a set of x-high 30mm blackhawk rings at cabelas bargain cave the other day for $19. I ended up going with the standard weaver base, if I need the 20moa I can always return the base. Now its just waiting for my scope and stock to get here. Should have everything done in a week or so, will update then.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyx28
I ordered a vortex viper 6.5-20x50, paid $459 with free shipping. I also found a set of x-high 30mm blackhawk rings at cabelas bargain cave the other day for $19. I ended up going with the standard weaver base, if I need the 20moa I can always return the base. Now its just waiting for my scope and stock to get here. Should have everything done in a week or so, will update then.
Good scope choice in that price range, I think you should consider lapping those rings.
I'm also curious because said earlier you planned on the XLR chassis ... you ordered one and it will be here in a week? because if not and you are only planning to order one, expect more than a week for delivery(most people wait 6-8 weeks)

Old 10-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I had to scratch the xlr idea due to money reasons. I ordered a blackhawk knoxx axiom for now cause its only 150 bucks. Gonna start saving for an xlr after Christmas...

Old 10-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #19

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Could you explain what you mean by lapping the rings? I'm not familiar with the term.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Could you explain what you mean by lapping the rings? I'm not familiar with the term.