Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > remington 700 .30-06 moa help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default remington 700 .30-06 moa help

So I bought a new gun, titled. And need some help explaining moa. This is my first long range rifle so I never gave much thought to moa and what it actually means. I'm looking for a 1 piece picatinny scope base. I really like the look of the higher one, 20 moa description says opposed to the shorter mount that is 1 moa. Can anyone help me with what exactly this means? I hear that if you are shooting longer distance to go with the 1 moa mount, but if your sighting in your scope why would that matter? ......confused, thank you in advance for sharing you knowledge.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #2

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If you sight in a gun with a high mount (40 mm objective) at 30 yards, it will shoot several inches high at 100 yards. In the case of your 30/06 it would be on zero at 30 and approximately 250 yards. It would shoot high anywhere in between 30 and 250 yards. (There are charts that give an exact trajectory) I hope this helps.

Now is a real good time to find a Project Appleseed clinic in your area. Cooler weather brings out the more experienced instructors.

http://appleseedinfo.org/

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-10-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

You probably won't find any Picatinny bases for a Rem700. Just get a good, Company named base like Burris, Leupold or Weaver in either steel or aluminum and you'll be fine(unless Picatinny is really what's needed). These will probably also be as a 2-piece bases, but I've seen some 1-piece bases, but they were 10 times more costly. As to a scope mount in 1-piece, there's Burris PEPR(?), but this mount might not work due to the '06 being a LA(long action) and the PEPR for use on AR platforms and made for short scopes. Might check out Leupold as I believe they have 1-piece LA scope mounts.
1MOA or 20MOA is referenced by scope mount Manufacturer's of casting in some sloping angle at front of scope mount, to canter the rifle's barrel up to strike at a greater distance without using up the scopes internal Elevation. So 1MOA is 1" high at 100yds and 20MOA is 20" high at 100yds. Sub-MOA is anything less than 1" @ 100yds. However, most rifles don't need this canter, as barrel droop is built into each rifle from Factory. Most rifles don't require such extreme MOA mounts if you're only shooting within 300yds(unless bad barrel mounting), but if shooting outwards to 1000 to 1500yds, then MOA mounts will/could be needed. It's called "Lobing a bullet".
What you could also do to save some money without purchasing a 1-piece scope mount, is to purchase Burris Signature Zee scope rings. These offer a "no scratch" insert, but also(if purchased) some optional inserts that will give you up to 20degree scope adjustment with just some turns of the inserts. These inserts not only work for elevation, but also if rifle wants to shoot either left/right, these inserts adjust to take out the windage also to keep scope's crosshairs as centered as possible. Worth every penny for a cheaper cost on that expensive, long-range scope.
Del

Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyx28 View Post
So I bought a new gun, titled. And need some help explaining moa. This is my first long range rifle so I never gave much thought to moa and what it actually means. I'm looking for a 1 piece picatinny scope base. I really like the look of the higher one, 20 moa description says opposed to the shorter mount that is 1 moa. Can anyone help me with what exactly this means? I hear that if you are shooting longer distance to go with the 1 moa mount, but if your sighting in your scope why would that matter? ......confused, thank you in advance for sharing you knowledge.
The 20moa base is angled 20moa down as to give your scope 19 more moa in upward adjustment than the 1moa base offers. I use Burris Signature Zee rings which have inserts which also cant the scope downward.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As I understand it, MOA is a unit of measurement, used to describe an angle. If you imagine a circle, and you cut it up like a pie, there are 360 degrees of arc in the full circle. There are 60 minutes in each of those degrees. If the circle has a radius of one hundred yards, then one MOA measures a hair over one inch at one hundred yards, about two MOA at two hundred yards, three inches at three hundred yards out..

You often see the term MOA used to describe how accurate a rifle is. A gun that consistently shoots five shot groups of less than one inch at one hundred yards is often referred to as a "sub MOA" gun. My Mini 14, which shoots four inch groups at one hundred yards, might be called a "4 MOA" rifle. I have other names for that gun, but you didn't ask about that.

The 20 MOA mount has a little tilt built into it so that you can use your scope for longer ranges (beyond 300 yards or more) without maxxing out the elevation adjustment. The higher the number of minutes of angle used to describe the base, the more tilt is built into the base, meaning it is intended to compensate for greater amounts of bullet drop at greater ranges before your scope adjustment maxxes out. It "points" to a slightly different elevation, the base itself is not neccesarily higher or closer to the bore, or longer or shorter in length.

If you are using the rifle at more typical hunting ranges, the 20 MOA base is unneccesary.

I'm not sure what they mean by a 1 MOA base. Most manufacturers call their standard base 0 MOA. I have a 700 sporter, and since it is built for hunting (normally at 300 yards or less) rather than long range target shooting, I put a standard or 0 MOA base on it. With handloads, it shoots under an inch at one hundred yards, making it a "sub MOA" rifle. With factory ammo, it shoots one and one-half to two inch groups at one hundred yards, making it a "two MOA" rifle, and accurate enough for most hunting.

Have fun with your new rifle! Put a good scope on it!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1751 Times on 906 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x 40 on my Rem 700 30-06. These are about $250 new. I get 1-1.5 groups off the bench with sandbags (not a shooting sled), using Remington Corelockt 150 grain factory ammo. I have a Bushnell Banner 3-9 x 40 on my Remington 742 Woodsmaster, also in 30-06. These are about $89 new. I get 1.5-2 inch groups with this, same ammo. The 742 is not as accurate a rifle as the 700. I am sure with hand-loading my 700 would be sub 1", 742 sub 1.5". But I hunt deer with these rifles, and that is more than good enough from the distances I shoot

The Nikon is better glass, especially for farther out, but the new Bushnell scopes are pretty darn good, especially for that money. I always start low $$ and work my way up when doing something new. I was at the range a couple weeks ago shooting 200 yds, the guy next to me had a $3500 rig and could not hit paper - I was on-target with all of my shots - so remember, the shooter is the most important ingredient~!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #7

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have 2 30/06 BARs I have never mounted a scope on either one of them. I have missed some shots but I never felt that it was the fault of the gun or my equipment. The vast majority of my shots are at ranges of less than 50 yards. A scope would be a hindrance instead of an aid for most short range shots in heavily wooded areas. I do have a third rifle with a scope that I use to hunt fields and other open areas.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thank you all for the info. This is not a hunting gun, its for long range target shooting. Being that I like the look of the 20moa mount better and it seems that it will serve my purpose better as well I think that's what I'm going with.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #9

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

many companies like Leupold, weaver, Badger Ord. and many many others make 20MOA bases for the rem 700.

http://swfa.com/Badger-Ordnance-Maximized-Scope-1-Piece-Rail-P4229.aspx

http://swfa.com/IOR-Heavy-Duty-Picatinny-1-Piece-Base-P2240.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-Mark-4-1-Piece-Base-P12798.aspx

http://swfa.com/Talley-1-Piece-Base-P47312.aspx

Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1715 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 545

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/moa-not-canadian-cow-47969/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."