Remington .300 win mag model 770 Action "Problem"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington .300 win mag model 770 Action "Problem"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington .300 win mag model 770 Action "Problem"

So,i bought a remington .300 model 770 along with a box of ammo.When i got home, i started examining the gun,and found that the action was very "tight".I would almost want to say "grabby".It actually is leaving scratches on my bolt where it is "grabbing".And what really concerned me was when i put a round in the clip and tried to load it,it wouldnt even close.Eventually i got it to close.A couple of my friends told me that remington has sloppy actions,and it just needs to be worked.Over time from fiddling with it,i found that it is easier to close if i pushed the bolt forward pretty hard and then closed it.Should i take it to a gun smith and have them look at it or what?If anyone has ANY suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Never had or heard of a Remington with a sloppy action. I think I'd take it back to the gun dealer and let him take a look at it. I always work actions immediately on any gun that I intend to buy.
I just bought a .300 Model 700 and its action is slick as snot on a wet rock. Think I heard that somewhere.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Take it back. Also, not to make a snide remark here, but be sure that you have the right ammo for your new rifle. Easy to grab the wrong box of ammo, and there is difference between .300 Win Mag, .300 WSSM, .300 Weatherby, etc etc ad infinitum.

As far as "sloppy actions"- HERESY! GET THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!

angry_mob.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

Well mine doesnt have a sloppy action.Mine is fine when the clip is empty.But when i load the clip and put it in,it gets tight,and i have to push the bolt forward really hard before i can close it.But once i get it closed,it opens and closes very easy.I dont know.Im gonna try to take it to my gunsmith here soon.The gun shoots fine though.I can hold a nickel sized pattern at 100 yards if not better.Im thinking something is misaligned somewheres.Thanks for the reply.Ill let you know what it is once i figure it out.Laterz

Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #5

Yeah im sure i got the right ammo..lol

Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #6

AND i failed to mention i cant take it back.Wal-mart has no returns on firearms.lol.I know,I know.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_Shooter View Post
AND i failed to mention i cant take it back.Wal-mart has no returns on firearms.lol.I know,I know.
Take the gun to reputable firearm dealer and hand the nice man behind the counter $20.00 and have him send it back to Remington for you. We handle warranty related issues all the time, but if the firearm was not purchased from our store we have to charge shipping which is normally around $20.00.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Tags
.300, 770, action, bolt, remington