Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 30-06 rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Remington 30-06 rifles

I recently inherited a couple of rifles from my grandfather and I am a gun novice, so I have a few questions.

The rifle's are both Remington 30-06's. One is the model 700. The other is the Woodsmaster 742.

1) Is there a good place to find a PDF version of the 742 manual? I checked the Manual sticky in this forum, but the sites are either gone, don't have the manual, or Chrome gives a malware warning when I access the site. And I'd rather not pay or download additional software to get the manual.

2) I'm not great with gun terms, so please excuse this next sentence. On the 742, the thing (slide, maybe) that you pull back to eject shells sticks and is difficult to pull back. Is this a common issue? If so, is there an easy fix (like oil it up)?

3) I've read that the 742 came in right and left hand models. How do I tell which one I have?

4) On the 700 model, do I need to oil or grease the bolt when I clean the gun?

thanks in advance for the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #2

Liked 131 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 67

You can download manuals from most manufacturer's websites. I imagine Remington's could help you out. the slide mechanism probably just needs a good cleaning and lube. Worst case scenario is that one of the slide bars could be slightly bent. Try the cleaning and lube and see how it does. If the 742 you have has the ejection port on the right side of the receiver it is a right hand model. Left hand models that eject to the left would be much less common. Common rule of thumb is to use grease on things that slide, and oil the things that pivot. I tend to use a light grease like Wilson's Ultima lube on pistol slides and the op rod and fixed roller on the Mini-14's bolt.But I imagine, most people myself included, just use oil on the bolts of bolt action rifles. To clean the M 742, you'll have to clean from the muzzle end, so use a muzzle guide on the rod to protect the crown from wear. On the M 700 you can remove the bolt and clean from the breech end, but buy a bore guide ( $15-$20) to protect the beginning of the rifling beyond the throat from wear.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19584 Times on 11115 Posts
Likes Given: 49298

go to Remington's website click on downloads under support section and then click on owners manuals. i just looked and they have a pdf file for the M742 rifles.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5124 Times on 2668 Posts
Likes Given: 310

If you contact the manufacturer they are required by law to supply a gun owner with missing manuals if there was a manual available at time of manufacture. That's why all these things are typicaly available on their websites for free.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I would take the 742 to a gunsmith and have him clean the hell out of it. It may sounds lazy but I played merry hell trying to put the one I cleaned back togeather. If it is a right handed gun the ejection port should be on the right hand side. Youtube is your friend for cleaning etc.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
go to Remington's website click on downloads under support section and then click on owners manuals. i just looked and they have a pdf file for the M742 rifles.
I must have overlooked the Downloads page when I checked Remington's site. Thanks!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

go to http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm - he has both the manuals you are looking for.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19584 Times on 11115 Posts
Likes Given: 49298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I must have overlooked the Downloads page when I checked Remington's site. Thanks!
i was wrong. it's actually under the News and Resouces section on their websight. click on that and it will take you to the Downloads where the owners manuals are.

and if needed the M700 is there as well.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I believe the difference between the l and r handed 742's was that the comb was on the l or right side they didn't make a different receiver for l handed people, if they had I would have owned one of them. FRJ

Better to die on my feet than to live on my knees

Old 10-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

There are some good video's on You Tube for taking apart and cleaning the 742! There's also tones of stuff on cleaning the M700.

And it sounds like your Grandfather and I shared similar tastes in rifles. I also have a 742 and Model 700 both in 30/06.