Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 1903A3 Rechambered .308 Norma Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 1903A3 Rechambered .308 Norma Mag

This Old War dog has been rechambered from a .30-06 to a .308 Norma. Unfortunately figuring that out was a bit of a nightmare.....well for my cameraman/grandson.

A Freeman Has The Right To Carry A Gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5107 Times on 2657 Posts
Likes Given: 310

low serial number 03s were not run over by a truck or fell off the back of trucks. its the way they were heat treated by springfield armory to strengthen the steal. at the time the SA method of tempering steel was done by mark1 eyeball. if it glowed a certain color it was done. workers were taking shortcuts and didnt really understand the proccess a few rifles had catostrophic failure due to this unscientific tempering proccess. the problem was quickly found and a more regulated proccess was developed. the older spot treated recievers were redone and issued and generlly performed well but there were still issues which is why its not good to use low serial number springfields.

exact technical description of what happened even the names of the technical people responsible are available in several publications available on the history of the 1903

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-04-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #3

The .308 Norma mag is a cool cartridge I came close to having my sporter 03 rechambered for it in the 70s. But I stuck with the 06.The only way to shot it though is to reload it.
Joe-R

Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry!
Wyatt Earp

Old 08-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

it has always been a round which I wanted to build a rifle around. I have a few Mauser 98 actions laying around so I might just revive the dream and get it done.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so whats so great about a 308 norma mag this is the first time I've ever heard of this round.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 08-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
so whats so great about a 308 norma mag this is the first time I've ever heard of this round.
Well when it first came out it was the equal ballistically of the 300 Win Mag and the 300 H&H Mag. The advantage was that is was shorter than either and could be chambered in a standard length Mauser action. The other rounds required a Magnum length action which was more expensive than the abundant 98 Mauser actions then available. With the now new 308 short Magnums from Winchester and Remington it probably does not have any practical advantage but I like old and odd cartridges just because they are different.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

k thanks for the info

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."