Remington 03A3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 03A3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 336 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Remington 03A3

Just bought CA's 03A3. I'm going to make it a shooter and shoot the snot out of it. Barrel looks good but will have it checked out by local gunsmith. If barrel is not totally up to par it will recieve a new Kreiger barrel. Have been looking at the Timney trigger for it as well. The stock is not only beautiful, but it is in perfect condition. I believe it is an aftermarket stock and if it is, someone before CA acquired it, paid a few bucks more for it than for a O.E. replacement stock. The pull legenth is a little short for me and will have it corrected and add a 1" thick decel pad to the butt. Both CA and I are not sure about the bedding job that it has. It looks a bit more than a little sloppy. If it's a "Bubba job" it will be corrected. Muzzel brake will be changed out to a timed brake if the exsisting barrel is good to go. If the barrel has to be replaced I'm not sure that it will have a brake. Probably will scope it out with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14X40mm scope that I have laying around, but not quite sure yet. I have another scope that I may use instead with 3-15X50mm in mills. Existing holes in stock look like they are made for flush cups which is the way I'll go for sling mounts and bipod. Not deciede to have it parked or blued yet. I kind of perfer parkerizing but a blue job may be what this rifle needs to really "pop". All in all for a sporterized rifle in existing process, I feel that it is nice piece to finish. Especially with that wood stock it has.

Last edited by mrm14; 12-07-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's a beauty for sure. You'll put way more money into it than I would have and I know the end result will be sweet. Enjoy it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #3

Liked 764 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 811

So, Where are the pics!!!!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
So, Where are the pics!!!!!!
O.K. here you go.

remington-03a3-1-001.jpg

remington-03a3-1-002.jpg

remington-03a3-1-003.jpg

remington-03a3-1-004.jpg

Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It's a beauty for sure. You'll put way more money into it than I would have and I know the end result will be sweet. Enjoy it.
Don, I want to thank you for this oppertunity with this rifle. I know it had to be a bit hard for you to part with it and that being said, I'll do her up proper.

Last edited by mrm14; 12-07-2010 at 01:52 AM.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

What's really cool is that it matches your kitchen.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
What's really cool is that it matches your kitchen.
Yeah the cherry wood cabnits and the tad darker cherry wood chair to the dinette set does match pretty close. Hell even the counter tops compliment it as well.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 AM   #8

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A true "win-win" situation! Beautiful wood on that rifle....glad she got a good home.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:58 AM   #9

Liked 1247 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 396

That's a great looking gun. I'm interested to see how it shoots with some pics.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #10

O.K. So I have the rifle down to the gunsmiths now and we found out a few things. The barrel looks good, however, we wont know for sure until they break it down and inspect. I'll know in a couple of days. The bedding job is real bad and it will have to be ground out and re-done. The holes that were drilled on the bottom of the forestock and the bottom of the butt are 0.9" in dia. and way too big for flush cups. O.D. of flush cups are 0.56". The gunsmith has some walnut dowel that pretty close matches the color of the stock and I'm having the existing holes in the stock doweled then re-drilled to the proper size for flush cups. When figuring for my LOP the Pachmyer 1" thick Decel pad plus a 1/4" stack plate will get the job done. I'm going with a Picitinny rail scope base which the gunsmith can provide. If the barrel is good to go I'll have those three little holes on the top of it plugged and will go for a matte black finish for all the metal. Also, am going to have the reciever and bolt trued.

Not being familiar with this rifle I found out that the saftey lever of the fireing pin through the back of bolt has to be re-positioned for use of a scope. I checked out Timney Triggers and they make a trigger with saftey which only requires minor inleting of the wood stock for clearance. This should save near a couple hundred dollars over having the stock safety modified to clear the scope. The trigger is $94.00 and I was going to change out the trigger anyhow.

I don't want to cut the barrel back any further than it has been to accomodate the brake it has now. So if the existing brake is removeable I'll be replacing it with a timed brake. If the barrel is near shot out I found a new O.E. barrel for $150.00.

I should know by the end of the week what the gunsmith has discovered with the barrel and will go from there.

Well, thats all for this update.