Remington 03-A3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 03-A3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 03-A3

i recently inherited a remington 03-a3 bolt action rifle from my grandfather. i cleaned it up inside and out (inside barrel, removed cleaned and lubricated bolt and the ammo spring) it looks to be in great condition but am not sure if i should fire this rifle. am insight as to anything else i should do to it before i shot it or should i not shot it at all? any info would be helpful. thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

No reason not to shoot it, and they are great rifles.

Now, I am unable to assess the shootabillity of your rifle at long distance (crystal ball is in the shop for calibration and oil change), so do the next best thing- find a competent gunsmith, and have him check your rifle over. He will be looking for signs of damage, mising parts, anything that has been "Bubba'ed", condition of chamber/bore/muzzle, and the headspace of the rifle. Should only cost you a few $$$, and is decent insurance.

PLEASE avoid the temptation to put a synthetic stock on your rifle, drill and tap for a scope, etc. That is HERESY to a collector!

Some more info for you on your rifle- and congratulations!
Collecting and Shooting the U.S. Model 03A3 Rifle - HISTORY

Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

OH NO! 03-A3's are inherently dangerous, even as wall hangers. You must send it to me (postage paid of course) and I will do the only responsible thing for such an engineering abortion. I will shoot it for you. If you have any ammo for it, I will shoot that up for you as well.

No need to thank me. I need a few more community service hours.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #4

lawl.....no thanks i think grandpa would kill me from beyond the grave. but judging from you sarcasm i think it should be good to go. thanks for the reply.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #5

thanks for all the information i think i will take it in just to make sure everything is kosher. i have no intention on changing anything on the rifle from stock. the only idea i had was to possibly refinish the stock to get rid of the dents and scratches but i read a post on how to properly do so and it seems like it would take a lot of time. plus i think i like the worn in look. i'm not sold one way or another yet. thanks for your reply/information though.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #6

Likes Given: 2

You are probably good to go shoot it. BUT......DO NOT REFINISH THE STOCK, you will hurt the value of your Grandfather's baby!!

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 06-08-2009, 02:15 AM   #7

Just think of all the history that your rifle has seen. I bet if that thing could talk, it would have alot of great stories! I don't think I would change a thing, if it were mine.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #8

we have a 03a3 in our battery as well as more modern wepons the o3 is next to the most accurate wepon we have, it cant touch my mia but it is a stock wepon tha can make a ace of clubs have one hole from 3 rds at 150 meters fom the prone and this is as issued! ymmas

Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

My dad has 6 03 a3 actioned custom rifles that will shoot with many bench guns out there today. My favorite is one chambered in the 25 niedner (AKA 25-06) That rifle has shot more Liberal CA ground squirells than I care to count from 75 yards on out to 400 yards. Don't look at the goofball who can't dress in that picture.