Rem SPS Varmint vs. Savage 12fv
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem SPS Varmint vs. Savage 12fv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rem SPS Varmint vs. Savage 12fv

Hi, Im looking to get a varmint/predator gun. I was just wondering what you guys thought of each gun. I'm also trying to decide .204 or .223, I dont plan on using this gun to shoot further than 300 yards. It will be used on animals as big as 'yotes. What do you guys suggest there? And if there are any other guns besides those two I am open to suggestions. Let me know what you guys think.Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #2

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

There's a good thread on .204 vs .223 in this section its near the top. As for the gun, I just got a Howa 1500 which is pretty much the same as a Weatherby vanguard and it shoots very well. I would consider those 2 guns as well as the Remington and Savage. But the savage would be my choice over the Remington out of the 2 you mentioned.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #3

Savage, if you're looking for a shooter. They ain't pretty, but they are mostly tack-drivers for factory guns.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

YOu can go with either cartridge and either rifle. They are both bottom of the line as far as stocks and finish. The Remingtons SPS stock is nothing more than some cheap chineese injection molded chunk of plastic. The only thing I can see that gives the savage a leg up is that it is piller bedded. The remington is not.

I personaly if shooting yotes to 300 yards (This is a tought job). I would go for nothing less than a 22-250 or 220 swift. No the swift is not a barrel burner if you keep the loads to 22-250 levels. I would even look at a 243 that way you have a multi use rifle.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #5

Im not looking to get much past the 300 yd range with this rifle. If I get in those situations I am going to be grabbing my 25-06. So the consensus sounds like you guys like the new savages over the remingtons?I have been leaning toward that direction too. I will be reloading for whichever caliber I get, the .204 sounds a bit more picky on the round they like? In your opinions what range of bullet sizes can I shoot in both the .204 with the 1:12 and the 223 with the 1:9. Thanks again

Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #6

Cooper and Kimber make nice rifles. The Tikka Varmint or tactical are also nice weapons.

If it is between the Rem or the Sav I would get the Savage too.

Don't get a cheap rifle or cheap foreign crap.

Last edited by J33Nelson; 03-26-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #7

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

A few months ago I got to shoot what I think was a Kimber Model 8400 Sonora bolt gun in .204 Ruger. This was the stainless version with the fluted medium factory target barrel. Now that I recall it was a target version because it had no provisions for a magazine and was a single shot type rifle.(Load (1) round by hand per shot) The gentleman that owned it did a trigger job on it (and that was all he did) and it was a litteral tack driver. With this rifle I was putting holes in holes @ 100 yards. He said that it was pretty much the same pattern of grouping @ 200 yards.(near holes in holes) I have looked for this rifle in gun shops and in their catalog but havent found it in either the .204 Ruger or the .223. The only thing I can figure is that those calibers were discontinued for this model or it was a special order or mabey a limited edition. Anyhow, If you could get your hands on this Model Kimber in the .204 or .223 calibers, I'd say that, aside from a trigger job and a good scope, it would be all you need for this type of target rifle.

You could build up a Remmy 700 to do this as well. A trigger job or replacement aftermarket trigger and a Bell & Carlson or McMillan stock (The SPS stock is junk) SPS Remmy 700's go for around $500.00 to $600.00 around here, aftermarket stock will go for around $500.00 and a trigger job will cost around $30.00 unless you want less than a 3# trigger pull weight, then the gunsmiths around here will charge about $80.00 (liability costs they claim for less than a 3# pull weight) The Kimber Model 8400 Sonora I see on their web site has a list price for just under $1200.00. Either way the end price will be real close and either rifle I feel will deliver the same shooting relults. Holes in Holes.

Last edited by mrm14; 03-26-2009 at 10:02 PM.