Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem-Oil question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Thanks guys. Hoppes for the bore and rem oil for the rest. I guess there really isn't any one product that will clean the bore and lube and protect the rest of the gun all at the same time. Just trying to find an easy way out. I really don't mind cleaning guns and it is a kind of labor of love. There is nothing I hate more that seeing an abused or neglected gun. Besides just the smell of Hoppes brings back memories of deer camps long past of the 50's and 60's. Guess I will have to get some Hoppes.
cottontop
Break-Free CLP covers most cleaning, lubrication, and protection needs. This stuff works great and is easy to use and is convenient.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #12

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I use Rem-Oil, FP-10, Hoppe's #9 and Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber on occasion. I'll have to try Break-Free CLP.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #13

Liked 53 Times on 42 Posts

I use a relatively new product developed locally called Gunzilla. It is a plant based CLP that does not attract dust and dirt like petroleum based products will. Plus it does not have the odor or haz-mat issues that other cleaners have.
I have used Sweets, #9, Elite and CLP and this is much better. Unfortunately, it is probably only available online for most. All of the Lansing area Gun shops and Police supply places around Lansing carry it.
It dissolves just about everything and when I wipe it off, it leaves a dry layer of lubricant.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #14

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

msup752 I don't find gunzilla has the staying power on a firearm that breakfree clp has. Gunzila is good for .22lr for sure. But if a rifle sits around alot between seasons I have allways been able to pull a rifle out fingering it to get to another, put it back and never have finger acid issues or drying out that rem oil ,and other old school guns oil have.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #15

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

I don't have anything against Remoil, but if you like to use an oil as you described, buy youself a quart of Mobile one, and you will not have to buy oil for years. I think it is every bit as good as Remoil. I keep an old Remoil bottle full of it all the time.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-31-2011, 02:17 AM   #16

Liked 823 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 816

I used a bottle of Rem-Oil once, but now I use Lucas..........

When all else fails.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:38 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

remoil is pretty much the same thing as 3in1 oil and sewing machine oil. its extremely lightweight. as sniper03 says its no good on parts that see any heat.

my preference is clp for light cleaning and pistol bores. hoppes#9 for rifle bores. for lube gun grease and motor oil.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-31-2011, 06:35 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I use Ballistol sportsman's oil for just about everything . Good for cleaning black powder guns too. Beeman metalophilic compound no.5 is a good oil to wipe off fingerprints, it neutralizes salt and sweat.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #19

Liked 2187 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1779

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
What about Ed's Red?
Ed's red is for cleaning dirty barrels.

I use tranny fluid on any barrels I suspect aren't fully clean,

or if I'm using the gun again soon.

Rem Oil is nice, but I have to eat, too, so I use Mobil 1...