Rem 7mm Rem. Mag. Upgrades?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem 7mm Rem. Mag. Upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Rem 7mm Rem. Mag. Upgrades?

I have a Remington 700 7mm Rem. Mag. SPS completely stock. It has a Leupold base and rings holding a Nikon 4.5-14x40 scope with the BDC reticle. It shoots ok, and so far the farthest I have shot it is 200 yards, and was able to get three out of four shots in a 1.5" group. I think I pulled the last one off some, it was about 2.5"s away from the group. I have noticed the the barrel is not free floating. I would like to upgrade this rifle so that it will shoot sub 1 inch groups(if I am up to it). My questions are, what stock and what barrel would be good choices, and be the best bang for the buck?
I really love this forum, and who ever created it, did gun owners every where a great service. The amount of knowledge here is truely endless. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to all of your comments.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #2

Default 7mm

What are your intentions for the rifle? Deer hunting? I have a 700LSS in 7mag, and found that switching ammo made a big difference. Mine is now hitting an inch and a half group at 200 and it is bone stock. For deer,antelope,elk or whatever that should be close enough. You would still be able to hold dead on out to 300 yds and still make an ETHICAL shot. If you haven't already tried other ammo, give that a try first,I am not shooting premium ammo,just run of the mill federal powershoks. If you intend to use the rifle for competition, I am the wrong guy to answer. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

true - Great choice in caliber! My current bolt gun build is also in 7mm mag and it shall be named Mjolnir.

Okay, you got yourself a Remington, so you are already battling up hill... *laughing* That comment posted merely for the enjoyment of cpttango30...

Bone stock? And you want to tighten up the groups? Obviously ammo, as mentioned above, can make a difference, but I don't think that is going to get you the groups you are looking for. Reloads, because the brass is already fire formed to your chamber, will improve accuracy, but not enough to drop those groups where you are looking to get.

I assume, given your background and your other weapons, you want to build a good field gun that you can go prone with and dump some "Zombies" should the need arise, correct?

On a factory gun, without spending a ton of money, you can start with glass bedding the action, which will free float the barrel and give you a much more stable shooting platform. That is going to be the quickest, cheapest and easiest method to improving your accuracy from the weapon. A free floated barrel is a must, in my opinion, for any true field / sniper / competition gun.

Does the stock fit you? Do you like it? Because if the answer is yes to both, I wouldn't change it, I would spend that money elsewhere on the weapon and get more bang for the buck.

How's the trigger? Tuning it, or changing it for a tuned one, could help with "pulling" a shot.

A lighter firing pin will decrease lock time, it's a drop in item, and can help with grouping. I only put titanium pins in all my guns, unless I am getting a truly custom action, which I am going with on Mjolnir.

Of course, if you want to get serious, have the action blueprinted and have the locking lugs lapped. The best way to get the benefit out of it, is to change the barrel at the same time, but we do blueprint jobs and put factory barrels back on rifles all the time. We just did two for the Washington State Patrol ( Standard Remy 700 packages ).

For a barrel, there are a lot of people that make barrels for upgrades. Having said that, there are only ( 2 ) that I would recommend for tactical style guns. Krieger and Mike Rock 5R. Those two turn out single point cut rifle barrels that, right now, are the best in the business. Putting one of those on, with a blue printed action, will cut that group size probably 2/3 in capable hands. It won't be cheap though - expect to spend $1000, maybe a little more, plus the time it will take a quality smith to turn out the work. Our shop backlog is 14 months on builds, probably about half of that for rebuilds, since not all of it has to be done by the master.

Christ, I have rattled on for a half a page here. I love talking precision bolt guns... LOL

JD

Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2845 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 251

+1 on free float/glass bedding. Trigger work helps a lot. Choosing the right load helps. If you are a factory ammo kind of guy, try several different loads from different makers and find the one that works best for your rifle. If you handload, the possibilities are endless.

Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Thanks for the help! I have had the trigger pull lightened, and I like it. The stock is ok, but I think I would like one with a little higher cheek piece. As for the rest of what you said, I guess I will get going on the glass bedding. What do you all think about HS precision stocks?

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #6

Default Tighter groups

Make sure you are shooting the right grain bullets for the amount of rifle twist that came with your rifle, that is a very common thing that a lot of people over look.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
As for the rest of what you said, I guess I will get going on the glass bedding. What do you all think about HS precision stocks?
H-S Precision makes some great tactical stocks. If you look in my gallery, you will see one on my .308 Winchester Rig. You still have good taste...

I have the 2008 Dealer catalog at home for H-S. Shoot me a PM withthe ones you are considering and I can get you the prices, that way you know if you are getting a good deal or not.

There are a couple of companies out there that will sell you a stock and glass bed the thing for your action, if you are so inclined. I don't think H-S does it themselves, but they might have someone who is a reseller that might do it for you.

Bedding isn't hard. It's actually pretty fun. But the first couple I did were disasters... LOL If you can bondo a car or assemble a model airplane kit, with a little practice, you can bed an action. The parts and materials aren't real pricey - Some painters tape, an Exacto knife, some acetone or other solvent, and a good quality bedding kit.

But, it only takes a couple of hours total, so shop time won't kill you either. If someone wants $250 to bed your action in a brand new stock, you probably should consider checking else... LOL

JD

Old 08-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #8

Brownell's sells both the bedding kits as well as providing excellent instructions in how to get the job done right.

More Than You Need To Know!

The last bedding job I did was the first bedding job I did. It took a lot of: reading, careful planning, and real attention to detail. (I didn't find it to be fun!) Wasn't THAT hard to do though; and, when I was finished the rifle (an SKS) showed a marginal gain in accuracy. Three years ago I sold that SKS to a fellow I'd let shoot it for a very good price.

Glass bedding is something worthwhile that you can do at home. Several of the shooters in my old DCM club bedded their own Garand actions. (It's a simpler process on a semiautomatic action.) Did it make a difference? I don't know; and, I doubt that any of them did either. They were excellent marksmen before they bedded their actions; and, they remained excellent marksmen afterwards, too.

I'm inclined to go with what rickrem700 said: Check your twist rate and make sure it's right for the bullet weight you're using. If you reload, well .... once fired brass isn't going to do all that much for you: The case heads will progressively blow out-of-round and slowly begin to deform. The case necks will more quickly become eccentric; and the primer pockets always have to be cleaned and the flash holes checked. However the first several of times you use them, neck-sized reloads might very well improve the accuracy of your, more or less, standard rifle!

So will a little experimenting with different powder charges. Load up a half dozen cartridges at a time, and experiment until you find a powder/bullet combination that you're happy with.

Last edited by G21.45; 08-14-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If your looking for a better stock. There are a few out there.

If you want ugly synthetic go with
1. McMillian Most expensive
2. HS precision
3. Brown Precision
4. Bell and Carlson

If you want wood or laminate go with
1. Richards Microfit
2. Boyds (Maker of all Remington factory laminated stock)
3. Others There are a bunch out there.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
More Than You Need To Know!

The last bedding job I did was the first bedding job I did. It took a lot of: reading, careful planning, and real attention to detail. (I didn't find it to be fun!) Wasn't THAT hard to do though;
Ah man, why you got to do me like that?

If you have never done it before, I guess you could say it's a bit of work, but when you get one to pop just right, and the bedding matches the color scheme you were going for, and then you get to take it to the range and try it out. I enjoy the hell out of that. It's something that you have personally done to improve the accuracy of your, or in my case another guy's, weapon.

JD