Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem 783

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I have noticed on the 870 that it don't like to eject Winchester ammo. So far that's all I can say about it. When I was looking at getting a rifle I narrowed to down to the 783 and a savage 111xp. Do u have any thoughts on a savage?

Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #22

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Oh yeah me and Savage go way back. I have owned half a dozen of them, great guns for the money, they may feel cheap but shoot great, if all you are looking for is a budget tack driver that is a tough one to beat, but much like all budget guns the synthetic stocks feel really bad (not quite 770 bad though) but at leased the Savage 111 has the really nice Accutrigger. Not everyone thinks the Savages feel so cheap though, my brother and sister in law prefer my Savage 30-06 to any of my higher end rifles.....go figure. I have it shooting 1/2" with RL19 and 150gr Accutips it is a dandy little gun. The Savage will weigh a bit less then the Remington, mine says it weighs in at 6.5lbs and I believe it, some of the low end Savages have a nice recoil pad, try to find one of those because such a light rifle would kick quite a bit otherwise.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #23

Savage has the hands down most logical design of any rifle maker (except the Savage clones of course) they have perfect headspacing every time and they are cheap to build. As a side perk that modular design makes them very easy to modify yourself so Savages will always be popular with the DIY guys, and with such a strong aftermarket you can do almost anything to them without having to hire a custom gun maker.
All that said while I do love my 110 and 11 my Tikka T3 Stainless 6.5x55 is my favorite followed by my new FN Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 308.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #24

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I thought savage 111 felt really nice in my hands the bolt felt really smooth also. I still wouldn't mind to have one. Guns r very additive lol. That tikka is salty lol but looks like a sweet rifle. Is it made by beretta?

Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #25

The Tikka is imported by Baretta but built by Sako, that is their idea of a budget rifle and it is one hellava gun. I have never seen a rifle that I can pick any load out of the book bring it to the range and expect sub-moa results like clockwork. When I decided to work up my 140gr Deep Curls I literally shot a string of .4-.6" groups all the way from starting load to max and even hot loads, I have plenty of rifle that are real shooters but none of the others can do that.
Tikka has the smoothest action of any rifle period, no high dollar costom I have ever handled could match it.
Tikka has the best trigger out there on a factory rifle, even better then Savage, breaks crisp as frozen glass and is user adjustable to 2lbs.
Tikka has the best synthetic stock in it's price point by a healthy margin (fiber/matrix not mold injection)
I got mine before people realzied how good they were, if I tried to buy a T3 stainless today it would run me $650-$750 I got mine for $408

Old 05-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #26

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator
In a recent multi-gun comparison the Remington 700 took dead last, the average accuracy with several types of factory ammo amongst the three 700s they tested was 2.33" at 100yd, the Savage and Winchester made it look like the joke it has become they both ran close to the 1" mark. If they cannot get their high dollar 700 performing right what are the chances their budget rifle will be worth a damn? No thanks I'll pass until Remington pulls their head out their rear end and starts making quality firearms again.
If that's the same "shoot out" I read the Thompson Center was top one or two in accuracy at just under MOA. I can't recall the other rifle, was it the vanguard?

They are making damn fine bolt actions that cost less than the Rem or Win. With life time warranty

The T/C Venture I have shoots 1 inch with every factory load I've tried to date. Love that 7mm-08. Quality is excellent and it comes with a detachable mag. I hate blind mags and prefer the mag over the floor plate.

The last rifle I bought new was a Remington 700
BDM a few years back. Spent close to 700 in the rifle and another 300 trying to get the pos to shoot. Best I could do was just under three inches at 100 yds with hand loads. 2 trips back to big green to fix the floor plate that would not not open , timney trigger, glass bedding, still would not group.

I am done with them. It sucks, I am, or was a big Remington fan, but only used these days if they were made before they "joined" the "company".

Old 05-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #27

Actualy in that comparison there was no Weatherby or T/C, Savage and Winchester took 1st and second place, I think it would have been alot more interesting had they thrown Weatherby, T/C and Tikka into the mix because those are all some fine shooters in my book, I do love my 7mm-08 too, I wish I had gone with the T/C but I decided to give Browning a try since I had never owned one, turned out to be a nightmare to get it to group, after several months of work on the reloading bench I finally got it sub-MOA but I mean to tell you that was not an easy one to crack.
I am going to get a Venture probably in Stainless, everyone I know who has owned one swears they are fine rifles and highly accurate.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:21 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19578 Times on 11111 Posts
Likes Given: 49290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
Oh yeah me and Savage go way back. I have owned half a dozen of them, great guns for the money, they may feel cheap but shoot great, if all you are looking for is a budget tack driver that is a tough one to beat, but much like all budget guns the synthetic stocks feel really bad (not quite 770 bad though) but at leased the Savage 111 has the really nice Accutrigger. Not everyone thinks the Savages feel so cheap though, my brother and sister in law prefer my Savage 30-06 to any of my higher end rifles.....go figure. I have it shooting 1/2" with RL19 and 150gr Accutips it is a dandy little gun. The Savage will weigh a bit less then the Remington, mine says it weighs in at 6.5lbs and I believe it, some of the low end Savages have a nice recoil pad, try to find one of those because such a light rifle would kick quite a bit otherwise.
Quote:
Savage has the hands down most logical design of any rifle maker (except the Savage clones of course) they have perfect headspacing every time and they are cheap to build. As a side perk that modular design makes them very easy to modify yourself so Savages will always be popular with the DIY guys, and with such a strong aftermarket you can do almost anything to them without having to hire a custom gun maker.
All that said while I do love my 110 and 11 my Tikka T3 Stainless 6.5x55 is my favorite followed by my new FN Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 308.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foot2400 View Post
I thought savage 111 felt really nice in my hands the bolt felt really smooth also. I still wouldn't mind to have one. Guns r very additive lol. That tikka is salty lol but looks like a sweet rifle. Is it made by beretta?
now this is strictly an opinion, and not fact, but the one entry level rifle that to me really shines is the Marlin X7 series. curreently i have three of them. these rifles are weel made, very accurate, have adjustable triggers, pillar bedded stocks and very good recoil pad. IMO they are one of the best bargains in the amount of features and accuracy for the price.

one of the biggest flaws is the forend of the stock as it flexes somewhat, but have yet to see that it affects accuracy though. easy fix though. i fixed two of mine and restocked the other with a Boyd's laminated stock. of all of the entry level rifles i have looked at and shot, this one feels the best to me and looks like a much more expensive rifle. one of the other cons to me, is the lack of just but the most common calibers. i would like to see more caliber offerings in the X7 series.

now like i said this is just my opinion, and some of my observations. i have the XS7 in 7mm-08, a XL7C in 25-05 and a XS7VH in 308. all are very accurate shooters. the X7 series is one i highly recommend that people check out if on a budget. are there better rifles? yes there are, but you will pay much more to get it. they definately are one to check out and give consideration though.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
now this is strictly an opinion, and not fact, but the one entry level rifle that to me really shines is the Marlin X7 series. curreently i have three of them. these rifles are weel made, very accurate, have adjustable triggers, pillar bedded stocks and very good recoil pad. IMO they are one of the best bargains in the amount of features and accuracy for the price.

one of the biggest flaws is the forend of the stock as it flexes somewhat, but have yet to see that it affects accuracy though. easy fix though. i fixed two of mine and restocked the other with a Boyd's laminated stock. of all of the entry level rifles i have looked at and shot, this one feels the best to me and looks like a much more expensive rifle. one of the other cons to me, is the lack of just but the most common calibers. i would like to see more caliber offerings in the X7 series.

now like i said this is just my opinion, and some of my observations. i have the XS7 in 7mm-08, a XL7C in 25-05 and a XS7VH in 308. all are very accurate shooters. the X7 series is one i highly recommend that people check out if on a budget. are there better rifles? yes there are, but you will pay much more to get it. they definately are one to check out and give consideration though.
Oh yeah, I owned an XS-7 in 308 and it was a fine shooter even with el-chepo 147gr FMJs, and the reason it is so good is it is an outright copy of the Savage, take a close look at the two side by side every little detail from the trigger to the extractor to the barrel nut. If you have to copy a design steal from the best LOL Savage should be used to it by now that is now four rifles coping their design and two others use their actions, they done something right.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:36 AM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19578 Times on 11111 Posts
Likes Given: 49290

Quote:
Oh yeah, I owned an XS-7 in 308 and it was a fine shooter even with el-chepo 147gr FMJs, and the reason it is so good is it is an outright copy of the Savage, take a close look at the two side by side every little detail from the trigger to the extractor to the barrel nut. If you have to copy a design steal from the best LOL Savage should be used to it by now that is now four rifles coping their design and two others use their actions, they done something right.
you know the saying, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Savage has had a good design for many years. but from an appearance standpoint and i know it makes no real difference, i do like the looks of the Marlin bolt better.