Rem 742 conversion to pump
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem 742 conversion to pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Default Rem 742 conversion to pump

Has anyone done the conversion to turn a malfunctioning 742 from a semi auto to a pump? There's a gunsmith in Minnesota who does it for about 230 bucks. Thinking about doing it with my late father's gun to make it trustworthy again for deer hunting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #2

Liked 837 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 256

You do know that when you are done you would end with a $250 (or less) gun? I understand in your case it likely has some sentimental value.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4144 Times on 2814 Posts
Likes Given: 2064

He is right. Remington sells new pumps for not a whole lot more. Centerfire AND rimfire now.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #4

Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I made a 742 reliable again, but not by turning it into a pump but by working up a 180gr RN handload (56gr Ramshot Hunter). Went from jamming all the time to 100% perfect reliability, we use it all the time.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:45 AM   #5

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

The only thing reliable I have seen about any Woodsmaster is the first shot. They will go bang the first time. After that it is pot luck. I wouldn't invest more money in a 742. They are accurate rifles. I never worried if a 742 would jam. I took my time and made the first shot count. My first semi auto centerfire rifle was a 742. I learned what buy once cry once meant. I sold it at a loss and got a Browning. I haven't cried since I started shooting Brownings.
locutus Likes This 
Old 11-29-2014, 02:44 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1949 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4368

I have never had a problem out of my 742. I wish I could get the bolt out to make cleaning easier but that's it. I know they have a bad reputation and I'm sure there are some bad ones out there but I have never had a single issue out of mine. And I know several people that have hunted with them for years without ever having a problem.

As for the conversion I wouldn't do it. I would put it in the closet and go get a new pump or whatever else you wanted. If the gun isn't doing right then there is no reason to keep putting money in it. I also have to wonder why that gun smith can't get it to shoot reliably in semi auto? I know that it can be done because there are too many reliable 742's out there.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:04 AM   #7

Liked 326 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Bolt rail chew of the receiver is common in .30-06, esp for those shooting 180 and 200 gr stuff.
Neglect of the chamber is also common.

As for new pump .22's costing around $250.......evidently you fell asleep under a rock, as the 572's are ridiculously priced. Neat guns, but IMHO not worth what they're asking.

Can't get new parts for 742, and welding up receiver rails and then machining aint exactly cheap.

By going pump action the overtravel/rotation of the small lugs is stopped. 7400 run bigger and less number of lugs.

I've had three 742's and two of them were minty inside. One would warp the bbl after first shot, put the next few into a nice group at 100 yards...................7 inches or so lower than the cold bore first.

The old wives tale of see through rings, for second shots..........has a grain of truth to it. As the front sight moves with bbl heat up, line of sight follows.

With a scope, when the bbl heats up...........it doesn't track the movement.

So.............some rubes with see through rings might have been onto something, but I think most were simply clueless. I still see people using them, and unless of freakish build...........they're utter BS.

So, some 742s shoot good, some don't. A beat to crap exterior one I had shot great, and didn't warp. I sold it to a large gentleman who promptly told me it jammed on him, repeatedly. He brought the remaining ammo I sold with the gun, to the range and I loaded it up and went Bang Bang Bang.

I aint fat.

Limp wristing a pistol? How bat fat fudging a rifle!

So.........with a bulky coat, I suspect others have had comparable issues........incorrectly putting the blame on the gun.

Got no prob with a 742, running 150's...........should it prove not to wander with heat up. I'd be sure to pull the trigger group and check for rail damage first. Some nice looking guns have proven to be torn up inside, and beaters on the outside like new within.

Best bet...........get a 7600. Had one, cus still has his. He says it beats on him. I think it a p*ssycat.

Last edited by Hookeye; 11-29-2014 at 05:07 AM.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

You all seem to be missing the entire point of this thread. I am not looking for a lecture on 742 reliability, I am asking if any have done the conversion which this smith claims to have done many and not have had one come back. I know the issues of the 742 and what causes them. I also already own a 7600.

The issue with the 742 is not chewed up rails it is the chamber has some rust which will grab the spent shell and cause the extractor to tear through the case head. This smith claims that shouldn't happen with the pump conversion as the action is worked manually after the pressure has already left the chamber completely whereas the auto loader is attempting to cycle as the brass still has a certain amount of pressure on it causing it to catch on the defect in the chamber.

I don't care about any opinions on why or why not to spend the money on the gun, it was my dad's gun and I would rather have a gun that will cycle reliably than a wall hanger, it was always a good shooter accuracy wise and would be fun to actually be able to take out hunting. 230 bucks for a repair of a family gun is worth it as far as I am concerned as opposed to buying another gun, which I really don't need or want, no room to store the ones I have now or time to shoot them all.

I probably won't do it anyways because from what I have found out so far they replace the forend which I understand is necessary as the auto has a longer forend than the pump model but my dad's gun is the bdl with the monte carlo stock and basket weave square forend, looks like they use the plain round forend, so I will probably just leave it as is and enjoy looking at a pretty gun.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1949 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4368

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
You all seem to be missing the entire point of this thread. I am not looking for a lecture on 742 reliability, I am asking if any have done the conversion which this smith claims to have done many and not have had one come back. I know the issues of the 742 and what causes them. I also already own a 7600.

The issue with the 742 is not chewed up rails it is the chamber has some rust which will grab the spent shell and cause the extractor to tear through the case head. This smith claims that shouldn't happen with the pump conversion as the action is worked manually after the pressure has already left the chamber completely whereas the auto loader is attempting to cycle as the brass still has a certain amount of pressure on it causing it to catch on the defect in the chamber.

I don't care about any opinions on why or why not to spend the money on the gun, it was my dad's gun and I would rather have a gun that will cycle reliably than a wall hanger, it was always a good shooter accuracy wise and would be fun to actually be able to take out hunting. 230 bucks for a repair of a family gun is worth it as far as I am concerned as opposed to buying another gun, which I really don't need or want, no room to store the ones I have now or time to shoot them all.

I probably won't do it anyways because from what I have found out so far they replace the forend which I understand is necessary as the auto has a longer forend than the pump model but my dad's gun is the bdl with the monte carlo stock and basket weave square forend, looks like they use the plain round forend, so I will probably just leave it as is and enjoy looking at a pretty gun.
Why not just put a new barrel on it if the only problem is the chamber and you want to keep it for sentimental reasons?

Old 11-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #10

Liked 326 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Tluker, How dare you come onto a forum and start making sense!

As for pump conversion with square/basketweave forend............I'd shop for a replacement of that type and try to modify it. If you figure it out, then maybe mod the original.

The round forend may be simply ergonomics, and if of one type, a general pc to work across various checkering styles.

Do think the old BDL stuff to be cool, just for a time period's sake.

A worthy project for sure

I have also read of folks making the rifles straight pull manual rigs.....just killing the gas system.

Last edited by Hookeye; 11-29-2014 at 04:37 PM.