Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem 700 vs Tikka T3 (Help needed plz)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, to be honest here, the Remington 700 is the most prominate, and easiest to build on, rifle action. It's very easy on tooling and there are a ton of drop in parts that don't require a hell of a lot of skill to "custom fit" - so it's going to be much more common than finding a 'smith who builds on pre-'64 Winchesters.

That doesn't make it bad, but it also doesn't make it the best thing going.

Remington's new action, the one submitted to the military for their Sniper Platform Testing, is supposed to be AWESOME though - and if they win the contract, that might be THE long action to get in the coming years ( from a production rifle standpoint ). Rumor has it that if the Long Action takes off, Remington will spend the money to re-tool and offer a short action in the same design mode. If they do that, Remington will have "factory action" bragging rights.

JD

Old 08-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I know of two fine 'smiths and one apprentice that work on Tikka's all the time. We do some fine custom builds for some folks who like that line.

JD

You know what I mean though.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
You know what I mean though.
Definitely. Tikka is not a popular build action. Neither is the Winchester. I totally agree with you 100%, except I live where I live and spend time in the shop with Brett, so I have to throw out the ther side of the coin.

You're right though - the Remington is a fine build platform. It's easy, it's affordable and there are a ton of people who work on it.

JD

Old 08-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I think Drunk Monkey's can work or Remmys 700 and AR-15.

I installed the new trigger in my 700 in a matter of 5 minutes. the packaging said it needed to be installed by a proper gunsmith. So does that make me a gunsmith?

The remington 700 is like a harley does a good job looks good while doing it but if you want a real badass then there are tons of parts to put on it and dress it up.

Surgon actions are a copy of the remington 700 with some improvements.

I just wish they made a rem 700 in a right bolt left and right port. That way I can load on the left and eject on the right.

I have also heard grumbling of Remington dropping the 700 BDL next year. I highly doubt this as that is the bread and butter of Remington. If they did I am sure there are many remington fans like myself that would not buy another ever.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I think Drunk Monkey's can work or Remmys 700 and AR-15.

I think I have seen some of their work at gun shows in the past.

I know they have high hopes over this Military Sniper contract. If they get that, or if they produce the short action version of that long action - they won't have any problems getting you back cpt!

I would actually like to see them take a step forward into the 21st Century and give some of the imports a run for their money with this new platform. It sure would make working on them that much more appealing.

JD

Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #16

I'm stinking about getting that new .338 700P. I can afford the stick-- just not another S&B to top it off with.

signed,
Joe

Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
I'm stinking about getting that new .338 700P. I can afford the stick-- just not another S&B to top it off with.
I didn't get to see the action, but my gunsmith Brett did and he told me this is the action that Remington should have been building 20 years ago. The first two "production" unit ran about $500K each because of all the R & D that went into them. Once they got those up and running, they banged out 30 of them for trials.

It's has three locking lugs, so it's got the short throw bolt handle the military guys wanted, it's got the more positive AR-15 style extractor, the recoil lug is now milled right into the action, so it's a much more stable and beefy platform. Basically they addressed all the bitching from the aftermarket and made a really, really good action to start with.

I think they are sitting pretty going into the trials because a lot of the other guns are coming in with custom actions that I can't see the Military getting special pricing on. Remington already has the contract for the short action, so it's some paperwork and a couple of briefcases under the table to secure the Long Range magnum application as well.

Here's hoping...

Schmidt & Bender - nothing wrong with your tastes... LOL

JD

Old 08-23-2008, 01:49 AM   #18

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I think I am going to go and plant a bunch of flowers in the shape of a Browning buck mark (LOGO not pistol) in a field then take a picture of it and get a free browning. Not sure what I would go for I think the Cynergy O/U.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:31 AM   #19

I played with one at SHOT last year-- I'm kind of waiting to see if there are any bugs that need to be worked out. I can always take my SB 3-12 x 50 PMII LP off my 300 WM and put it on the new stick.

signed,
Joe

Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default rem or tikka

not bragging but before i got hurt & became disabbled i owned & tryed more stock rifles then i can name but for the money i don't think any match the tikka t-3, don't have the 30 cal but have the 25-06 which every day will put 3 shots 100yds in 5/16 inch, big difference i think is the tikka uses the same barrels as sako uses pulled off the line at the same time, these barrels have hi praise for accuracy. mine shootswin 120gr pep & i never had a whitetail go over 10yds honestly. thanks