Rem 700 vs Tikka T3 (Help needed plz)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem 700 vs Tikka T3 (Help needed plz)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rem 700 vs Tikka T3 (Help needed plz)

hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a new rifle and as you all can see I've narrowed it down to the Remington 700 SPS and the Tikka T3 LS, both 30-06 calibers. I shoot left handed which tikka makes a left handed model. Prices are pretty par. Any feedback on either of the two rifles is much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
bainey

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What?! Where's captango!? *looking around*

Okay, I am going to be publicly crucified, AGAIN, for this opinion.

But, I personally feel, and have shown in this thread to some of the forum members here, that the Remington action is not the best choice out there.

Remington is made in the US though, and that carries a lot of weight. However, for the money, I think the Tikka is a much better choice.

Now I will turn the floor over to the other forum members so you can hear from them all about the product from the big green R.

JD

Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Remington cant even compare with a Tikka , it shoot circles around that remington

Old 06-20-2008, 04:20 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I am here Dillianger.

Is this going to be a hunting rifle or a plinking rifle. I love the 30-06 as much as any red blooded American, but it can wear out a shooter quick in a light rifle. If you are going for just some plinking or range shooting and little to no hunting with it I would go with a 223 or 243. If you want to hunt deer sized game and you have to have a 30 cal I would look at the 308 over the 30-06 it offer the same velocity (-5 to 10 fps) it will do what ever the 06 does just in a short action (Stiffer, less weight). I would even look at a 25 cal or 6.5mm cal as both will handle anything from varmints to big game.

You better hold on to your keyboard. I would go with the Tikka T3 over the SPS. I love the Remington 700 but their are other guns out there. For this on I have to pick the Sako made Tikka (I would buy a sako over a Remington any day of the week).

Remington has been going down hill fast since the cherrybus take over. The SPS is junk, the stock is nothing more than recycled playschool toys. They are hollow and the recoil pad really leaves something to be desired.

If you are going to by a Remington don't buy an SPS. The VLS, VSF, VSSFII, ect... are all good rifles that will turn out some superb accuracy. Now that being said my next varmint rifle will be a savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter in 6mm BR.

I would look at a Savage to replace the Remington. You can get a much better rifle for the same price in the savage vs Remington SPS.

the thing I like about the Savage is the fact that you get a stiffer action(This is only in the LRPV) with a right bolt left port action (this aids in reloads as your free hand does the work). The action is not open on the top but on the side with just a loading port cut that along with the single shot action with a solid bottom really makes for an outstanding rifle that will offer superb accuracy. Savage also allows for simple barrel changes with a few tools (Barrel wrench and go no-go gauges).

Savage is also introducing a PALMA rifle this summer.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #5

I have a Rem 700, and a Tikka T3. They are both great rifles, and I'm keeping them both. But I have to give the TIkka the edge. I have mine topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200, and It has that felling of riteousness that we are all looking for. It is so sweet that honey flows off of it. One of the best shooters that I have ever seen.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Tikka T3.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #7

Remington makes left handed models as well. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/left-Hand/

If your keeping it stock either one would serve you well. If not than 700 is the way to go. How many Smiths do yo know that work on Tikka?

I've got 3 Remington 700's (2 P's and a VSF) they all shot between 1/2 and 1/4 groups out of the box-- so I don't see how someone (especially from someone that is not even of legal age to own one) can say the Tikka will shoot circles around the Remington.

The only criticisms I had on my 700's was the trigger-- thankfully a few tunes of a flat-head fixed that. The new Rems fixed the trigger anyways so the point is moot.

Since your talking SPS-- and the T3 LS-- either way you'll be happy. Warning they both have entry level stocks (although I give the SPS a slightly upper hand in that department).

Now if there is even the slightest possibility of using the action as a jumping off point for a custom stick-- GO REMINGTON!

If you want a rifle you'll never have to up grade, I would suggest a 700VSF (left hand). http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/left-hand/model_700_VSF.asp

$300 more but worth it-- Nice HS stock (that's has a full-length aluminum bedding block), fluted barrel (I take it your hunting based on caliber and choice of models).

Oh yea-- and the Tikka came from where? Didn't they make Machine guns for... never mind.

Let us know what you end up with and give us a range report.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Last edited by JPBeck; 08-22-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #8

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

The biggest complaint I have with the Tikka is the plastic trigger guard. I have to go with Dillinger that the Howa / Weatherby Vanguard line is pretty hard to beat for the price. In the Weatherby configuration you get a test target and an accuracy guarantee, the same as Tikka. The Weatherby / Howa series of rifles are one of the most underrated out there. Especially when you take into account price. Weatherby is now advertising the Vanguard for as little as $399.00 MSRP. If you like fancy you can get it that way as well in the Vanguard Deluxe Model which is difficult to distinguish from a Mark V DeLuxe. Another bolt action I would consider over a Remington or Tikka is the Savage line. They are some of the most accurate out of the box rifles made today. Nothing wrong with the 700's mind you, I own 4 of them. It's just today there are better, more accurate rifles for the price. Bill T.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
How many Smiths do yo know that work on Tikka?
I know of two fine 'smiths and one apprentice that work on Tikka's all the time. We do some fine custom builds for some folks who like that line.

JD

Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have never owned a Remington 700, but I have fired a few that were borrowed from friends and family.But I do own the Tikka T3 LS- and it is a good rifle. It is light, so it is easier to carry around all day when hunting (yes, recoil is a little worse) and it is very accurate ( some people have said groups as tight as 1/3 MOA, though groups around 0.8MOA are more likely) The only thing I dont like about the Tikka, is that it is not made in America- But, I bought a Leupold scope to make up for that. I think that Jp beck is right though, if you are having custom work done, there is a larger amount of gunsmiths doing custom work on Remington rifles than Tikka.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
-Ronald Reagan