Rem 700 vs.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem 700 vs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rem 700 vs.

I am looking onto a deer rifle and a long range target rifle. I see a lot on the rem 700 in military, police and hunting. I read that it has "the smoothest action and trigger available". I am fond of products that are commonly used for parts availability reasons and general familiarity. My question is does it compare to some thing like a Kimber rifle or a Savage of the same price range. The second part of my question would be ammo, 300 win mag vs 30-06 or 308. I have looked into ballistics on them but I am curious about real world application and usage on deer. Thanks for any input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyape View Post
I am looking onto a deer rifle and a long range target rifle. I see a lot on the rem 700 in military, police and hunting. I read that it has "the smoothest action and trigger available". I am fond of products that are commonly used for parts availability reasons and general familiarity. My question is does it compare to some thing like a Kimber rifle or a Savage of the same price range. The second part of my question would be ammo, 300 win mag vs 30-06 or 308. I have looked into ballistics on them but I am curious about real world application and usage on deer. Thanks for any input.
as a general rule, target rifles and hunting rifles are two different types of rifles, each with a specific function. yes they can and are used interchangeabily by some people, but not to their full potential when used as the rifle was designed for.

as for the brands you suggested, all of them are great rifles with great reputations for quality and accuracy. the smoothness of the action doesn't aid in accuracy at all. the vast majority of a rifles accuracy comes from the quality of the barrel and it's rifling.

the huge factor of many people, the military and LE agencies using the M700 rifles and actions is the aftermarket support in parts and accessories for them. the Savage has about the same aftermarket support as the Remington does and Savage has expanded their line-up of available options in types of rifles available directly from them. the Kimber is a reat rifle, but i am not aware of any aftermarket support in parts and accessories for them.

of the ammo choices you listed, the 308 and the 30-06 would serve most hunters need in a hunting round, and both have excellent choices available in factory ammo for just about any hunting or shooting needs a person might have. IMO, the 300 W.M. would be a bit much for most deer hunting unless stepping out to longer distances that were very open and not being able to get in closer for a shot.

personally, i would think about having two rifles, each suited to it's intended purpose, rather trying to make one rifle fill both roles.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

The 700 doesn't have the smoothest action. That would be the territory held solely by the winchester model 70. Smooth action isn't a term I would use to describe a 700 or any other push feed action.

I would go with a savage over a reemington 700 any day. Easier and cheaper to make stupid accurate with no need for chamber reaming to switch barrels. In the bolt gun world the savage 10/110 is the ar15 lego system of bolt guns. The savage accutrigger system is just as good as any custom trigger system and easy to work on. There is nothing on a savage that isn't diy without the need of a gunsmith.

The 700 became popular because it was cheap. If it was coming out today against current savage rifles it would be laughed off the shelves. It holds its place purely through nostalgia.

Hunting and target shooting are different things. Polar opposites. While you can do both with either neither lends itself well to the other discipline.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 03-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Crazyape welcome to the forum,you stubbled onto a great forum full of knowledge.

To give advice on which caliber would be best for deer hunting or long range target shooting,you need to give us more information.
For starters what type of terrain will you be deer hunting,is it wide open 300+ yard shots or dense woods hunting where a 100 yards is a long shot? Also define what long range target shooting to you? 300 yds or 1000 yds?.

Are you looking for a deer hunting rifle you can take to the range to work on your rifle skills,or a full pledged designated long range target rifle? A hunting rifle and a designated long range target rifle are completely different platforms.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
Crazyape welcome to the forum,you stubbled onto a great forum full of knowledge.

To give advice on which caliber would be best for deer hunting or long range target shooting,you need to give us more information.
For starters what type of terrain will you be deer hunting,is it wide open 300+ yard shots or dense woods hunting where a 100 yards is a long shot? Also define what long range target shooting to you? 300 yds or 1000 yds?.

Are you looking for a deer hunting rifle you can take to the range to work on your rifle skills,or a full pledged designated long range target rifle? A hunting rifle and a designated long range target rifle are completely different platforms.
I would say 300 to 400 yard is about the longest shot I will get on a deer, and as far as "long range" shooting that is probably about the limit now also. My dad has a Savage 110 in 30-06 and the action on it seems very loose and feels cheep.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #6

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
I would say 300 to 400 yard is about the longest shot I will get on a deer, and as far as "long range" shooting that is probably about the limit now also. My dad has a Savage 110 in 30-06 and the action on it seems very loose and feels cheep.
Crazyape,

300-400 yard deer hunting I would look into a 308 or 30-06.
The 300 WM is a fine cartridge,just way more than needed for hunting deer at your stated hunting distance,also a 308 or 30-06 would make a good 300-400 yard hunting rig as well as a good target round.

As far as rifles,it really boils down to what you like and works well for you.

The best way to do that is go to local gun shops and really look over all the brands,shoulder the rifles,work the bolts,safeties,and if allowed the triggers to see what you like and don't like.
There's a lot of excellent bolt action rifles on the market to choose from.

Most of my BA rifles are older Remingtons,which were known as the poor mans rifle that turned out be very reliable and accurate hunting rifles. I also have a Savage 110 30-06 that's a very nice solid hunting rig.

I just grew up on the Remington firearms hunting,and have had good results with reliability and accuracy through the 40+ years hunting/shooting. With that said,I was checking out some of the newer BA rifles on the market a couple weeks ago,the rifle that really caught my attention?. A new Winchester model 70 Featherweight,chambered in 7mm-08 or 308 imo would make a perfect whitetail rifle.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #7

Liked 325 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
I would go with a 30-06 and a "looser" action in the field is better than a "tight" action when it comes to dirt and rain. I run a .300 WM with a Remington receiver for a 1000+ yard target rifle and it weighs 17.1 lbs. with scope and 5 rounds in magazine. I would not lug this weight around while hunting and conversely, I would not use a much lighter rifle for long range target shooting.

The major problem you will have with a hunting contour barrel for target shooting is, as you are shooting repeated back to back rounds, the barrel heats up and "wow's" just enough to keep changing your point of impact.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

Crazy,

First of all a lot will depend on your decision on what is most important to you.
The 300 is a good round no doubt. It also has the most recoil of the three. However ammunition costs a lot more and may not be as available as the 308 or 30-06 at all stores throughout the country. For true long range it obviously would be a great choice for shots on most game over 300 yards.
However the 308 and 30-06 are good rifles for ranges 300 and under on game.
As far as the rifles being the Remington 700 and the Savage normally the 110 series rifles for hunting. Both rifles are very accurate and would certainly do the job you mentioned. In my opinion both rifles have their individual advantages. In my opinion the Remington 700 has the smoother action of the two. But factory out of the box the Savage has the best trigger with the Accutrigger system. The Remington 700 has an OK trigger but is best tuned by a factory service center to be as good as the stock Savage Trigger. I have both rifles at the present. But my favorite hunting rifle is the Model 700 CDL Remington in 7MM Remington Magnum since I hunt in Texas a lot and longer shots are the norm. Either rifle would make you a great hunting rifle. And the 308 is a good choice due to the least recoil of the other two calibers and as the 30-06 ammunition is easy to get in what ever range you want. From lighter bullets for varmints to deer and the 30-06 for larger game at longer ranges. Good luck on your decision. As I stated it boils down to a personal preference in the end.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 03-31-2014 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-31-2014, 02:20 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks to everyone you have all helped and given me some things to consider.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:34 AM   #10

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Thanks to everyone you have all helped and given me some things to consider.

Check out the Remmington Sendero.
Very accurate rifle.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.