Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem.700 R5 milspec ss, what do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rem.700 R5 milspec ss, what do you think?

Put a Remington 700 R5 milspec .308 in stainless on lay-a way this weekend. Picked it over a Savage 11G Hunter. Cost almost twice as much, but I like it. What do you fellas in the know think about this gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2009, 02:47 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

all i know is that they look hella sweet, JD will say something about cuz he hates the 700 action, but hell probly give kudos on it

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I would have gone with the Savage personally. I've fired both rifles in question and the Savage is by far, the nicer of the two.

FYI, nothing with a stainless finish is military spec. One of the major military specifications is that all arms be coated with a phosphate conversion coating.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
JD will say something about cuz he hates the 700 action
Not entirely true - I just don't feel it's the best choice for a "tactical" rifle out there.

Here are the pluses:

They are one of the most widely purchased, and produced, rifle actions on the planet.

Everyone that is a closest gunsmith can work on them, they are very forgiving on tooling and don't require a tremendous amount of serious equipment to upgrade.

There are drop in parts for just about the whole damn rifle that you can purchase and fine tune the "deficiencies" that a few of us feel are warranted for a full "tactical" field rifle.

If you bought it for plinking at the range and an occassional shoot against your buddies, I think you will be fine if you are comfortable with the price.

.308 is a good round, it can be found everywhere in the event of SHTF, and it has the ability to take game in North America and put down Space Zombies with the right placement of ammo.

I wouldn't have personally purchased it, especially at double the price of the Savage, but it's a personal preference thing. If you like it, that is all that should matter to you.

Now, as for Remington, I have seen the Future Offering of the Remington MPD Sniper Rifle they will be unveiling at SHOT 2009 and I think EVERYONE will soon be a Remington nut hugger.

JD

Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
TJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I would have gone with the Savage personally. I've fired both rifles in question and the Savage is by far, the nicer of the two.

FYI, nothing with a stainless finish is military spec. One of the major military specifications is that all arms be coated with a phosphate conversion coating.
I believe the "milspec" is in reference to the twist rate. I could be wrong though.