Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Rem. 700 Barrel? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rem-700-barrel-16005/)

guitarguy1 07-22-2009 08:06 PM

Rem. 700 Barrel?

Has anyone seen/shot the triangular barrel that Remingtons putting on a model of the 700? Any thoughts about this style barrel? Im thinking about picking one up, but Im not sure about the triangle shape compared to the normal circular style barrel.

cpttango30 07-22-2009 08:08 PM

It is nothing more than a gimmick to make you spend more money on a rifle that looks like some 2 year old designed it. If I could I would kick remington's designers in the nuts for that crap right there. Seen a fee of them and the ones I seen on the range were shooting like shot guns no matter what they were shooting.

Yunus 07-22-2009 08:52 PM

Remington 700 VTR - Sniper Central

Quote:

The VTR shoots ok, but I would not say good, at least in comparison to the other heavy barrel Remington rifles available. We did manage to get one sub .5" group at 100 yards, but we had to really work at it. The small group of the day was .448", but the average group size of the good groups fired (meaning no obviously bad called flyers, etc) was only .858". This is not quite up to the normal accuracy we typically will see out of a 700P, LTR, SPS-Varmint, etc. I believe this is due to the drastic reduction of metal that is removed making the triangle barrel profile. Though the accuracy is still sub 1 MOA, it is just not what we have come to expect from Remington tactical/varmint rifles.
They don't seem to like it much. I haven't shot it but I wouldn't sacrifice accuracy for looks, if you do like the looks of it. I'm not a fan.

stalkingbear 07-23-2009 01:21 AM

The trianglular shape is just a shape-it means it's no more inherently accurate than other shapes. In my opinion it's just a gimmick to attract more buyers.

Dillinger 07-23-2009 01:30 AM

1) This forum DOES NOT endorse Forum Raids.... :cool:

2) I have a custom cut, triangle, .308 Fedral Gold Medal Match Chamber Krieger Barrel on my .308 rig that is getting taken off this summer in place of a bull barrel, Mike Rock 5r Barrel - if anyone wants the take off, let me know, I will make you a hell of a deal. :rolleyes:

JD

BILLYBOB44 07-23-2009 03:26 AM

cpttango Don't hold back!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 132542)
It is nothing more than a gimmick to make you spend more money on a rifle that looks like some 2 year old designed it. If I could I would kick remington's designers in the nuts for that crap right there. Seen a fee of them and the ones I seen on the range were shooting like shot guns no matter what they were shooting.

Come on, tango-tell him what you really think!:p

mattb348 07-23-2009 04:25 AM

The triangular barrel is a complete waste of time and money; it doesn't affect performance at all; if it did, all of the other manufacturers would be making their rifles with triangle barrels as well. I can't beleive they even bothered design this barrel for the model 700. It looks extremely stupid too!