Rem 700 AAC-SD.308 Purchase - Any good advice to share?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem 700 AAC-SD.308 Purchase - Any good advice to share?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rem 700 AAC-SD.308 Purchase - Any good advice to share?

Please share with me your thoughts or experiences with this rifle. Also any setup idea. I plan on getting a can (AAC) in a few months.
Thanks in advance. Semper Fi

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #2

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0351_Vet View Post
Please share with me your thoughts or experiences with this rifle. Also any setup idea. I plan on getting a can (AAC) in a few months.
Thanks in advance. Semper Fi
After purchasing the gun replace the stock with a good quality stock that allows for free floating the barrel. Hs, manners,mcmillan..ect
Then purchase a great scope. This is the most important but most comprised area on a rifle.
The remington 700 platform is a hell of a system. I have used it over seas for close to 7 years. Its a force to be reckoned with. Semper fi brother!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor
After purchasing the gun replace the stock with a good quality stock that allows for free floating the barrel. Hs, manners,mcmillan..ect
Then purchase a great scope. This is the most important but most comprised area on a rifle.
The remington 700 platform is a hell of a system. I have used it over seas for close to 7 years. Its a force to be reckoned with. Semper fi brother!
I am also looking to purchase one. I hear from my army sniper bud that for the money the swfa super sniper is the best. Like he said for the money. Leupold mark 4 is what I like but the price of $1400 is high for me. Log onto sniper central and sniper hide. Central will tell you how to build that into a precision shooting gun for under $800. Both web sites have built that gun and a Howa and sell both for under $1500 ready to shoot. I am sure they would have some up grades u might be interested in. Central cost $100 per year for membership. To my knowledge hide is free.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Great rifle, I have the standard rem 700 sps tactical chambered in 308. I started my rifle off with a super sniper 10x fixed, great optics for the money. A truly functional budget build optic. I eventually upgraded to a vortex viper 5-15x44 mil mil rifle scope. I think vortex has come a long way, their scopes are excellent quality, and their warranty can hold its own against Leupolds. I run them on all my rifles, and would recommend them to anyone.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 993 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I bought the Remington 700 SPS-V in .308 a couple of years back. The first thing I did was change out the synthetic stock with a heavy laminate stock with aluminum bedding blocks. The heavy varmint barrel free floats in it. I then topped it off with heavy scope rings and a KonusPro M-30 6-25x44mm scope. Then I took out the factory floor plate and added a 10 round detachable magazine. This thing is an extremely accurate rifle and its capabilities exceed my own.

image-904906605.jpg

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post
I bought the Remington 700 SPS-V in .308 a couple of years back. The first thing I did was change out the synthetic stock with a heavy laminate stock with aluminum bedding blocks. The heavy varmint barrel free floats in it. I then topped it off with heavy scope rings and a KonusPro M-30 6-25x44mm scope. Then I took out the factory floor plate and added a 10 round detachable magazine. This thing is an extremely accurate rifle and its capabilities exceed my own.
Nice looking rifle, what brand floor plate did you go with? My action is sitting in a bell and Carlson, I didn't like the webbing so I did a gap camo duracoat job on it myself. I went with the wyatts bottom metal since it was a drop in to any factory rem 700 stock cutout without inletting from a gunsmith.
forumrunner_20130111_203553.jpg   forumrunner_20130111_203618.jpg   forumrunner_20130111_203649.jpg   forumrunner_20130111_203811.jpg  

Old 01-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post

Attachment 79257
TG, what brand of laminate stock is that? i really like the looks of it and the bedding block is a nice touch as well.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrow175

Nice looking rifle, what brand floor plate did you go with? My action is sitting in a bell and Carlson, I didn't like the webbing so I did a gap camo duracoat job on it myself. I went with the wyatts bottom metal since it was a drop in to any factory rem 700 stock cutout without inletting from a gunsmith.
Here is the one I ordered from stockysstocks.com. It required absolutely zero fitting and fits like a glove. I found out real quick that it feeds out of the magazine about 3x as smooth as feeding from the staggered internal mag. I went with the 10 round version cause you just never know when you might need those extra rounds! I guess I might order a 5 round mag for it at some point.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

TG, what brand of laminate stock is that? i really like the looks of it and the bedding block is a nice touch as well.
That is a Long Range Target/Tactical from stockysstocks.com. It a drastic improvement over the pos synthetic that came on it.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #10

Default Thanks for all the replies and Semper Fi Brotha's.

Thanks for all the replies and Semper Fi Brotha's.

I have almost decided: Okay, the Black w Grey Webbing B&C M40A5 (As shown in first pic).

I am considering the Badger Ord M5 Detachable Mag Setup, w/ 5 & 10 mags. I will probably send it to Badger for the Milling and Install ($75) That way, if they jack it up, they own it.
For mounts I am going with the Badger USMC Rail with lug(s) but I am still researching the lug / no lug options as some say to mill the 20 MOA into the top of the receive,r and others say just use a rail that builds in the 20 MOA.

(What I would really like is the Rem MARS Rail.)

Also I am installing a forward BO #1005-306-59 Additional optics PVS-22 Rail. It just makes the M40A5 look so damn sexy.

For rings BO and the scope will, I am leaning towards Night Force. Just have to start turning in my beer bottles for the refund.

Give me you thoughts: Especially the M5 over the Wyatt's as I have looked at both.

I'm also liking this stock equally.