Rem 700 300 win mag

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem 700 300 win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Default Rem 700 300 win mag

I want to get a longer range hunting rifle but I also want to do a little bit of target shooting (500-1000yds) and in my research I came up with the 700 in 300 WM because it is really flat shooting is plenty big to take down a deer and can be shot at long range. I have never shot a 300 WM so would appreciate some input on how the recoil is, how accurate it is, and anything else you might want to add. Thanks (yes I have thought about the 338 LM but that stuff is freakin expensive)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

A model 700 in 300 win mag is a great rifle and caliber but a over kill for deer. You will need to take head shots to not ruin meat with it.You might be better off reading up some ballistics on smaller calibers.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenut58 View Post
A model 700 in 300 win mag is a great rifle and caliber but a over kill for deer. You will need to take head shots to not ruin meat with it.You might be better off reading up some ballistics on smaller calibers.
Shot placement man ,shot placement , right behind the shoulder where the red dot is and you will have almost no loss , there is very little meat in that ribcage area anyway .

.300 win mag is about as cheap as ammo gets out to 1000 yards. I know some guys will come on here and say use a .308 but for that distance the .300 win mag is far better ballistic wise at that distance .
mule-deer.jpg  

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 06-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Shot placement man ,shot placement , right behind the shoulder where the red dot is and you will have almost no loss , there is very little meat in that ribcage area anyway .

.300 win mag is about as cheap as ammo gets out to 1000 yards. I know some guys will come on here and say use a .308 but for that distance the .300 win mag is far better ballistic wise at that distance .
You shoot a deer as close in the picture with a 300 win mag and it will send bloodshot all through the shoulder.
Bloodshot is caused with high velocity calibers by the shock wave from the bullet and it will travel right across the rib cage into surrounding muscle.
Just like dropping a pebble in water and watching the waves.
The same goes for a the wave a bullet pushes on contact the wave travels and the faster the bullet the further it will travel.
A deer posing that close would get it right between the eyes If I was shooting it.
300 win mags are very common where I live and hunt and most people don't hunt deer.They hunt elk and are packing a elk rifle but when we come across a deer which we call sausage ,we use our elk rifles on them.
There fore its very common knowledge you don't heart and lung a deer at close range with a 300 win mag.
It blood shots the hell out of them.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:

You shoot a deer as close in the picture with a 300 win mag and it will send bloodshot all through the shoulder.
Bloodshot is caused with high velocity calibers by the shock wave from the bullet and it will travel right across the rib cage into surrounding muscle.
Would it still do that on a lung shot?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Just like dropping a pebble in water and watching the waves.
The same goes for a the wave a bullet pushes on contact the wave travels and the faster the bullet the further it will travel.
A deer posing that close would get it right between the eyes If I was shooting it.
300 win mags are very common where I live and hunt and most people don't hunt deer.They hunt elk and are packing a elk rifle but when we come across a deer which we call sausage ,we use our elk rifles on them.
There fore its very common knowledge you don't heart and lung a deer at close range with a 300 win mag.
It blood shots the hell out of them.
I'm sorry,but I've hunted with a 308/30-06/and 300 WM for several decades,and unless you have poor shot placement they do not ruin much edible meat on a deer.
You also need to shoot the correct type of bullet for the ranges that you plan on hunting.Different types of bullets perform in different ways at certain velocities.Some bullets don't expand well when shot at higher velocities,and others will completely come apart on impact at higher velocities.
A bonded core type bullet usually gives the shooter good expansion at most velocities.Most ballistic tipped bullets work better at slower velocities than higher.
I agree with taking a head or neck shot when the hunter feels comfortable in doing so. I've never had to track an animal shot in either area,they drop where they are standing.

dmbeck97,there are plenty of smaller calibers that will shoot long range targets,and still be able to take deer out to 400-500 yards,but I've never seen the need for taking shots farther than 300 on any deer.
A 300 WM in a hunting style rifle does pack a decent dose of recoil,and most that are setup for long range work are too heavy to tote around hunting-mine weighs around 17 lbs.
Most sporter weight barrels will only allow a couple shots back to back before the barrel will heat up and accuracy will go away.
A varmint style barrel works better for target shooting,but weighs more.
I'd suggest looking into a smaller caliber such as any of the 6.5mm calibers like the 260 Remington / 6.5 Creedmoor / 6.5 x 55 Swede,or a 7mm-08 or 308.
The 6.5mm calibers are very flat shooting,and will hit 1k with no problem,plus they have very little recoil.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club