Rem 700 .270
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem 700 .270

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rem 700 .270

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have a Remington 700 in .270, is there any long range mods i can make that are easy to do for a beginner? I am just starting up and need all the advice I can get! I heard there were several mods for the remington 700, but I would like to shoot at least 400 if not 500 yards??? I've heard some say you could shoot a 130 gr ballistic tip and sight about 5 inches high at 100 and hit around -6 inches at 400...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter2k9 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have a Remington 700 in .270, is there any long range mods i can make that are easy to do for a beginner? I am just starting up and need all the advice I can get! I heard there were several mods for the remington 700, but I would like to shoot at least 400 if not 500 yards??? I've heard some say you could shoot a 130 gr ballistic tip and sight about 5 inches high at 100 and hit around -6 inches at 400...
There are many things one can do to a Remmy 700 to "improve" the accuracy potential of the rifle. However, the "gear" is secondary to the rifleman.

I think the best advice is to shoot the rifle you have (A LOT) until you answer your own questions as to the maximum ability concerning you and your current set up.

There are too many individuals (who can afford the most expensive stock, optic and gunsmithing) concentrating on equipment looking for the holy grail to acheive sub MOA at extended ranges.

The debate about "the best" rifle and the "the best" scope is really secondary to the ability of the individual.

Obviously, the quality of ammunition is a KEY variable. High dollar match ammo or a reloading set up is key to finding out what your rifle likes too shoot. Bullet weight, barrel twist etc. all play a factor in longer range effectivity.

Shoot as often as you can. Keep a notebook on different loads and the accuracy of each. Make your sessions as challenging as possible. Shoot from differing positions and in adverse weather. Find out what that .270 will do now, then, make some educated decisions as to what you want to buy.

Here is my 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I replaced the factory Hogue stock with a Bell & Carlson A2, it has an EGW pic rail, Warne steel rings, a decent tactical ranging scope (WoTac), the trigger has been replaced, the rifle also has aftermarket detachable box mag and floorplate replacement. Harris swivel bi pod, and an oversize bolt knob complete the list of "mods". This rifle (including purchase price) is now close to $1500 invested. You can go all the way to $10K and beyond if you want to.

Before improvements group @ 100:

After improvements @ 100:

These modifications help me shoot MOA @ 500 yds. It is not a 'work' rifle. It is not a hunting rifle. It is a "hobby" rifle. I spent the money on upgrades after I shot 1000 rounds with it box stock with a $100 Chinese scope.

Last edited by crockett007; 08-30-2010 at 03:56 PM.