Rem 458 Mag. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rem 458 Mag.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you want to find out more about your Remington 700 Safari I would call Remington at Company Information - Our Company - Remington Company Information

They will be able to tell you all you need to know about your rifle. Not sure what you want up to do....

Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #12

Thank you for your thoughts.. I was just wondering about this gun, I got it at a very good price from a old Gun man and it seems to be a cut above a average Rem Gun. But it was never on their their list to buy... I found that strange thats All .

Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #13

More than likely it was a custom shop gun which normally don't show up in catalogs or on the web site.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

2010 was the last year of remington's safari 700 line. they discontinued because of poor sales. it was a normal production gun which could also be had through the custom shop. most liekly it was not a custom gun. the safari line for remington like winchester and cz offerings with their base models was on par with the normal high grade offerings in smaller calibers.

if you got a base model safari it was on par with the higher end 700's in 30-06 etc.

to attract buyers for a very limited select market rifle makers tend to put much more quality into their big bores with the exception of ruger. there is a lot of competition for the limited big bore market. those that buy them tend to focus on quality which is why your safari is a better quality than a typical base 700.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

They used to offer the 798 in .458. It was a Czech Mauser made for Remington.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned about the opinion that Rem 700s aren't good in the large calibers--that's total fabrication. The ONLY reason they aren't as popular is because they are not controlled feed actions--some dangerous game hunters will only use controlled feed bolt actions--however the 700 action is stronger and one of the best in the world. You've got a great gun--congratulations.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #17

So.. on this forum Rem could not make a Great Big Bore.. Gun... very interesting...... So its a piece of ****... very interesting!

Last edited by Rant; 01-20-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rant View Post
So.. on this forum Rem could not make a Great Big Bore.. Gun... very interesting......
nope thats just my opinion. i dont speak for the entire ftf community just for myself.

but i did not come to that opinion out of a whim or any bias against remington or the 700. ive been shooting big bore rifles for over 25 years i have 2 belted magnums currently used to have a third. i also own and cherish a remington 700 xcr.

i also didnt say that the 700 bigbores were junk.

if you just wanna target shoot with em go for it.

if you wanna hunt things in africa with it i strongly recomend doing some serious research on dangerous game hunting first in regards to rifle selection. there IS a reason they arent popular with the dangerous game crowd.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rant View Post
So.. on this forum Rem could not make a Great Big Bore.. Gun... very interesting...... So its a piece of ****... very interesting!
At ease there soldier. The Remington 700 is a good rifle, you won't get much argument about that. Is it a great gun? No. There are better out there (and I have a 700). The feature that keeps it from being the first choice for a dangerous game rifle is the push feed. Dangerous game rifles should have controlled feed.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Dangerous game rifles should have controlled feed.
I 15000% endorse that feeling.

When things get hot and heavy and you have a pissed off animal that can eat your or crush you and not even think twice about it. There is nothing like a controlled round feeding.