Refinishing a Mosin Nagant
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Refinishing a Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Refinishing a Mosin Nagant

Alright, I am going to be refinishing a Mosin Nagant. If all goes well I'll be doing a second one. I want to refinish the stock and maybe reblue the metal. Has any one got suggestions for good cold blue products? Methods? I am still trying to decide on the best way to refinish the stock. But I am mostly worried about the reblueing. Is it something the average Joe can do? On the stock I am trying to decide what color of stain i want to use, just the regular orange? Try and put it back in its prime? Or my other choice is no stain at all. Like some of the Mausers. My stock doesn't have any tiger striping though so it might just look stupid. Please all input welcome, thank you kind Gun Gods.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You can use many cold blue products but don't use blue wonder it doesn't work at all.

I like brownells Oxpho blue it is slow and painstaking process but you get a very nice even blue finish when done. For a nagant I would get one of the spray on products like ALUMA-HYDE II from brownells. This product produces a good tough coating and is just as easy as a spray paint. they even have videos that show you how to do it.

If it were me I would just strip the stock If you can fit it in the dishwasher that will do a really good job just do it while wife or mom is gone and clean up good.

If not start with 100 grit and work to 320 or 400 grit. Now for the finish I wold go one of two ways Boiled linseed oil or Truoil. Either are easy to work with BLO you apply once a day for a week once a week for a month and once a month for a year and once a year for ever. Truoil is very basic and the way you apply it determins the finish you get. If you apply it and let it dry it will be glossy if you rub it in a lot while it is drying then it will be more of a dull finish. If you stock is blond (IE Light colored wood) you hay need to stain it first. just get any old stain and go at it. If you don't like it sand it off.

I HATE BLO it is a pain in the 6. it never really hardens it takes for ever to get off a stock and it never really fully drys. It doesn't get as hard or protect as good a truoil. I am lacquering a stock right now. but for a shooters and beater like a nagant I would just truoil the hell out of the stock and call it a day.

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-19-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've monkeyed with my stock, and find that the wood is alot softer than I like. I stripped it, sanded by hand, and found that it had an almost crumbly property to it that made me stop right there. I dumped a can of clear spray lacquer on it a layer at a time, so it's now fairly well protected.

Bear in mind, there was never a time when these things looked showroom new. They were banged out quickly, so anything you do to it will probably be a huge improvement to the way it looked as it came off the line.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 AM   #4

As a side note about Aluma-Hyde II, don't bother. I used it on my SIG 1911 and the finish wore through in a couple of weeks. I stripped it back down and used a self etching primer and then a high temp engine paint( I know it's not blued, but for a Mosin flat black would look pretty good) I baked it the same as the Aluma-Hyde II and several months later I've only got some wear on the holster friction surfaces. Now if it were a real valuable collectible(maybe someday)
I might have it professionally blued or parkerized or whatever the original finish was.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would suggest Oxpho like tango posted for the metal. It's the best cold bluing I've seen.

For the wood, spray BROWNELLS : CHEM-PAK : Gun Sav'R CUSTOM OIL GUNSTOCK FINISH - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools according to directions after the wood is sanded/stripped/stained. I use a lot of it with excellent results.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Nice! Very informative and useful thread guys. I may have to get me one of those nagants. They have them here locally for $120

Old 08-20-2009, 04:18 AM   #7

Any firearm you buy is yours, so you can certainly do with it as you will. However, please understand that if you take a $100-$150 rifle, strip and sand it and re-blue or phosphate or refinish however, at a cost of another $100 in materials, you end up with a $100 rifle.

Tom

Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #8

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

How about going in a completely different direction?

Take a look at my refinishing project on a 1967 Marlin 60:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-tango-plunkungfest-westeren-auto-120-a-14041/#post107914

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Now that's cool!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trautert View Post
Any firearm you buy is yours, so you can certainly do with it as you will. However, please understand that if you take a $100-$150 rifle, strip and sand it and re-blue or phosphate or refinish however, at a cost of another $100 in materials, you end up with a $100 rifle.

Tom
True, but you have a nicer $100 rifle than all the other $100 rifles and if you want to sell you'd just have to find the right person that understands that.

Tags
mosin nagant, newbie, reblueing, refinishing