ReDeployment M1A
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ReDeployment M1A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ReDeployment M1A

Alright, I have been on this forum for a little while now and this is a very knowledgeable and for the most part friendly group. Now here is the thing.
When I get back to the states I plan on building a LMT AR platform, but what I have always wanted is a Springfield M1A Scout Squad. I have been a big fan of the M1A, M14, M21 for a long time and when I got to shoot a decked out M21 a few weeks ago I was sold.

Here is a few questions that I have about that rifle

1. All this talk about barrel length how much will that really effect the maximum effective range of the rifle? For instance a 7.62 NATO is tried and true round. This has been proven through out history, but from what I can tell a 7.62 is a 7.62 any way you look at it and I don't see that round maxing out at 200 or 300 meters regardless of barrel length, I would like to know the real effect a 18" vs a 16.5" vs a 22" barrel has on max range. I would think that the barrel length has an effect on max range but I think that round and weapon can reach out and be accurate to 500m with no problem, but I am no expert.

2. There is a crazy long waiting list for a M1A Scout Squad and I have not yet found a retailer that has that weapon in stock, Is that because of the actual quality and ability of that particular model or is it just the "fad" weapon right now.

Thank you all very much for any help or info I can get, I do not head back to the states for about another 4 months and I have been trying to get the Wife on board with this gun but it might take a little while to get the thumbs up, so I don't mind waiting a while to get this weapon if it is worth it.

Last edited by melch79; 06-08-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by melch79 View Post

Here is a few questions that I have about that rifle

1. All this talk about barrel length how much will that really effect the maximum effective range of the rifle? For instance a 7.62 NATO is tried and true round. This has been proven through out history, but from what I can tell a 7.62 is a 7.62 any way you look at it and I don't see that round maxing out at 200 or 300 meters regardless of barrel length, I would like to know the real effect a 18" vs a 16.5" vs a 22" barrel has on max range. I would think that the barrel length has an effect on max range but I think that round and weapon can reach out and be accurate to 500m with no problem, but I am no expert.
im no expert either. from what i understand the barrel length loses a small fraction of energy the shorter it gets from its optimal length. this loss is not noticable for practical purposes. barrel length aids accuracy greatly if iron sights are employed in the respect that the greater the distance between front and rear the more accurate it is. scopes make that a moot issue.

Quote:
2. There is a crazy long waiting list for a M1A Scout Squad and I have not yet found a retailer that has that weapon in stock, Is that because of the actual quality and ability of that particular model or is it just the "fad" weapon right now.
they are currently desirable by the doomsday 2012 and the gubbament gonna get us all militant militia crowd plus those that just enjoy the m14 pattern rifles. this means they will be in short supply for a time. so as for fad its yes and no. there is some fad aspect to the current demand but that is based more on paranoia than anything. this doesnt mean they are crappy guns. fad does not equate with crap.

my personal take on the m1a/m14 style is i find them way to heavy for the round they fire. they are definately fun guns, used to have one.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had the Scout Squad model with the synthetic stock. I chose it because it was slightly shorter than the regular length barrel. I also chose it over the SOCOM, because the SOCOM is very loud with the 16'5" barrel. A 7.62x51 round is loud enough without exaggerating it.

I felt the Scout offered me a somewhat more handy size and was the best of all worlds in the Springfield line. If I had it to do over again, I'd happily buy another one if I could afford it.

Just my humble opinion.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

So what is the optimal barrel length for the M1A/M14. What will the maximum effective ranges be for those lengths, and why is the M1A Scout Squad the preferred weapon for the doomsday and the militia crowd?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
So what is the optimal barrel length for the M1A/M14. What will the maximum effective ranges be for those lengths, and why is the M1A Scout Squad the preferred weapon for the doomsday and the militia crowd?
the 308 is accurate hard hitting capable of taking anything that walks in north america game wise. it has a very wide selection of .30cal bullets to pick from with ammo available anywhere.

the scout rifle is small and relatively light for a M1a. this lends well to carrying around a powerful accurate high capacity rifle.

as for optimal length if i remember right the .308 likes a 20"ish length. but that really isnt that important unless your into CMP style matches.

are you looking for one for a specific application as in survival, hunting, competition or just plinking?? or do you just like M1A's??

Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I am neither a Doomsday or Militia "type".

I am the older guy, veteran type.

I already stated my reasons for liking the Scout Squad model. I worked in a gun shop and handled all the models in all the variations regularly. I chose it because it felt best to me and it was one heck of a good rifle.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #7

Well I am a really big fan of the M1As. I am not a big hunter but I know that for the most part the M1A will be able to handle pretty much anything I can throw at it if I do choose to hunt. I do enjoy target shooting. I am a pretty good shot with my M16 even though I was just volentold to be my teams new SAW gunner. I would like to try out shooting in a competition and hope that I do not embarrass myself. Is the Scout Squad an adequate rifle in a match or would I be laughed off the firing line. I have never been to a comp so I would not want to be "that guy". I am not the doomsday or militia type either, I just like shooting and having a great day on the range.
Thank you for your help JonM and Ca357

Last edited by melch79; 06-08-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't shoot in competition, so a more experienced hand will have to help you there.

M14's Rock is quite an expert on the platform and has some top of the line M1A's. Maybe shoot him a PM?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Well I am a really big fan of the M1As. I am not a big hunter but I know that for the most part the M1A will be able to handle pretty much anything I can throw at it if I do choose to hunt. I do enjoy target shooting. I am a pretty good shot with my M16 even though I was just volentold to be my teams new SAW gunner. I would like to try out shooting in a competition and hope that I do not embarrass myself. Is the Scout Squad an adequate rifle in a match or would I be laughed off the firing line. I have never been to a comp so I would not want to be "that guy". I am not the doomsday or militia type either, I just like shooting and having a great day on the range.
Thank you for your help JonM and Ca357
i doubt you would get laughed at on a range less you make a jerk of yourself or there are benchrest types that clean their guns for three days in between shots.

most club competitions allow normal folks with normal guns to compete in a fun atmosphere. it is pretty much the opposite of military ranges.

the rifle itself isnt as important as the person on the trigger.

i would say get the gun you want. one that is aesthetically pleasing and feels good in your hands is prolly more important. i would also recomend going to a few gunshows before you buy. you may like the feel of a full size or a different rifle altogether. the least concern would be the loss or gain of a few fps on barrel length.

just remember im just giving my opinions. this is the interweb after all.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #10

Thank you both, I really appreciate the info and opinions.