Red dot sight recommendation?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Red dot sight recommendation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Red dot sight recommendation?

I have an original Ruger .44 magnum carbine, the Deerstalker. It loads via a tubular magazine in the forestock, and does not use the rotary mag that later models did.

I've gotta admit that it's been sorta ignored lately, and I thought I'd put it to more use this summer. As part of that process, I was thinking of putting a red dot sight on it, but am not as up on modern optics as I should be, so am looking for suggestions on a decent little red dot sight that won't break the bank.

Recommendations?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Bump.......

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Wow...what does "break the bank" mean? A Fastfire III is in the $300 range and doesn't look as tactical as some of the tubular RDS's. A Vortex SPARC is on the smaller side and costs about $200. On the more expensive side, the Aimpoint PRO would be awesome, but probably overkill on a rifle that you don't need the always-on feature. The Vortex Strikefire is closer to $150...

I just bought a Bushnell TRS-25 at about $100, but I'm using it for a rimfire. I'm not sure it could withstand much .44mag.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5667 Times on 2959 Posts
Likes Given: 375

strikefire or sparc from vortex are excellent in the budget price range. ive got a ruger 44 carbine tube fed im using a nikon monarch 1-4x. ive got a sparc and a strikefire both are able to withstand the recoil but the gun jumps too much for a dot sight to be really useful i like the nikon on it better.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #5

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

I've used one if the Bushnell TRS 25 red dots on a AR, and a Marlin 336 in .30-30. It is small, fairly light and should do fine on a Ruger carbine.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
strikefire or sparc from vortex are excellent in the budget price range. ive got a ruger 44 carbine tube fed im using a nikon monarch 1-4x. ive got a sparc and a strikefire both are able to withstand the recoil but the gun jumps too much for a dot sight to be really useful i like the nikon on it better.
So, are you saying that perhaps a red dot scope wouldn't be the best choice for this gun? I was thinking that such a sight would make it a quick pick up sight for moderrate distances -- 50-75 yards. Like I said, I'm not up on modern optics, and have never used a red dot sight before.

I also have a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum with a 4x scope on it, so I was looking for something that wouldn't be a duplicate.

I might not even be tempted to put a sight on it, if it hadn't been drilled and ready for one when I bought it.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #7

Actually, let me ask the question I should have asked in the beginning. Although I have had this gun about 5 years, it rarely gets shot. One reason is that, although it is possible to use the iron sights with the scope mounts currently on there, I find it annoying. So, I thought, why not put a scope on it? A red dot system crossed my mind, as -- well, as I don't have any firearm with a red dot sight, and I thought it would fit the purpose I would use this gun for, a 50-to 75 yard, fast handling little carbine. (Hunting with this is illegal in Pa, where I currently live). But something that would fit on the existing mountss would be nice.

I have historically been much more of a handgun person, and only recently began to become more interested in long guns. I am also not that knowledgable about modern optics.

So, what suggestions for a scope/sight would you have?

ruger-sight.jpg  

Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5667 Times on 2959 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Im not saying you cant use a red dot, you certainly can. Just in my opinion its not the ideal application. Red dots are great for fast moving whether the target is moving or you are or both thry arent very good for hunting deer where you want some magnification with a decent field of view to spot that buck way back in the tree line.

Red dots dont have any magnification. You can get a magnifier for them and the vortex sparc and strikefire comes with a 2x doubler but it narrows your field of view so small its nearly impossible to scan a tree line.

Im not trying to talk you out of getting one just laying out the negatives of dot sights and there are some substantial ones.

Dot sights are strictly short under 200 yards not even as versatile as the worst iron sights due to the nature of not having the ability to "split" the dot with the target.

They will serve your purpose as long as the batteries hold out. Typically dot sights are used with qd mounts so if something happens to battery or the electronics fail just flip a lever pop the sight offand use the irons.

That isnt even remotely possible with a ruger carbine. You would also have to take the rail off and by the time that happens the deer is gone or the hunt is ruined...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #9

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

I say put a nice 1-4 power scope on it . It still has some magnification if u need it yet still easy to pick up a target on 1-2x . I use a Nikon monarch African on my AR . One of my most favorite scopes for that reason easy to shoot with both eyes open for me

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #10

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

+1 on the Bushnell red dot. It is not expensive, it does the job and it allows you to experiment around a bit and if you decide you want something better, you can always upgrade to a more expensive optic.