Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Red Dot Scope for a rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Red Dot Scope for a rifle.

How well do they work for .22LR rifles, Im thinking a 1x30? Or should I keep the Bushnell sharpshooter 3-9x40?

"Change isn't good or bad. It just is." - Don Draper

Last edited by NymphoGnome; 02-22-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use one on my bush deer riffle and I think they are great for Quick shots and bush hunting.You can keep both eyes open.
I gess on a 22 it is all in what you are using it for.
F.K.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They work great and make it fun to shoot BUT you're going to give up some precision. You'll find times that the dot is actually larger than your intended target. I tried them on both rifles and pistols and went back to conventional scopes on my rifles. The question you have to ask yourself is how precise do you want to be?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #4

They are great if you keep within the guidelines they were meant to be used for. Close range shooting. I put a cheap Tasco reddot on my .444 marlin, and its awesome. I turn the intensity of the light down to about 2 or 3 out of 11 and the dot gets REALLY SMALL. At the range I can hit the gongs at 300 yards consistently with it (off a sandbag rest)
But it is really just meant to be used for quick acquisition of a target at close quarters. Another thing is you have to keep a supply of extra batteries on hand. I still, after 2 years, occasionally forget to turn off the rheostat and drain my battery. Then when I take out the rifle again, I have to curse, change the battery, then get shooting. decent choice for 50-100 shooting.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #5

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
How well do they work for .22LR rifles, Im thinking a 1x30? Or should I keep the Bushnell sharpshooter 3-9x40?
Appleas and oranges... Scopes are great for precission work and red dots are awesome for plinking. BUT why give up either?

Just get a picatinny or weaver rail for your gun and mount the red dot and the scope on QD rings (quick detach) and switch from one to the other as appropriate. If you buy good QD rings like Warnes you will suffer no loss of zero when you switch but even reasonably priced rings like Millet will do fine for a .22.

Ps. the Bushnell Trophy is a great red dot for a reasonable amount of money. My buddy didn't want to spend $500 on an Eotech for his three gun AR so he decided to try the Bushnell out and he as been running it for over a year of hard use with no problems at all.

They run about $80-90.