recommend me a rifle scope.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > recommend me a rifle scope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default recommend me a rifle scope.

Spent some time playing with the hunting rifle, and i really feel the old scope that is on there is pretty archaic and would like something alittle more modern.

Rifle is a Sako L61R chambered to use a 30-06 round with a 5 round capacity. Bolt action of course.

I would like something with adjustable magnification, as we will be using it at a variety of distances. I have been looking online but having a hard time deciding since this will be my first time buying a scope new.

I don't mind paying for something that will last, but i don't need overkill with laser sights or compact design. purely a reliable, accurate scope.

TIA

-Craig

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2009, 02:20 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I dont know your exact use for the scope but I'll assume its hunting/ informal target work.
I dont think you can go wrong with a Leupold vari-x III 4.5-14 if you dont mind spending a few $$.
Leupold VX-3 Rifle Scope 4.5-14x 40mm Adjustable Objective Fine Duplex Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA
Low enough magnification for close shots in tight brush, plenty of magnification for longer range/target clarification with your '06. Great customer service and a warranty for the life of the scope. Doesn't matter if your the original owner or you found it in a garbage can. If you can find a used one cheap..Buy it. thats what I do. If you have any problems send to leupold and they will make it good as new. If your looking for longer range go with the 6.5-20x

For a cheaper alternative I'd look at a swift 4-12 Swift Sport Optics | Riflescopes around $155
Very clear, well made dependable scopes with a full lifetime warranty. Ive used them for years as do many I know and they are probably the best quality for the price. Id pay nearly twice the retail price before Id choose another brand for the quality they provide----.02

Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What ranges do you expect to be shooting? What's your budget? Let us know so that we can assist you better.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-09-2009, 02:49 AM   #4

my guess would be nothing closer than 100 yards. probably between 100-300.

Under $200 is my goal, but like i said, most of my experience has been with just plain old sights in the past. this is my first experience with a scope, so not really sure what to look for.

would i need to get new rings to go with the new scope?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nikon Monarch 4-16X42 $439 here Nikon Monarch 8421 Riflescopes - Rifle Scopes & Sights.

If you want more light go with a 50mm objective Nikon Monarch 8426 Riflescopes - Rifle Scopes & Sights, a little more money at $630

Or look at the Buckmaster for less than $200 Nikon Buckmasters 6420 Riflescopes - Rifle Scopes & Sights

I'm sold on Nikon optics clarity and brilliance!

You may be able to find better prices and I recommend you shop around!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #6

thanks for all the info.

i got the gun handed down to me for free, it was my grandfathers and he can't really shoot or hunt in his current health, so it came to me.

That being said, i like the rifle, but can't justify mounting a $600 scope to a gun i got for free

i'd like to get some more trigger time and practice without too much investment before i go overboard.

any good places to shop around for second-hand gun accessories?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

http://www.gunbroker.com/

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Take a good look at the Burris fullfield 30 line of scopes.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Dude what kind of scope is on it now?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ryder View Post
Spent some time playing with the hunting rifle, and i really feel the old scope that is on there is pretty archaic and would like something alittle more modern.

Rifle is a Sako L61R chambered to use a 30-06 round with a 5 round capacity. Bolt action of course.

I would like something with adjustable magnification, as we will be using it at a variety of distances. I have been looking online but having a hard time deciding since this will be my first time buying a scope new.

I don't mind paying for something that will last, but i don't need overkill with laser sights or compact design. purely a reliable, accurate scope.

TIA

-Craig
I just got a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 and really like it. It should do for anything you want and its a good quality unit. I think they can be had for less than $500 at most places like Bass Pro and Cabelas or on-line as well.