recommend a decent .308 bolt action - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

recommend a decent .308 bolt action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I was shooting my Edge 223 today, sighting in a scope, 2 shots at 100 yards one ragged hole, my Edge 7-08 does that too. My Marlins are almost as good too...........Edge is cheaper....$285 OTD. Edge would do better, needs trigger work, not any creep, just a real heavy pull....

Old 08-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #32

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I wouldn't take a new remington if someone gave it to me. I would take it and trade it in on a savage or a howa.
Yeah, my new Rem 700 SPS Tac is a real piece of junk:

recommend a decent .308 bolt action - General Rifle Discussion

Fed GMM 168 5 shot string @ 100yds:

recommend a decent .308 bolt action - General Rifle Discussion

Old 08-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #33

I also have a junk Remington 700 VTR 22-250, darn will only shoot 1/2" groups........

Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #34

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I am a remington fanboy to the core. all but 2 of my rifles are REMINGTONS.

Their quality control has gone to crap in the last few years. just look at the SPS line. Cheap plastic HOLLOW stocks. If you want a decent looking gun you are not going to pay $900 + for it. If I am spending $900 on a rifle it sure the hell ain't gonna be a remington.

I have seen way to many guns on the shelf that 10 years ago would have never made it out of the factory because the fit and finish was so bad. No steel floor plates nope cheap pot metal with black spray paint. That is like buying a $750,000 home and getting nothing more than the cheap bottom of the barrel contractor grade vinyl windows.

Remington used to be the working mans rifles. Now you have to almost mortgage the house to get a decent model like the VLS, VSSF II ect... Oh and don't even look at a CDL .

A howa is a better rifle for less money.

I never said Remingtons can't shoot good. Mine will out shoot either one of you guys guns. Then again my AR will out shoot your remingtons any day of the week as well....

Now that same company got Barns so expect quality control to go down while prices (High Now) get even higher.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I have seen way to many guns on the shelf that 10 years ago would have never made it out of the factory because the fit and finish was so bad. No steel floor plates nope cheap pot metal with black spray paint. That is like buying a $750,000 home and getting nothing more than the cheap bottom of the barrel contractor grade vinyl windows.

Remington used to be the working mans rifles.
A howa is a better rifle for less money.

I never said Remingtons can't shoot good. Mine will out shoot either one of you guys guns. Then again my AR will out shoot your remingtons any day of the week as well....
Well said. Remington is not what it was 10 years ago. If you're in the market for "plastic" framed ARs (chambered in fancy new cartridges), expensive semi-tack drivers or (in my case) GREAT shooting glasses! Then Remington is for you.

If you want a decent 200 yard-ish rifle for a decent price, shop around. I made the mistake of not doing this and ended up with a new SPS. . . and while it may look good in the photos (so does mine ) and shoot decently. It is STILL (a good %) a piece of cast metal, Chinese bull**** that Remington will NOT stand behind. . .

When I call CS about the excessive rusting, they made damn sure to comment "That's YOUR rifle, sir". Making sure their mediocre POS has been sold for an outrageous $$$ and I will have to do the same to be rid of it.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #36

Nothing wrong with the savage product, or the Stevens line (which = savage without the accutrigger); they are inexpensive to purchase (but not necessarily 'cheap') good shooters with their free floated button rifled barrels. I beleive all the other contenders are hammer forged including Vangaurd/Howa but please correct me if wrong.

For the DIY kind of rifle shooter or even a semi-DIY the Sav/Stevens are very attractive as you can quite easily swap barrels (and chambering) with simple tools. You can even whip the barrel nut off with a monkey wrench if you're either in a bind or not concerned about marking the barrel nut.

That said; a long action Stevens can be chambered in almost any chambering you could desire - even 460WBY. Short action will be limited to '08 length.

For a one rifle solution I would tend towards a Stevens 25-06/270W/30-06 screw on a quality custom 308 barrel, stiffen and maybe paint the stock (diy camo?) and your set until. When you want a new chambering - buy a new barrel or at the price.... buy another stevens.

I have not seen an Edge yet but I understand they are only available in 'short' action and there is some cheaper (plastic) manufacturing in there; although the design of the action appears quite a bit stiffer than the standard Savage.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #37

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have to weigh in on this one. I am a long time remington fan, in fact I have a few of them, two older ones and a new vls . I have to agree that they are not what they used to be by a long shot. Remington is owned by cerberus an investment group, cerberus seems to be all about the buck. they also own marlin and new england firearms so be careful if you look at any of these brands. I don't want to offend anyone but remington was a better company a few years ago.

Last edited by ron12301; 08-22-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: I said too much !

Old 08-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #38

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a Stevens 200 7mm-08 and a Marlin XL7 25-06. Just the adjustable trigger in the Marlin makes it a better rifle than the Stevens 200 or Edge. As for accuracy, both shoot good. But have better 100 yard groups with the Marlin, even after I had improved the trigger pull on the Stevens.