Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Recomendations for a first deer rifle for a teen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Ruger American in 30-06 or .308 . I have heard nothing but good about them.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #62

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
Ruger American in 30-06 or .308 . I have heard nothing but good about them.
Apparently this can't be a good choice because it has a removable box magazine and some experts here will call you a mall ninja and tell you you are not a hunter.

And someone please explain to me how you can upload a rifle with a blind mag without chambering each round?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

You win, not wasting my time on this. You don't need to fully load an internal mag to empty it. Have fun. This was about a youth rifle, you took it to a stupid level. Congrats!
Good to hear you are done. I took it to a stupid level? I was not the one calling folks names and telling them they are not hunters if they carry more than three rounds.

The only thing I did was make the mistake in replying to your none sense.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #64
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16881 Times on 9779 Posts
Likes Given: 44011

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post
Good to hear you are done. I took it to a stupid level? I was not the one calling folks names and telling them they are not hunters if they carry more than three rounds.

The only thing I did was make the mistake in replying to your none sense.
in a way you did. the thread was about what's best for a beginning hunter, not a veteran hunter. and when i first started hunting as a youngster, my father gave me three rounds of ammo. he felt that was all i needed. and he was right, because i never used more than one round!

how many rounds do you really need for deer hunting? IMO, if you need more than one or two, then you really need to spend some more time at the shooting range, and practicing.

Last edited by Axxe55; 06-28-2013 at 01:21 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #65

Yes. And I simply stated my opinion that a removable mag or floor plate is safer for a beginner since there is no need to cycle each round to unload.

And in many locations carrying more than 3 rounds is a matter of preparedness. I've hunted some very remote places where my only way home was hoping the pilot does not forget about me. Carrying only two or three rounds is foolish to say the least.

To say that in order to be a hunter, you can only carry a certain amount of ammo is assinine.

My first deer hunt was in a very remote area near mount Rogers in western Virginia. We were a few hours walk from the vehicles and an hour drive from camp. Everyone carried a extra box of ammo in their packs. I'm pretty sure there were some "real hunters" out there some where.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3615 Times on 2249 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

I've already grown tired of the bickering in this thread. Its really not conducive to helping out the OP.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #67
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16881 Times on 9779 Posts
Likes Given: 44011

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post
Yes. And I simply stated my opinion that a removable mag or floor plate is safer for a beginner since there is no need to cycle each round to unload.

And in many locations carrying more than 3 rounds is a matter of preparedness. I've hunted some very remote places where my only way home was hoping the pilot does not forget about me. Carrying only two or three rounds is foolish to say the least.

To say that in order to be a hunter, you can only carry a certain amount of ammo is assinine.

My first deer hunt was in a very remote area near mount Rogers in western Virginia. We were a few hours walk from the vehicles and an hour drive from camp. Everyone carried a extra box of ammo in their packs. I'm pretty sure there were some "real hunters" out there some where.
frankly, i see the blind mag a non-issue with most bolt actions, as the bolt can be cycled with the safety on. and using proper gun handling habits makes it further a non-issue IMO. i learned at an early age with blind magazine rifles, so what is your point?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #68

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm going to add my voice for 30-30, scoped or not. In fact, since the 30-30 has a much more limited range than .243, .270, .308, 7mm-08...oh the list of longer range rounds could go for awhile...since the 30-30 has a more limited range, aperture sights are a great choice for a 30-30.

I have chosen a Marlin 336 with Skinner aperture sights. Granted, I'm not going to be shooting across the valley with this, but I can still fill my tags.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

frankly, i see the blind mag a non-issue with most bolt actions, as the bolt can be cycled with the safety on. and using proper gun handling habits makes it further a non-issue IMO. i learned at an early age with blind magazine rifles, so what is your point?
What's my point?

I gave an opinion to the subject. Nothing more. Nothing less.

You seem to have problems with any opinion that does not match your own and have to restort to name calling and cutting down others that do not agree with you.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #70

[QUOTE="simpkinst"]

What's my point?

I gave an opinion to the subject. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Crap....
I hate this phone....

That last part was not supposed to go here. Axe.... Please disregard