Recomendations for a first deer rifle for a teen - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Recomendations for a first deer rifle for a teen

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,101
Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post
Can't be beat ?

Exaggerate much? My Venture shoots MOA all day long with anything I feed it.

Plus it actually has a removable magazine, adj trigger, lifetime warranty, etc.

Blind mags suck.
A removable box mag is the last thing a young hunter needs. Why? Easy to loose, not seated correctly and won't feed. That is enough for me. I don't own a single Hunter that has a box mag. With an internal mag well I can add a round on the run and never miss a beat, but then again, I shoot Mauser actions. Controlled feed and it simply is the most reliable action out there. But dumping a round or 2 into the mag takes seconds, not 10,20,30 that it would take to remove a box mag and reload. Grow up! Mall Ninjas not allowed, Man card revoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy420 View Post
Try a Remington 700 adl in .243, 7mm-08, or .308 if you can handle the kick.
Not bad choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
The 700 youth (BDL bottom metal) comes in 7-08 RH or LH. You can add or remove spacers on the stock as needs dictate. I does not get any better than that. It is my 'go to' Deer gun. I took the spacers out and my 11 year old grandson shot his first animal (a hog) with it. Spacers back in, now it's mine again!!!
We don't quite see eye to eye often, but I think you Have a great idea. No need to restock when the lad gets older. Best idea yet!
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
A removable box mag is the last thing a young hunter needs. Why? Easy to loose, not seated correctly and won't feed. That is enough for me. I don't own a single Hunter that has a box mag. With an internal mag well I can add a round on the run and never miss a beat, but then again, I shoot Mauser actions. Controlled feed and it simply is the most reliable action out there. But dumping a round or 2 into the mag takes seconds, not 10,20,30 that it would take to remove a box mag and reload. Grow up! Mall Ninjas not allowed, Man card revoked.



Not bad choices.



We don't quite see eye to eye often, but I think you Have a great idea. No need to restock when the lad gets older. Best idea yet!
JP, you on the mark again!

but, i will add this, ain't nothing wrong with restocking a rifle! gives it new character!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,101
Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default

Hey, nothing wrong w/ a restock. But Jim brings up an option for the budget minded. I'm not that happy w/ some of my restocked rifles. Just a weight issue. The original stocks are so rare, you just don't want to damage them, but the trade off is not up to snuff.

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #54
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Hey, nothing wrong w/ a restock. But Jim brings up an option for the budget minded. I'm not that happy w/ some of my restocked rifles. Just a weight issue. The original stocks are so rare, you just don't want to damage them, but the trade off is not up to snuff.
JP, have you ever tried the Boyd's Gunstocks? i have used two of them so far on a Savage M93r17 and a Marlin XS7. both were laminated stocks and i was very impressed with them. i would use them again and highly recommend them. they also carry walnut stocks for lots of rifles as well. their prices are very reasonable and their shipping is pretty fast too.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,172
Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Default

I have bedded this one and the 'spacers' have no effect on the accuracy (most loads MOA).
I actually bought this gun for me. I always wanted a Remington Model 7, nice small rifle for easy carry and it handles well in the 'thick stuff' and in 7-08 it is capable of taking most game in NA. I shoot LH and this was the only rifle I found that resemble the Model 7 LH. It has a 20 inch bbl so it will get all of the ballistic potential out of the 7-08. It has synthetic stock and flat black metal finish with the BDL type bottom metal. MY COST NIB $460!!! To me function is beauty!
I have had two grandsons use it when I shortened the stock. If you give a young person a rifle like this they can 'grow' the gun as they grow and use it for a live time, not to mention hand it down to the 'little' ones.

__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 73
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

A removable box mag is the last thing a young hunter needs. Why? Easy to loose, not seated correctly and won't feed. That is enough for me. I don't own a single Hunter that has a box mag. With an internal mag well I can add a round on the run and never miss a beat, but then again, I shoot Mauser actions. Controlled feed and it simply is the most reliable action out there. But dumping a round or 2 into the mag takes seconds, not 10,20,30 that it would take to remove a box mag and reload. Grow up! Mall Ninjas not allowed, Man card revoked.

Not bad choices.

We don't quite see eye to eye often, but I think you Have a great idea. No need to restock when the lad gets older. Best idea yet!
Hogwash.

Blind magazines are only there to save the manufacturer $$$. The floor plate and removable mag are superior in every way.

Do you really want a novice cycling through every round to unload the rifle? Or dumping the rounds from floor plate or removing the mag?

I can also keep extra rounds in a spare mag to ease in transport and reloading.
__________________
simpkinst is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buttholeville
Posts: 1,206
Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy420 View Post
OK fine, just get a Remington 770. $350-$485ish
The 770 is overpriced at $150. Last deer season I Bought a .243 700 Adl for $300. It would be perfect for a beginning hunter and would be a rifle that he would want to keep.
__________________
nchunt101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,101
Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post
Hogwash.

Blind magazines are only there to save the manufacturer $$$. The floor plate and removable mag are superior in every way.

Do you really want a novice cycling through every round to unload the rifle? Or dumping the rounds from floor plate or removing the mag?

I can also keep extra rounds in a spare mag to ease in transport and reloading.
A rifle w/ a floorplate is the same as a blind mag in function. Teach new hunters to load 2 or 3 rounds. If you need more, you are not hunting. If you need to carry extra loaded mags, you are not hunting. The only time I use the floorplate on any rifle I own, is for cleaning. Transporting loaded external magazines in most states is the same as a loaded rifle. If not legal as it is in NH, you are in deep with the police and Game warden. Rifles and concealed handgun laws differ. Come hunting w/ me and I'll teach you.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 73
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
A rifle w/ a floorplate is the same as a blind mag in function. Teach new hunters to load 2 or 3 rounds. If you need more, you are not hunting. If you need to carry extra loaded mags, you are not hunting. The only time I use the floorplate on any rifle I own, is for cleaning. Transporting loaded external magazines in most states is the same as a loaded rifle. If not legal as it is in NH, you are in deep with the police and Game warden. Rifles and concealed handgun laws differ. Come hunting w/ me and I'll teach you.
most external mags in bolt action hunting rifles hold 3 rounds.... And this is somehow different than 3 rounds in a blind mag?? The Remington holds 3 or 4 depending on calibre. My 7mm-08 holds 3. So I'm not hunting because my rifle has
a superior design, while holding the same amount of ammo? Interesting opinion.

And how is dropping the rounds out the bottom of the rifle "functionally the a same" as having to cycle each round to eject?

Having to load all the rounds in order to empty the rifle is simply a bad design. There is no arguing this fact.

I have over 45 years of hunting and shooting experience. I have harvested more animals than I can even remember. I don't think I require any lessons at this point. I also have an IQ higher than a bag of hammers and know all the local laws and regulations without your help.
__________________
simpkinst is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #60
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,101
Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post
most external mags in bolt action hunting rifles hold 3 rounds.... And this is somehow different than 3 rounds in a blind mag?? The Remington holds 3 or 4 depending on calibre. My 7mm-08 holds 3. So I'm not hunting because my rifle has
a superior design, while holding the same amount of ammo? Interesting opinion.

And how is dropping the rounds out the bottom of the rifle "functionally the a same" as having to cycle each round to eject?

Having to load all the rounds in order to empty the rifle is simply a bad design. There is no arguing this fact.

I have over 45 years of hunting and shooting experience. I have harvested more animals than I can even remember. I don't think I require any lessons at this point. I also have an IQ higher than a bag of hammers and know all the local laws and regulations without your help.

You win, not wasting my time on this. You don't need to fully load an internal mag to empty it. Have fun. This was about a youth rifle, you took it to a stupid level. Congrats!
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Deer rifle bowhunter17 General Rifle Discussion 22 04-28-2013 04:49 AM
How about a .357 RIFLE for deer? Win73 Hunting Forum 7 07-23-2012 12:41 AM
Birmingham MI Teen Open Carry Rifle Case partdeux Legal and Activism 8 07-15-2012 08:06 PM
First rifle recomendations. johnnywayne General Rifle Discussion 11 07-06-2012 05:41 AM