Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Recomendations for a first deer rifle for a teen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
True, but I don't exactly consider them a rifle for someone of small stature!!! I have shot MANY rounds out of them and to me the recoil is closer to an 06.
Two words : felt recoil.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #32
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16881 Times on 9779 Posts
Likes Given: 44015

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy420 View Post
Go to a place that sells surplus rifles and get a Russian 91-30 rifle. They are just as good a gun as the new modern rifles at less than half the price. They are between $90 and $200 depending on where and when you get them. They are chambered in 7.62x54r and have about the same kick as a 30-30. Most of the ammo is full metal jacket but some companies make expanding ammunition for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy420 View Post
Two words : felt recoil.
yes, felt recoil. the Mosin Nagant has one healthy kick. probably not the best choice for young shooter if he is smaller in size. couple that with a hard metal buttplate, it has a lot of felt recoil.

and how do you quantify that the Mosin is just as good as a new modern rifle? the accuracy is sometimes questionable and they were never designed as a hunting rifle. it was designed as battle rifle made for soldiers with very little to no training and meant to send bullets downrange at the enemy and meant to be used in less than ideal conditions.

yes there are those who hunt with the Mosin, but i would never consider it for a beginning young hunter.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #33
Do what you want and not what others want you to do!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1074 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

yes, felt recoil. the Mosin Nagant has one healthy kick. probably not the best choice for young shooter if he is smaller in size. couple that with a hard metal buttplate, it has a lot of felt recoil.

and how do you quantify that the Mosin is just as good as a new modern rifle? the accuracy is sometimes questionable and they were never designed as a hunting rifle. it was designed as battle rifle made for soldiers with very little to no training and meant to send bullets downrange at the enemy and meant to be used in less than ideal conditions.

yes there are those who hunt with the Mosin, but i would never consider it for a beginning young hunter.
Maybe he is trying to stop him from hunting if he is a small youngin!!!haha. A good kick from a steel plate on a Mosin will wake you up!!! That's how I felt when I first shot my Grandpas 30-06 with a steel plate for a recoil pad.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #34

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
Only reason to consider the 243 is if someone is looking for a varmint rifle with deer capability, the 6mms do tend to be alot better with ultra light varmint pills at blistering speed, but the 7mm romps all over it with deer weight bullets. In no way shape or form does a 85-100gr 243 compare to a 120-160gr 7mm.
The wild card in there is the 6.5mm (6.5x55, 260 Rem, and 6.5 Creedmore) which can effectively split the difference with the strength of both. They can launch 123gr pills faster, flatter and further then a 95gr 243, with only a miniscule increase in recoil and noticeably reduced barrel burn. Compared to the 7mm it looses very little speed in the same weight and gains alot of ballistic co-efficiency, so the tradeoff ends up being the reduced drag and drift of the 6.5mm vs the extra half mm of the 7, there is no right or wrong anwser there I own both
There are heavier higher BC bullets for the 7mm too but the 7mm-08 lacks the case volume to effectively launch 180gr VLDs.

I too am a big fan of the 6.5x55. I have one I had custom built on an Argentine 1909 M98 action w/ a medium weight 24" barrel that is one of the most accurate rifles I own. It has a Timney Trigger and a fixed 6X scope. That combination w/ appropriate bullets is just about THE perfect all round rifle one could get.
ct

Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #35

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy420
Go to a place that sells surplus rifles and get a Russian 91-30 rifle. They are just as good a gun as the new modern rifles at less than half the price.
The milsurp 91/30 is an amazing value and is more than powerful enough for deer, but unless you simply can't afford to spend more than $100-150 on your rifle IMO there's really not much to recommend them for hunting.

They're big and heavy and many people find the stocks clumsy. Their accuracy is iffy, depending on how worn they are. A good, modern bolt action is superior in every way as a hunting rifle.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #36

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

OK fine, just get a Remington 770. $350-$485ish

Old 06-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #37

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I would never recommend a Mosin to a young or new shooter, their recoil is more unpleasant then any non-magnum rifle I have ever shot. Not to mention they are long, heavy, awkward, and their trigger is about as crisp as tar. Accuracy is OK but not good by bolt action standards. There are MUCH better rifles out there for a newbie. But as an experenced rifleman I would rather have a Mosin then a Rem 770 which I consider trash. Best value on the market are the low end Savages and according to many the Ruger American which I saw on sale a few weeks ago for only $325 shame I did not have the cash on hand to grab one.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1257 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Nice try, but it didn't work. Like I said. Give it up and get over it!
ct
Let me get this straight. Do you honestly believe, if given a choice, for a new/young big game hunter of a 243, 260 Rem, or a 7-08 the 'best' choice would be 243????

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #39

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Let me get this straight. Do you honestly believe, if given a choice, for a new/young big game hunter of a 243, 260 Rem, or a 7-08 the 'best' choice would be 243????
Only if the new shooter was so incredibly recoil shy an 85gr pill was all they could handle. That is very rare, small framed female shooters can handle my 6.5x55 quite easily, and it does not even have a big cushy recoil pad. 7mm-08 and 260 Rem are both fantastic performers that trump the 243 in every measurable way with remarkably mild recoil.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #40

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Quote:

"Best" is a rather subjective word. What is "best" for one might not be "best" for another. I would have to say that either one of the three you mentioned would be entirely adequate for the new/young hunter, yet I am not the only one who knows it. The great gun writer, Jim Carmichael, believed that the .243 was probably the best choice for a new hunter. BTW, I know you are confused and it must be hell to have to go through life in a state of constant confusion.
ct