Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > recomendations/advice needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It sounds like a great choice. I had the T3 light in .30-06. Being a light rifle, it had a bit more recoil than a heavier rifle.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #12

If you want to reach out and touch things in the future, .308 is great. If you are into the AR platform, then you may be interested in the 6.5 Grendel. Retains more initial energy compared to the .308 out to and past a thousand yards. It shoots bullets in the 120 gr range best, but goes down to 90ish to 144ish. Enough for your Stag or light enough for kangaroos and dingo sized animals. All this and it has half the recoil of .308, in a semi auto platform, but the downsides are price, twice as much or more than a good .308 bolt, and ammo is not as plentiful. But all in all I would, and am going to, go for one.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 288

N-andonovski, Can you get your hands on an old Enfield rifle. I love those old guns, and the only reason I bring them up is that I wonder if Australia doesn't have a lot of military surplus rifles. The .303 Enfield cartridge is in the neighborhood of the of the other .30 cals, (neighborhood, not the same address) If "kick" is an issue, I don't feel that the .303 is that bad, but recoil is a personal thing, and not the same for all I know others will shoot this reply to pieces because there are more modern options than the .303, but if you want to learn to shoot there is not a better way than with a bolt action. They can be shot slower, and with more deliberation than something faster. If you practice enough to learn the art, you can get to the point of only needing one shot. Again, others will say that they can do this with their particular pet rifle, but I will say it again, I like this old rifle. Good luck with what ever you choose to shoot, and enjoy what you do with your range and hunting time.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."