Recoil reduction - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Recoil reduction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 102

They sell all manner recoil reducing devices - most help incrementally while others are outright lies. Everyone & their dog has some manner of test to back their claim.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

It depends on where you are. In Alabama all things are possible!!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #13

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Funny thing though, there have actually been cases of fighter jets outrunning their own bullets and shooting themselves down.
If this is true I want to see an official story.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #14

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
If this is true I want to see an official story.
It's as true as I can tell.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Tiger138260.htm

It supposedly also happened in a unit under the command of General Chuck Yeager, a Starfighter I believe.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Can someone pass that story on to VikingDad ? We have a bet going on his son cutting a playing card @25yds and this story might embolden him.

Military channel doesn't site this "accident" but there was a period when they took the guns out of our fighter planes in lieu of missiles. Naturally, they didnt work as advertised and pilots got shot down by lower tech MIGS.

The Navy, being the Navy, was "slow" to react. (Army vs Navy - what do you call 100 men on a ship ? 50 couples.... The joke is very old but close to reality now...)

Last edited by Gonzilla; 11-29-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8269 Times on 4778 Posts
Likes Given: 10691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Can someone pass that story on to VikingDad ? We have a bet going on his son cutting a playing card @25yds and this story might embolden him.

Military channel doesn't site this "accident" but there was a period when they took the guns out of our fighter planes in lieu of missiles. Naturally, they didnt work as advertised and pilots got shot down by lower tech MIGS.

The Navy, being the Navy, was "slow" to react. (Army vs Navy - what do you call 100 men on a ship ? 50 couples.... The joke is very old but close to reality now...)
Not sure how the story would embolden me or the boys, I have heard the story and Chuck Yeager does mention the phenomenon in his auto-biography. I believe it is possible within the laws of physics, albeit very hard to believe. Doesn't mean it can't happen and I am not going to argue the point with General Yeager in any case.. My sons have tried cutting a playing card in half with a .22 LR and they found it to be quite easy and repeatable. The challenge (I'm not aware of any bets on it) was if they could light a match with a bullet. We have talked about it and they are intrigued. They are going to start with rifles and if they can do it with a 10/22 then they will try it with the 22/45. I think I suggested that they try with the Blackhawk with a .38 Special handload as they is pretty darned accurate and repeatable as well as the larger bullet diameter would add more surface area available to strike the match head. Maybe we could build up a load for the .454 Casull in a .45 LC for an even greater diameter. In any case we won't be doing any shooting until after Christmas.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The challenge (I'm not aware of any bets on it) was if they could light a match with a bullet.
Can they use tracer ammo?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Can they use tracer ammo?
Sure. I'll run that up the flagpole. Just happen to have some in a couple of calibers. Also can try some incendiaries.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There was wager in the thread title - I viewed it as a friendly gentlemens variety - dont really recall if it was playing card or match stick. Started w cigarette.

You were pro, someone was con n - I was betting on the immortality of youth. The jet was a million to one shot story - it would hopefully inspire & amuse your son. - you as well.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
There was wager in the thread title - I viewed it as a friendly gentlemens variety - dont really recall if it was playing card or match stick. Started w cigarette.

You were pro, someone was con n - I was betting on the immortality of youth. The jet was a million to one shot story - it would hopefully inspire & amuse your son. - you as well.
Ah. OK. Gotcha. The boys have both read Yeager's AB, so we have talked about it in that context. Pretty much they are inspired by any trick shot and I enjoy it when they try them out.