Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Recoil reduction (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/recoil-reduction-77331/)

Redneck420 11-29-2012 01:23 AM

Recoil reduction

Is it possible to put enough/too much recoil reduction equipment on your gun to make it go forward really fast instead of going backward against your shoulder like it's supposed to?

kytowboater 11-29-2012 01:26 AM

Yep. It'll fly right outta your hands.

JonM 11-29-2012 01:29 AM

laws of physics say no.

laws of movie physics say yes.

pick the one you like best :)

Axxe55 11-29-2012 01:32 AM

but of course! too much and it will beat the bullet to the target!:eek:

seriously, weight is your friend when it comes to recoil. large magnum calibers that arein a light rifle package are fine for a hunter carrying the rifle all day long up and down hills and such, who might make a couple of shots in a day. target shooters can use more weight and can shoot more rounds in a day, before the recoil becomes tiring.

trip286 11-29-2012 01:48 AM

Y'all stop picking on this poor feller...

Stoned redneck (did I get that right? ;)), no, the rifle will not fly forward.
Funny thing though, there have actually been cases of fighter jets outrunning their own bullets and shooting themselves down.

Jpyle 11-29-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck420 (Post 1031452)
Is it possible to put enough/too much recoil reduction equipment on your gun to make it go forward really fast instead of going backward against your shoulder like it's supposed to?

No...you cannot change the direction or lessen the force of the recoil, all that you can do is disperse it into the inner assembly or have the weight (mass) of the rifle absorb it. The rule that every force has an equal and opposite force cannot be broken in the real world...Hollywood is another story. :)

KG7IL 11-29-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1031487)
Y'all stop picking on this poor feller...

Oh, you mean the OP wasn't joking.

Blueguns 11-29-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck420

Yeah, you know I put too much recoil reducing equipment on one of my guns, and sent it flying down the range off the bench rest. It's a bad idea, I'd be careful with that stuff.

In all seriousness, that would never happen. It denies all principles of physics and is impossible.

trip286 11-29-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 1031516)
Oh, you mean the OP wasn't joking.

I really don't think he is. Judging by his posts, I get the impression he's a total noob to firearms.

We may be starting with a completely blank slate to corrupt here guys...

Blueguns 11-29-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
We may be starting with a completely blank slate to corrupt here guys...

Sounds like a good time...