rechambering - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

rechambering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

A coyote will not be able to tell the difference between a bullet shot from a 223 and a 222, and for the price of haveing it rechambered you can buy alot of 222 ammo.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6836 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
Jon i did some searching and he did do it but with a very extensive mod, was it worth 2600 plus a good garand? nope not in my opinon, but then we all have our opinons.
thats why i never went that route but went with the socom instead. evidently from my research on this conversion at the time it was thoroughly tested and the garand excelled with the 458 winmag even the big 510grn loadings. its a big bullet but the cartridge itself doesnt generate all that much pressure.

the recomended garand according to the company at the time was one that was beatup or abused.

im a huge fan of the 458 winmag and 458 lott been shooting the 458 winmag since the late 80's mainly for whitetail deer hunting. i branched out to hog hunting which was what prompted me to seek a big bore semi-auto. i stumbled across that looking for one. then found the 458socom.

so i did a lot of research on caliber conversions. hence my reply to the OP whose thread we hijacked
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #13

jon that makes two of us, years ago i ordered a 98 action from federal firearms with a 458 win mag, i loved the darn thing but of course i was young, just out of the service and thought it was the thing. i still have the bbl'd action and will put in a stock one of these days, never could keep one on it. i think i paid somewhere around 15 bucks for a box of 500 grainers back then.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6836 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
jon that makes two of us, years ago i ordered a 98 action from federal firearms with a 458 win mag, i loved the darn thing but of course i was young, just out of the service and thought it was the thing. i still have the bbl'd action and will put in a stock one of these days, never could keep one on it. i think i paid somewhere around 15 bucks for a box of 500 grainers back then.
i load my own my deer load and typical range load is a 350grn softpoint about 2300ish fps. my winmag is a winchester mod 70 classic super express
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent