Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Real World training. What you should train in versus what you do train in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Real World training. What you should train in versus what you do train in

Tuesday, May 25, 2010Training Balance and How Good is Good Enough?
Part 1
A problem we’ve seen lately. Identified by JD, he relayed to me and I took some notes over the past few classes. It’s definitely there, more so now than I’ve seen in the past. A lot of people are becoming obsessed with shooting tests, unrealistic scenarios, and just plain silly drills (more on these later).

The first thing you need to do is clearly identify your needs of training FOR THE REAL WORLD, such as; carbine, pistol, blade, combatives, physical fitness, tactics. Once you’ve made a list of the what, honestly ask yourself what you really NEED the most and which one you just LIKE to do. Here lies the problem. We (humans) like to practice what we’re good at, and what makes us feel good. Over time this is a recipe for disaster.

Prioritize those needs- Next step is to put in order those training needs according to your job/application. Again, people aren’t honest with themselves. They want to do what is sexy or easy.

Myself as an example:

1) Fitness
2) Combatives
3) Blade
4) Pistol
5) Carbine
6) Tactics

What you say Kyle? You teach shooting for a living and pistol and carbine are 4 and 5? That’s right. REAL WORLD, remember? The chances of me using a carbine for real again are slim to none. Pistol is a little better (because I carry some). The biggest thing is I shoot both weapons week in and week out,every day!, so my need to train them is not there. My most likely scenario as a civilian is a fight in very close quarters. The blade is always with, but, hand to hand is more likely first. I list fitness number one because it helps so much in a fight, and the survivability and recovering of a confrontation. In my opinion fitness has to be in the top spot regardless.

An anonymous active duty friend's list:

1)Fitness
2)Tactics
3)Carbine
4)Blade
5)Combatives
6)Pistol

An anymous LEO friend's list:

1) Fitness
2) Pistol
3) Tactics
4) Carbine
5) Combatives
6) Blade

Prioritize.....
Posted by Kyle at 11:25 AM 11 comments:
Anonymous said...
My particular needs:

1) Fitness (for fight, but also for flight if I need to)
2) Awareness
3) Combatives, armed and unarmed (if without a blade I will use whatever I find on hand)
4) Pistol
5) Carbine
6) Tactics

May 25, 2010 12:43 PM
Lewis said...
I am full time LEO and my list is:

1. Combatives/Fitness
2. Intermediate force weapons
3. Pistol
4. Blade
5. Tactics
6. Carbine

I list combatives and fitness together because some of the best workouts I get are BJJ class and my opinion is that nothing prepares you (fitness wise) for fighting, like fighting. If I am away from class for a couple of weeks, but still run and do kettlebells, I see and definite down grade in my gas tank for grappling.

Carbine comes dead last because I simply do not run into very many situation where it is warranted for me to get it out. I am far more likely to have my pistol out during a building search than I am to have my carbine out for any reason.

May 25, 2010 9:25 PM
Anonymous said...
1) Situational awareness
2) Pistol
3) fitness
4) Shotgun
5) Tactics
6) Carbine

May 26, 2010 8:13 AM
Cole said...
Former Mil, non-LE law abiding citizen

1) Fitness
2) Combatitives (Jiu-Jitsu and Boxing)
3) Knife
4) First Aid
5) Tactics
6) Pistol

May 26, 2010 12:50 PM
Anonymous said...
Excellent post. A lot of folks have a hard time defining "real world" ie the context of their lives. Spot on.

May 26, 2010 11:03 PM
Anonymous said...
Great post, thinking about my own, as a disabled student would probably be:

1) awareness
2) knife
3) pistol
4) fitness
5) carbine

May 27, 2010 11:47 PM
Anonymous said...
As an LEO mine are....

1) Fitness
2) Pistol
3) Carbine
4) Combatives
5) Fitness..if you aren't in shape you are a liability.

May 28, 2010 9:50 AM
Anonymous said...
What I SHOULD do. (civilian, non-LEO)
1) Fitness
2) Combatives
3) Blade
4) Pistol
5) Tactics
6) Carbine

What I actually do
1) Pistol
2) Tactics
3) Carbine
4) Blade
5) Combatives
6) Fitness
I'll be damned if I give up my Twinkies. :P

May 29, 2010 2:21 AM
Tom Kier said...
Great subject Kyle, often over looked. We all have limited time and resources..how do we use them, is a good question.

May 30, 2010 2:43 AM
Anonymous said...
I think this post makes one of the most overlooked points in all of defensive/offensive mindsets. I would tend to say this, but it highly depends on if you were meaning "knife defense" or "knife offense":

1. Fitness
2. Combatives
3. Pistol
4. Tactics
5. Carbine
6. Blade (if we are talking blade offense, blade defense moves up two spots)

June 2, 2010 9:09 PM
Anonymous said...
1. Very basic fitness
2. Chop Stick Fighting and mixed Hand to Hand
3. Pistol and Tactics
4.Carbine

July 25, 2010 2:04 PM

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/05/tr...d-is-good.html

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Should of posted this in the training and safety section. My apologies.