Range Practice. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Range Practice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2302 View Post
If you can fire with no rest accurately that's the best!! With my health problems I have to rest off a tree or from sitting position.

Sometime I want to try a set of various height shooting sticks.
My wife uses a pair of shooting sticks. She likes them and learned to adjust the height without thinking about it. Just spread them far apart to start with then pull up to the height you need. She out shoots me big time. Hate to say it but it's a fact. Maybe I should start using them as well.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Tango id pay good money to see that.
As would I, but I don't think Tango is quite that big!

I only use rest support when I am shooting long distances. In the field, that can be prone, depending on the terrain, or I have got into the habit of carting around a mono leg expandable shooting stick. Portable, reliable and works great, especially in all kinds of weather. I can use it for both rifle and pistol and I can stand, kneel or sit, depending on said terrain and I utilize my rifle sling for better stability, and the shooting stick makes a great walking stick, as well. At the range, when I do bench shoot, I am usually doing sighting adjustment and using bore lasers, so I will use a bi-pod or sandbag, depending on what needs to be done.

90% of my shooting is freestyle, so I am a firm believer of short distance assaults; shoot, move strategically, cover, access situation, and shoot some more!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oops wrong forum...

Last edited by IXLR8; 12-11-2010 at 01:24 AM.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
I have shot pistols right handed all of my life. A couple of weeks ago, a Marine pulled up the bench at the range next to me and pulled out his pistol. He shot 1 mag right handed, then 1 mag left handed. He repeated this twice, and packed up and left. He never even posted a target...

The one time I tried shooting left handed last year, the slide ripped a soft part of my hand open. Since then I have been a little weary. But, I figured that I would try it again since that fine Marine made it look so easy.

It turns out that I can shoot more accurate left handed! Maybe my left hand has not learned all of the bad things that my right hand has. My muscle memory is much better right handed, but given time to aim the left is more accurate.
Your eyes may be cross dominant. Meaning your left eye may be dominant. I am cross dominant. Its fine with pistols as i shoot right handed i just turn my head more to look down the sights with my left eye. With rifles i just deal with it. Ive been shooting right handed all my life and ive yet to meet a rifle that can out shoot me so i see no reason to switch things up just because my left eye is dominant.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:06 AM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I am a lefty but do to injuries as a child I learned to use both hands. I now shoot left or right with both pistol and rifle, although I prefer right handed pistol and left hand rifle. I tell you one thing though I tried firing one handed and the right side was no problem, left side didnt like it to much.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 AM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default practice

just keep doing what your doing .....informal practice ........no benches or rest ,etc is the best practice on can do ,especially if you hunt...just like a bow hunter that walks and stalks ,shooting judo tips at stumps and sticks .i would bet that you shoot better offhand better than a ''paper'' sniper can shoot offhand. i would also bet that many of the rambo/operator/sniper guys with the latest mega $$$$$$$$-super toys dont shoot enough to be lethal at half the distance that their weapon is designed for ..but what do i know ,im just a peckerwood/ redneck with alot of (legally killed) deer meat in the freezer

Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #17

POWG Im a peckerhead/redneck too.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default brother from another mother

im ambidextrious too ...broke my rt wrist/arm bad when i was 9 ....had to learn how to write left handed .get this: im cross- eye dominant ...shoot pistol right handed ,right hand bow, left hand rifle ,shotgun, switch hit baseball,southpaw fighter ..........love older red headed barflies with big asses

Old 12-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
im ambidextrious too ...broke my rt wrist/arm bad when i was 9 ....had to learn how to write left handed .get this: im cross- eye dominant ...shoot pistol right handed ,right hand bow, left hand rifle ,shotgun, switch hit baseball,southpaw fighter ..........love older red headed barflies with big asses
I bat and throw right handed, throw like a sissy with the left.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!