Range Practice.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Range Practice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Range Practice.

I know a large number of you on here go to a range with the nice bench rests, however, we all don't have that luxury.

When I go out to practice it is in the woods off a logging road, no rests, no benches. I tend to practice either standing or kneeling shooting off shoulder with no rest. I hate to toot my own horn but I'm pretty good at it.

How do others here get their practice in? Do you practice off a bench rest that you wont likely have when SHTF or do you switch it up and shoot prone, off shoulder, sitting, kneeling and from cover? I personally see the benefit of shooting in all styles. If we ever have to flee the security of our homes then we should be prepared for all situations that arise and from a defensive standpoint that means being good in all shooting positions and in all conditions.

Being able to quickly re-load the weapons is also key, from reloading an entire magazine to fast magazine loads into the rifle and pistol we are using.

I ask you all this, what are some things you do that you feel would help in a real world SHTF situation, what are some things you might share that we don't all do on a regular basis to better ourselves?

IGETEVEN, I do hope you will share with us on this as I have read a great amount of your posts and your experience in the real world would be greatly helpful.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Last edited by doctherock; 12-10-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: typos

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #2

If you can fire with no rest accurately that's the best!! With my health problems I have to rest off a tree or from sitting position.

Sometime I want to try a set of various height shooting sticks.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #3

Those sticks are everywhere here in the northwest. As a matter of fact I have used sticks laying in a slash pile when lining up and checking a herd of deer. Never fired from them though because I'll be damned if every time I saw a large group there were no bucks to be found.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by doctherock; 12-10-2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Not for SHTF, but...

I don't practice near as much as what I'd like to but when I can, it's more than likely to be on rabbits. I'll definitely say that this is more like shooting than hunting, but we're allowed to spotlight vermin down here, so the majority of my big game practice is on small game from the back of the ute (truck ). Most shots on rabbits are performed freehand but when a fox is spotted the rifle is rested over the headboard to get a nice steady shot so the possibility of missing is reduced. Foxes that have been shot at before are VERY fast learners! Freehand shooting under lights has improved my hunting in the field.

When sighting in the rifles I shoot prone over a bipod with a sandbag rear rest.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would like to do other positions but as I have a slight weight problem I can't lay on the ground because if I did my arms and legs wouldn't touch the ground and all I would do is sit there and flail about and teeter back and forth.

I used to shoot from many different positions. Army training was good for that.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I would like to do other positions but as I have a slight weight problem I can't lay on the ground because if I did my arms and legs wouldn't touch the ground and all I would do is sit there and flail about and teeter back and forth.
Hehehe

Old 12-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:

Tango id pay good money to see that.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
So would I.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #9

Default Range practice

I have allways shot A pistol in A standing postion and an ocasionaly prone. As far as rifle I will bench rest new or reloaded ammo for testing groups and placement on target. Then all shooting is done standing --- will eventally get to prone or sitting postions. The two most important parts of good performance is Trigger pull and sight picture. keep em in the black --- Tom

Old 12-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7106 Times on 4277 Posts
Likes Given: 8625

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
So would I.
That was funnier than all get out. I've seen your shartfoo video. You are not fat.