Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Range/Defense Rifle Suggestions Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^ Semantics or terminology difference I would say. *shrug*

While RRA would qualify as a production house, in a very loose sense, they are not turning out their NM rifles at the rate & in the configurations that they are moving their standard rifles. Hell, from their website you can order a 16" complete .223 rifle for $640 ( less lower receiver ) and need no FFL to have it shipped to you. I would say that a lower receiver will NEVER cost you the difference of the $275 to get to the price you paid. I would submit that would be the same difference in buying, say, a Kimber model from their Pro Shop as opposed to their standard production line model. In that advent, no manufacturer is going to offer a guarantee on a weapon that doesn't go through some sort of "higher standard" - be it tighter tolerances, hand fit parts, custom ( upgraded ) parts, or a just plain hand inspection to insure that you are providing a product that meets the advertising.

I agree that RRA is a production house and they do turn out a fine product, I just consider an AR rifle that MSRP's for over a grand to be a bit above the average price & care production run of their products. Getting it for $915 was a god d@mn steal, so HEAVY KUDOS to you for nailing down that price. Well played sir, well played.

The weapon is none the less a fine piece of kit and I would have no problem fielding one of their products should a SHTF situation occur and one was at hand.

JD

Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
^ Semantics or terminology difference I would say. *shrug*

While RRA would qualify as a production house, in a very loose sense, they are not turning out their NM rifles at the rate & in the configurations that they are moving their standard rifles. Hell, from their website you can order a 16" complete .223 rifle for $640 ( less lower receiver ) and need no FFL to have it shipped to you. I would say that a lower receiver will NEVER cost you the difference of the $275 to get to the price you paid. I would submit that would be the same difference in buying, say, a Kimber model from their Pro Shop as opposed to their standard production line model. In that advent, no manufacturer is going to offer a guarantee on a weapon that doesn't go through some sort of "higher standard" - be it tighter tolerances, hand fit parts, custom ( upgraded ) parts, or a just plain hand inspection to insure that you are providing a product that meets the advertising.

I agree that RRA is a production house and they do turn out a fine product, I just consider an AR rifle that MSRP's for over a grand to be a bit above the average price & care production run of their products. Getting it for $915 was a god d@mn steal, so HEAVY KUDOS to you for nailing down that price. Well played sir, well played.

The weapon is none the less a fine piece of kit and I would have no problem fielding one of their products should a SHTF situation occur and one was at hand.

JD

You are correct in the sense that $915 was a good deal for that particular weapon, however, I remind you that that price is available to anyone who orders it the way I did. All you need is for an FFL holder to give you a signed copy of his FFL so you can order it yourself - it will be shipped to him, but you will get the "dealer price" and avoid the sales tax! In fact, the FFL dealer who ordered it for me was sent a "Dealer Pricing Catalog" after they sent my rifle to him. He gave me the catalog. You would not believe the mark-up a non-dealer pays! That $640 price you quoted for an upper receiver is almost twice the dealer's price. Of course you need an FFL holder who is either a friend or a very good acquaintence, since most dealers would LOVE to make $300+ on the sale of a gun!
Also, RRA offers accuracy guarantee's on ALL of their rifles, not just their "high end" models. The standard AR which retails for $300 less than their NM version has an accuracy rating of 1" moa. Oddly, the Government Model ( the ridiculous looking Tactical ego-boosting model) retails for over $2000 and only has an accuracy rating of 1.5". What some people will pay to look cool is beyond me....
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-15-2008 at 02:21 AM.