Range/Defense Rifle Suggestions Needed - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Range/Defense Rifle Suggestions Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Yep AMEN!

AMEN! on items one two and three.

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Why not do like the Filipino Marines? They went with a heavy barreled M-16 rifle/AR-15 version that has a scope mounted on it. I think that they shoot the heavier bullets but it would probably also work with the lighter, more common 55 grain bullets too, if need be. That way you could be using a .223 caliber bullet for accurate fire or, if need be, use it for a tactical rifle too. I would suggest that you think about the AR-15 rifles as modular systems so that you could have one lower and a couple of different uppers which you could switch as needed. Take a look at Bushmaster and Model "1" upper halves and then buy a lower assembly that will work with the uppers that you want. You could then have one rifle that could double as a .223 sniper rifle with a heavy barrel or change tops to have a short 16.5 inch tactical upper. Just a thought.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:32 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
Still up in the air on bolt or semi as well. Just curious what you all have for plinker guns for long range shooting.

What about the Remington 700?
I bought the DPMS equivalent of the Armalite AR-10. It's the LR-308B - "B" meaning bull barrel. It's an 18" barreled Flat-top with gas-block rail. I've got an 8 -24 x 50mm scope on it, but I also bought flip-up front & rear iron sights. A detachable carry handle with A2 sights is also available. It's got a 1 in 10 twist, A2 Stock with free-float aluminum handguard. It doesn't have a port door or shell deflector, but it doesn't seem to need it. The barrel is almost 1" thick and the damned thiing weighs over 10 lbs. so recoil isn't an issue. It shoots sub 1" groups with factory ammo and I'm currently working on accurate reloads.
The cost? $849 through "R-Guns". I'm taking it to Camp LeJeune in July to try out some long range shooting. A quality AR will shoot just as accurately as a quality bolt action, and in many cases even more accurately than an out-of-the-box bolt gun, depending on how much you want to spend on a good bolt gun. The only compalint I have is the trigger - it's gritty. I am ordering a Chip McCormick adjustable match trigger for an additional $125. I have a Rock River Arms AR-15 in .223 that cost $915 and it needs nothing. The accuracy is match grade right out of the box. It has a National Match 2-stage trigger, 20" stainless air-guaged bull barrel, hogue grip,thermo-mold free-float handguard, detachable carry handle with 1/4 x 1/4 National Match Hooded .030aperture rear, and it comes with a 3/4 moa guarantee - mine does considerable better with 69 gr. Sierra HPBT Matchkings. I was going to order their .308 version, but they have not started production on it yet and they are backlogged with orders for the
.308 dating back to Dec. 2007! RRA was awarded a 5 yr. contract with the DEA and FBI, so there is a 10-12 week wait on the .223 version. I'm glad I waited. RRA also sells just about every caliber upper as well as a variety of options you would ever want from 9mm to .458 Socom. I highly recommend them. To be awarded contracts for 5000 rifles for both the DEA and FBI they must be doing something right! Hope this helps.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-05-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #24

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Remington 700 SPS Varmint would be a fine choice. Read an article on it and the review was nothing but fantastic.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #25

You can't go wrong with either remington or savage both extremely well made rifles and extremely capable of sub moa

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by h&k bigdaddydieseldan View Post
You can't go wrong with either remington or savage both extremely well made rifles and extremely capable of sub moa
Um, can you provide some accurate data on that? Sub moa factory rifles with factory barrels? At what range? With what ammo?

I don't know of any "factory" rifle that guarantees sub moa performance, at any range - and very few "custom" rifle builders will give you a written guarantee.

JD

Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Um, can you provide some accurate data on that? Sub moa factory rifles with factory barrels? At what range? With what ammo?

I don't know of any "factory" rifle that guarantees sub moa performance, at any range - and very few "custom" rifle builders will give you a written guarantee.

JD
My RRA NMA4 has a factory guarantee of 3/4 MOA. It does better than that with reloads...

Old 05-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #28

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default plinking/defense rifle

I can think of several semiauto rifles for less than 1000$ and a few that's over that amount but worth it. I would stick to .308 semi battle rifle due to the facts: they are extremely tough,less likely to break down or malfunction when you need them most,almost inpossible to wear out during any kind of NORMAL use-even abnormal use,the .308 has the punch to drop a man as far as you can hit him with such a rifle ON 1ST SHOT,reasonably accurate,and they flat out work.
The first rifle that comes to mind is the m1a/m14,you can find used 1s for less than 1K,while new 1s are a bit higher than that. The m1a is fed by 20 round detachable magazines. Springfield armoury is my pick for these.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
My RRA NMA4 has a factory guarantee of 3/4 MOA. It does better than that with reloads...
Unless I miss my guess, that is the Rock River Arms National Match A4. I would hardly classify that as a stock factory rifle since it comes with upgraded parts, like a Wilson heavy barrel, a two stage tuned trigger and a free floated barrel. A beautiful piece.

None the less, my point was that very few factory rifle makers ( Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc ) are going to give you a guarentee on accuracy. If you are buying one of their custom pieces, you might get some sort of guarantee, but for the most part, unless you are shelling out a premium price, don't expect a guarantee on performance.

The one lone stand out, that I know of, is Weatherby ( Howa ) - they do offer a guarantee on their SUB-MOA Varmint and deserve honorable mention as the rifle is listed at about $950. That said, they only guarentee .99" three shot group at 100 yards, with their ammo or one of their listed substitutes. They make no guarentees beyond that, but they are the only "factory" that I know who is offering this type of guarantee.

JD

Old 05-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Unless I miss my guess, that is the Rock River Arms National Match A4. I would hardly classify that as a stock factory rifle since it comes with upgraded parts, like a Wilson heavy barrel, a two stage tuned trigger and a free floated barrel. A beautiful piece.

JD
It IS a stock factory rifle - it is just set-up for match shooting in it's standard configuration. I didn't order any "options". For $915 I got a factory rifle with Match capability.. The same with my DPMS AR in .308 - no special options - $849 for a factory rifle that shoots sub moa...If you are comparing these rifles to factory bolt guns, then you are right - Winchester, Remington, SAvage, don't offer accuracy "guarantee's", but generally these bolt guns are now marketed as "Tactical" rifles. They are primarily intended for hunting medium to large game where sub moa accuracy is not really necessary. If I wanted an accurate hunting rifle I would not hesitate to buy any of the ones mentioned, and I am sure by handloading that I could get the same accuracy that I get with my AR's. Hell, I have a No.1 MkIII SMLE,6.5x55 Swede, and FR-8 Spanish Mauser that shoot as well as any modern hunting rifle.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-13-2008 at 06:39 PM.