Range/Defense Rifle Suggestions Needed - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Range/Defense Rifle Suggestions Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 04:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My long range gun is based off of a browning A bolt composite stalker.
I had the trigger changed to a William set. And a Hart heavy fluted Titanium barrel placed on it. At the same time they were lapping the threads and chambering the barrel I had them make a set of loading dies to match. Topped off with Leupold hi rise mounts and of course a Leupold Vari XIII. in a 300mag.
Dose this fit in for long range. Because it wont ring in under $6000.00 .
Tactical welllll one bark from her and the block will empty.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Look at the M1As, but be prepared to spend double what you want to.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #13

M1 Garands are available for 595 for a service grade Garand from CMP right NOW. Rack grades are 495. SOG has em for a bit more, but I've heard their quality just really isn't there.

I got my CMP Garand for 595 3 weeks ago.

Alternatives - AK47, SKS, AR-15...

Old 09-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #14

Well,what Phil just said shot down my normal "AK" Responce. If the government indeed engages in democide,then yes,an AR-15 would definatly be my choice.
However,under normal circumstances,for a Long range weapon under 1000,heres my list

Bolt Action: Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine,a few good mods,pick one up in imaculate condition for about $200,Ammo is cheap,Maintainance is simple.
Semi Automatic: M1 Garand,Simple to maintain and fire,excellent stopping power,ammo is Milsurp. Accurate.
As for tactical AK-47 or AR-15,both are readily available,both have mods left and right,both types of ammunition are readily availible,and both are dependable,reliable guns. Ive seen Great shape AK's go for about 400,and new Ars go for about 600-650 range.
Vintovka Mosina 1891/30 with Monte Carlo Stock, Muzzle brake, bi-pod, custom bent bolt, tri-rail with x12 variable power AIM sports scope, range finder reticle green or red illumination, 2.5 IB match trigger.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #15

Default semi auto or bolt for longrange and pertection

AR's are fun to shoot but I would not trust my life to one, They are a nightmare when they get dirty, Jam something fears, a bolt gun dose not make a good pertection firearm, AK works in strait mud and dirt, but 7.62x39 round is not very powerful to say the least, my desision would have to be a FN/FAL Big bullet very accurate never james And will reach out there with extreame accuracy considering its a semi-auto, and there is alway's going to be lots of ammo available .308 plus that gun just looks good. Oh, and let me add, It is very easy to break down and clean. I hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default a tough one...

Boy, you couldn't have made it more challenging could you? A long range gun that doubles for home-defense? That's almost like finding a Ferrari that gets great gas mileage What caliber, max distance, semi or manual, etc, etc etc.

Alot of really good suggestions and it would be more helpful if you defined your needs in this one piece. For accurate long distance shooting, it used to be bolt-action only. But with semis like FAL, G3/HK, AR10's, M1/M1A's, now semis can reach out with accuracy and quick follow-ups. But, that $1000 limit will also limit alot of your choices in that arena.

You might be better off to look at some of the bolt action packages, such as Savage, that package a decent bolt action in various calibers w/ Accu-trigger, plus a scope for less than your limit. The extra cash will help with the ammunition, carry cases, etc. Alot of your sporting goods outlets offer package deals, specially at this time of the year, so that might be something to look at locally in your area.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #17

Maybe you just need multiple guns.

SKS...
Range/Defense Rifle Suggestions Needed - General Rifle Discussion

Mossberg 44 US (.22 LR)

Both...

1942 M1 Garand

Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #18

1944 Garand

Kimber Pro Carry II (.45 ACP)

Variety is the spice of life. Acquired all of these in the last 5 months to get my collection jumpstarted.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #19

Default Build one

These guys make great actions. Chose the caliber you want for your needs and make the gun fit you!

http://www.montanarifleman.com/index.html

BTW thank you for the new guy (npbwbass) welcome!

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
What about the Remington 700?
If you can wait a couple of days, I am working on an in depth analysis of the Remington 700, Winchester Model 70 and the Howa 1500 bolt rifle actions. I think you will find some good information and it might help you make a decision based on some really good facts.

D